• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paradude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    What's the best gun cleaner to use?I use Hoppes but I would like to try some other recommended cleaners.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I use either Break Free CLP or Hoppes. Pretty standard. I'll pick up other varieties of extra strength bore cleaners now and then for some heavy duty stuff considering I don't have a dry solvent tank available.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Not a solvent, but synthetic motor oil contains plenty of detergents. I've noticed that guns clean up alot easier with motor oil versus Hoppes or FP10.

Lumberjack98

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Katy
    I clean with Brek Free CLP and then Hoppes in the places where it is really gunked up.

I do find that using CLP on all of the areas prone to buildup makes it MUCH easier to clean after the next time I go shooting. Much more so than the standare gun oil I used prior to CLP.

Blue Wonder is fantastic for getting really dirty bbls clean and also removes surface rust without the need for abrasives.

Posit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Like most, I've tried many. Right now, I use Butch's Bore Shine for for powder residue, and Montana Extreme Copper Killer for copper. The Montana is the absolute best I've used for copper; usually don't need a brush, just patches until it comes clean. When I do use a brush, its nylon.

Bought a used rifle a couple of months ago; nastiest bore I've seen. I resorted to JB's bore paste to get most of the fouling out, then finished with the combination above.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I use Hoppes on personal weapons, but I have to use Break Free or CLP on military weapons. I like Break free better though.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    Recently, I started using foaming bore cleaner for rifles and it works really good. I have used about everything ever sold, but I usually go back to Hoppes and CLP. Usually clean with Hoppes and lubricate with CLP.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Most of the time now, I use Hoppes semi-auto. Sometimes I use Shooters Choice or Hoppes benchrest. I have also been known to use Butches Bore Shine and Blue Wonder. If the copper gets really bad I use some CR-10 or JB bore paste.

rick458

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    La Porte
    I use FP-10, many Q-tips, soft cotton rags, needle, patches, Bore snake, and Sweet's 7.62 for pistols.
    I use Dewey coated rods and brass jags with Sweet's 7.62 on the patches for the Rifles, with FP-10 for wipe down.
    on the Stainless pistols I use Flitz for light polishing and a buffing wheel with white rouge
    for scratches. It works for me

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Any cheap cleaner like CLP, break free or WD 40 to de-carbonize. I use a Sonicare, [just save the old brush heads], with Eds Red Cleaner for the little parts. Wilson Combat oil for re-assembly. Foaming bore cleaner, then patched with Mother's polymer car wax to ultra clean and polish the bore.

Top Bottom