Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Chiappa Half-Pint Sharps in .30-30 Win.
    Originally purchased this thing early last year. The seller reported no issues with it at the time.
    After getting it home it was several weeks before I had a chance to fire the thing.
    When I did the initial range test it just flat azz didn't work.
    Multiple failures to fire.
    Removing the firing pin revealed the tip of the firing pin to be sheared off. So, the fail to fire issue was due to the firing pin being too short.
    Okey Dokey. We'll order a new firing pin.
    NOPE.
    Chiappa parts come from Italy. Italy was slammed closed due to the rice rabies. No parts anywhere. Deadlined.
    Fvck.
    So the little Sharps got relegated to the closest of Lost Guns. Its where the broken and non-working guns hide out until I get around to fixin'em.
    Couple of weeks ago I got some time to start messing with them. Off to the InterweBz I go and lo and behold parts are now available. Parts arrive and goddamm if they don't fit. Now the firing pins it too long and sticks out of the breach face preventing the action from closing. The tip of the pin is contacting the bottom of the barrel preventing breach closure. So I knew I had to have enough firing pin protrusion for ignition but the pin had to retract far enough back into the breachblock for action operation.
    After some study I determined there had to be some metal removed somewhere. Somewhere was the back side of the Firing Pin Pusher. This is the piece of metal that transfers the hammer strike across the breachblock to the back of the firing pin. Its held in by a small back plate screwed to the backside of the block. Carefully filing and stoning I was able to get enough clearance for the firing pin spring to retract the pin enough for breach closure.
    Today it went for test fire. It passed! YAY!
    pic
    0312A4B4-3321-4822-818E-38F56BDAF54E.jpeg

Now I can't shoot it because 30-30 ammo is unobtanium.
    FML

Jarine88

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    Tomball
    Before I discovered that I needed to have a new roof and some expensive dental work, I picked up these:

1c65b2895f4babbca0d1a40533e33e35.jpg

11b2da419faf781e089d6e664d4b986b.jpg

7e907992f24b811410066ddf9a7bcd37.jpg

The first is a Ruger American in .30-06. It is my first .30-06, and I am looking forward to getting it to the range.

The second is a Tristar 12ga over/under.

The third is an old 12 ga Winchester MKII 1400.

Unfortunately, these will be my last purchases for some time.

Of course, I broke my rule again about limiting my calibers. First it was 5.56 and .308 only. Then I added 6.5 CM in 2019. Now, with this .30-06, I have to start finding ammo another in another caliber. I am not paying Gunbroker prices for ammo.

Speaking of ammo, my father-in-law passed away on the first, and I ended up with 650 rounds of 115 gr FMJ 9mm.

Top Bottom