DFW
    Bought this on Thursday 20210127_212146.jpg

Tihsepa

Perpetually Confused
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    Aubrey, Tx.
    I went to a gun show with about $600 cash and my plastic this afternoon. Was thinking of buying anything that might have been a bargain or at least at a decent price. I did not spend a penny and wasted three hours of drive time round trip, a few gallons of gas and the$9.00 admission fee.

500 rounds of 9mm JHP, 115 grain, (run of the mill stuff, nothing special) asking $999.99

200 Rounds of Winchester 5.56 M855, asking $300.00

Mosin Nagant Izhevsk, asking $800.00 and I am pretty sure numbers did not match and it was an average MN at best. The best price I saw on a Mosin Nagant, and I looked at several was $450.00.

Remington Nylon 66 Mohawk Brown, asking $800.00

Winchester Super-X, 12 Ga. Slugs, 2.75" - 7 shells wrapped in plastic kitchen wrap, asking $24.00

Remington Core Lokt 30-30, asking $60.00

I had to pretty much stop looking at prices otherwise my head might have exploded.

Steel AK-47 30 round mags, Croatian made, $34.99 each

My bet is it's only going to get worse, so buy now if you find what you want.

I went to the show in Fort Worth. These people are out of line even on the stuff you can just walk in and pick up retail. PMags for 35 bucks? I wanted four. I stopped at a LGS on the way home and bought 10 for the same cash. Glock 48 mags for the wife? 50% over retail. I picked them up for 22.99 at the same LGS. Glock 19’s were 900 plus.
    One guy had a Colt 38 Super he was pushing me hard on at 3K and would not let me just walk away. Nice but nothing special. He asked me to offer what I felt it was worth and he might take it. I told him no and he insisted. 1500 was my offer which I explained was 20% over what it was worth. Well, I only have one still.
    This garbage is insane.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Corrected my buying inactivity for today and just made a purchase of 10 Mec-Gar 1911 Government, 45 ACP, 7 round mags from Red River reloading.

Will be trading an Argentine 1927 (1911) to my son in the near future (near future for THE Great Procrastinator - me) for an Arsenal SLR 107 plus whatever else he needs to make up for difference in value. So, 5 of these 1911 mags are probably destined for him the rest for me. Now, I just need to hope Mec-Gar is good quality stuff; I seem to remember people on the forum saying Mec-Gar makes excellent mags but of course I have been wrong before :facepalm: as to what I remember.

Anyway, I could not agree with Moonpie more than I do, which is 100%: buy mags now.

Mec-Gar good, ProMag bad.

My credit card is still smoking from buying mags the last few weeks. I’m too embarrassed to say how much $ or how many mags.

justashooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    This weekend I went to Simmons Sporting Goods in Bastrop LA and was able to get plenty of 9mm 115gr FMJ ammo for $19.99 a box. They had about 20 different brands all at the same price. Limit of 2 boxes. This morning I get an ad in my email from CTD for Magtech 115gr 9mm FMJ for $99.99 a box. No that is not a typo.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Mec-Gar good, ProMag bad.
    Thanks, I thought so about the Mec-gar but was uncertain as I usually avoid after market mags for my pistols. In this case though, there are so many decent aftert market mags for all the various 1911 cversions, I figured I am better off with them than with paying premiums for OEM mags.

As for Pro-Mag, I already knew about them. I decided years ago not to purchase another Pro-Mag after having bought a couple or few (or maybe it was even only one) mag(s) from them for a Beretta 92SB. The spring was basically a strip pf metal that was wraped around a an internal roller (or maybe around itself) much like one of those roll up party horns folks sometimes use on new year's Eve.

1612204698095.png

The spring was riveted to the mag body near the feed lips and also to the follower. Worst design ever, in my opinion, for a mag spring, jammed frequently.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Picked up 600 rounds of Monarch steel cased 9mm at Academy today (some 9mm probably better than none, even that stuff). Then went to Wally World and bought the only three boxes of ammo on their shelves - Federal 410 gauge shells, 25 rounds per box. Atwood's had 6mm Creedmor, 300 WSM and one other caliber I cannot recall right now. I had no need for any of them.

Got to Academy at 0848 and there had to be 25, if not 30, people on line in front of me. They had Winchester 9mm FMY, 100 rounds per box (or may have been 200) but that was sold out by the time I was next in line. They also had Winchester FMJ 45 ACP in 100 round boxes, 50 round boxes of Winchester 9mm (one was left when I got to the shelves, guy in front of me grabbed 3 of the last 4), Monarch steel cased 7.62x39, Hornady 9mm (expensive stuff at about $27 per box of 20 or 25), 308 of some sort, and a few to several other calibers. in small amounts. One of the clerks told me that people have been showing p at 3AM to see if a delivery truck is there and the line starts forming around 5AM.

