Texas SOT

What handgun do you feel best represents your generation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    Being born in the early 70's I would say the Beretta 92FS/M9 would be the best to represent my generation as it was very popular and seen all over the 1980's. I identify with that decade the most out of any other.

I completely agree regarding the Beretta. It’s also my favorite.

die_hard_s878x1356.jpg

600px-LethalW19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    While I love 1911’s, the Beretta 92 is probably the correct one. I was born in 1957 and when the Beretta won the handgun trials when I was on active duty as a junior Captain everyone was excited about it. At the time with very few exceptions the duty sidearm in USAF was the SW Model 15.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I was reading this thread waiting for my wife in a store recently and saw some teens walk by. All I can think it this is how they will answer this questions...if it doesn't make them run off to a safe space...

61aCIA%2BLVfL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Attachments

• 61aCIA%2BLVfL._AC_SX425_.jpg
      61aCIA%2BLVfL._AC_SX425_.jpg
      24.1 KB · Views: 369

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Being born in the early 70's I would say the Beretta 92FS/M9 would be the best to represent my generation as it was very popular and seen all over the 1980's. I identify with that decade the most out of any other.

Just for your info, I believe the timeline goes something like this:

The Beretta 92FS & M9 pistols were not produced in the 1970s although that is when production of the 92S went into effect; Beretta also commenced production of the 92SB in the 70s. As to the 92FS/M9, they were not all over the 1980s but rather were in use from the mid 80s onward. The U.S. Military contract with Beretta for the M9 was effective in 1985 (source).

The predecessor of the 92FS/M9 were: The 92S which was produced from the early or mid 1970s (deemed unacceptable as a military or LE weapon even in Italy). Those Beretta pistols tested for U.S. Military use first came to us in the mid to late 1970s. The first was the 92-S1 (later aka: 92SB) - it initially was produced in the late 1970s or early 1980s for the USAF trials; the 92-SBF (produced in the early 1980s - a modified 92SB that was made for subsequent U.S. Military trials and was essentially the 92F except by name) and then came the 92F designation. Only after all of them were the first 92FS/M9 pistols produced.

I don't know about which pistol best represents my generation - if indeed any represents us - but the one by which I have been the most influenced in a positive manner are my Beretta 92 series pistols and my Glocks.

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

m5215,

For my generation, (I was born in 11/46) it is the Colt's GM or a S&W or Colt's .38/.357 revolver.
    (My first duty handgun was a PRE-WWII, circa 1935, S&W .38SPL, which my mother HAD to buy for me so that I could go to work as a LEO in 1965. - She paid 40.oo, including Sam Browne, holster, cuffs & a HALF-box of LFN ammo. = I was then a "red hot 18YO" & too young to buy a pistol for myself.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

makenzie71

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2015
    Hi Point. Cheap, does what it's suppose to do, can mostly rely on it, can expect it to not do anything extra or care if it impresses anyone else, stops working after 8 rounds.

RangerDoc275

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    Greater Austin, Texas
    When on active duty, I was first issued the 1911. So that would have been my first thought to this thread. But in '85 we were one of the first units to be issued Beretta's and that was during the "Wonder Nine" decades. So the Beretta is probably the 'best' choice for what represents my generation.

Having said that though, the Sig P226 was and remains the better pistol and should have been chosen in those trials. At least in my not so humble opinion on this matter. I've been a Sig snob for many many years now.

But I find that in my downward trajectory years I'm going back to the 1911 more often than not. So I've come full circle.

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    When on active duty, I was first issued the 1911. So that would have been my first thought to this thread. But in '85 we were one of the first units to be issued Beretta's and that was during the "Wonder Nine" decades. So the Beretta is probably the 'best' choice for what represents my generation.

Having said that though, the Sig P226 was and remains the better pistol and should have been chosen in those trials. At least in my not so humble opinion on this matter. I've been a Sig snob for many many years now.

But I find that in my downward trajectory years I'm going back to the 1911 more often than not. So I've come full circle.

A young fella like you will change his mind as he matures... the 1911 pulls your pants down without wearing suspenders as well as your belt so the single stack 9 makes a lot more sense if your missus thinks you look like a dork in both a belt AND suspenders. I guess this means I may look like a baby blooper.

Top Bottom