• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    And I found an unexpected item...Saw what looked like a sporterized Mauser at the LGS. When I got to look at it, it was a Western Field, but definitely a classic Mauser action...and a great trigger. Turns out it is a Heym made Mauser from West Germany. It is a K98 large ring commercial action. They came with Timney triggers. Heym made contract rifles for Montgomery Ward back in the 60’s. Internet research shows they are desired for their actions but seem to indicate they were good shooters as well. Even though Heym rifles go for $2k or more these don’t draw the dollars because of the Western Field name.

I haven’t had the chance to take pictures yet...but one very similar I found online looks like this.
    d8ebdb7dc7a1a586f7690ae1eb15d3dd.jpg

The stock is not quite as nice but I figure I will refinish it and should get close to the one in the photo.

It is .30-06, really didn’t need another ‘06, but my goto ‘03A3 sporter needed some company. My other 03A3’s are all original and safe queens. Those Mauser actions are just smooth and the controlled feed captures the round from the magazine.

It came with a simple plano hard case, 2 boxes of federal ammo, and has a Bushnell 6x scope on it. I think I’ll put a 3-9 variable on it.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I'm happy to have multi AP hit capability, but I could die happy in 3+. If its your day its your day... I don't have to wear it all day maybe a few hours max when I do, and I am pretty fit so the weight isn't too big a handicap. But if I was going to wear all day, I would look for a nicer carrier and maybe lighter plates (or ditch the side plates)

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    I hear ya, while I'm in pretty good shape, when loaded down with 20lbs of un-natural weight, it's amazing how 7+ lbs makes a difference in how agile you can be. Swift movement is my main concern, not the weight itself.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I hear ya, while I'm in pretty good shape, when loaded down with 20lbs of un-natural weight, it's amazing how 7+ lbs makes a difference in how agile you can be. Swift movement is my main concern, not the weight itself.
    It was the battle tanks fough in ww2 (and even currently. More armour and slower and take some hits or less armour, faster and try not to get hit

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    It was the battle tanks fough in ww2 (and even currently. More armour and slower and take some hits or less armour, faster and try not to get hit

With modern armor, you can have both. My level 4 and 3+ are multi hit capable of 855A1, I believe 6 rounds for both. So really the weight is the only difference, unless I get tagged with 30.06 AP on the 3+.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Well not exactly gun stuff but there is a gun sort of!

I think I had best go back to Academy Sports and get a couple or few more of these for stocking stuffers. I didn't know even one normal American boy, from way back when I was a youngster, who did not love his collection of little green army men!

Soldier Bottle Opener.jpg

I am going to get at least another one or two for myself. Because they are made of zinc alloy, I am a bit concerned the rifle is going to break off after opening not too many bottles considering it was made in the junk capital of the planet. If I am right and it comes down to the last one because of that, I'll keep that one as a curiosity and never use it except as a showpiece.

It is a shame it was made in China which truly sucks for such an American icon but I bought it anyway because I have never seen another like it that is made here. My guess is even more made in China shit than ever will be our lot over the next 4 to 8 years unless Trump pulls off a miracle.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Got my son a pen made out of two 308 shell casings, supposedly once fired U.S. military casings. Thought that would be nice since he took his first buck with a 308 this weekend. Nice thing about this pen, besides being firearms themed, is they tell you what size cartridge to replace the old one with when it runs out of ink.

Top Bottom