It only seems to be getting worse as time goes by. I think that once the demoncrats start spewing out anti-gun legislation oir an outrageous ammo tax, which I think now will be put off for awhile for fear of another attack on Congress (but not be more than 6 months away) things probably will get much worse.

Last edited:

Tihsepa

Perpetually Confused
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    Aubrey, Tx.
    Picked up 20 boxes of .45 at Academy today. Just spent two hours with the wife moving it out of the store 6 boxes at a time. 3 each. 19.99 per box. Or, grabbed a Glock 19x while I was there. 599.00. Just because it was there. Tossed it in the safe.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Went to Cabelas this weekend and picked up the following:
    - 1 replacement powder funnel $5
    - 1 can of One Shot spray lube $13
    - 1 box of Herters brass 9mm for $13

They actually had 9mm, and $13 didn't seem so bad.
    Headstamp says *USA* so I liked it.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    This weekend I went to Simmons Sporting Goods in Bastrop LA and was able to get plenty of 9mm 115gr FMJ ammo for $19.99 a box. They had about 20 different brands all at the same price. Limit of 2 boxes. This morning I get an ad in my email from CTD for Magtech 115gr 9mm FMJ for $99.99 a box. No that is not a typo.
    Wth were you doing in Bastrop?

Analog Kid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Rockwall, Texas
    I went to a gun show with about $600 cash and my plastic this afternoon. Was thinking of buying anything that might have been a bargain or at least at a decent price. I did not spend a penny and wasted three hours of drive time round trip, a few gallons of gas and the$9.00 admission fee.

500 rounds of 9mm JHP, 115 grain, (run of the mill stuff, nothing special) asking $999.99

200 Rounds of Winchester 5.56 M855, asking $300.00

Mosin Nagant Izhevsk, asking $800.00 and I am pretty sure numbers did not match and it was an average MN at best. The best price I saw on a Mosin Nagant, and I looked at several was $450.00.

Remington Nylon 66 Mohawk Brown, asking $800.00

Winchester Super-X, 12 Ga. Slugs, 2.75" - 7 shells wrapped in plastic kitchen wrap, asking $24.00

Remington Core Lokt 30-30, asking $60.00

I had to pretty much stop looking at prices otherwise my head might have exploded.

Steel AK-47 30 round mags, Croatian made, $34.99 each

My bet is it's only going to get worse, so buy now if you find what you want.
    Indeed it sure has gotten stupid out there. I would be embarrassed to ask those prices of someone.. I will NEVER sell the ammo I have in stock. If the ammo situation does not improve soon, gun sales will drop like a hammer. New gunners are not interested in used classics and those who are know what a realistic price is..

Analog Kid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Rockwall, Texas
    I went to the show in Fort Worth. These people are out of line even on the stuff you can just walk in and pick up retail. PMags for 35 bucks? I wanted four. I stopped at a LGS on the way home and bought 10 for the same cash. Glock 48 mags for the wife? 50% over retail. I picked them up for 22.99 at the same LGS. Glock 19’s were 900 plus.
    One guy had a Colt 38 Super he was pushing me hard on at 3K and would not let me just walk away. Nice but nothing special. He asked me to offer what I felt it was worth and he might take it. I told him no and he insisted. 1500 was my offer which I explained was 20% over what it was worth. Well, I only have one still.
    This garbage is insane.
    I haven't been to a gun show since 2008.. AND NEVER WILL AGAIN...

GP40X

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    League City, TX
    Got to buy a 225 round box of Remington 22 Golden Bullet 22 LR at Shoot Point Blank today (the only box they had) and finally got to shoot their Ruger MK IV 22/45 Tactical rental gun. Itr was a hoot to shoot and I had a blast. Haven't got to shoot 22 pistol in a very long time. Now all I gotta do is find one to spend some of that Biden Harris stimulus money on. I think everyone who gets some stimulus needs to spend it on firearms and ammunition.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Gun shows have been nutzoid since about 1992.
    What kills me about the ammo guys there are the crazy old antique vintage ammo they’re STILL trying to sell.
    I mean come on dude. You’ve packed that same box of .30-40 Krag around since 1978 and you haven’t sold it yet. You think you might be asking too much?
    Some of that stuff has been carried into shows for decades.

Top Bottom