What happened to real communities?

Discussion in 'Rants and Raves' started by breakingcontact, Nov 7, 2013.

1. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    I hate to sound like an old timer or some country bumpkin...but when i was a kid we knew our neighbors. You could borrow tools out of your neighbors garage, if you were walking down the road people would ask if you needed a ride, if you left your garage door open or anything was out of the ordinary the old lady across the street would call you.

Im not some dummy yearning for some false overly idealistic yesteryear.

Seriously though. We had community back then.

Maybe its me living in a big city now and not a little town. Hows the real community situation by you? The only places i really experience true community anymore is through church and the shooting community.

Im moving into a new to me house in a small subdivision soon and im really hoping to find some real community there. If its not there ill try to foster it.

2. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban Staff Member Admin

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    I wish you well.
    Our neighborhood is spotty, I guess.
    Little old lady across the road has been here since 82.
    Weve been here 7 years. Everyone else is under a year.
    I gotta say, it aint all been improvement, but not all bad.

Sometimes it is what you make it.
  3. breakingcontact

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    I certainly agree community is something you have to participate in, its not a spectator sport.
  4. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban Staff Member Admin

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    Yep. Kinda hard for me. I grew up 4 miles from neighbors. Never really learned to be a neighbor.
    It's been a challenge.
  5. txbikerman

txbikerman TGT Addict

Jul 10, 2013
    Its harder now . Kids used to go outside to play, with their friends. Now they play video games or are the computer.I have lived in neighborhoods where some had been there a long time, and you could get to know them. people these days move so often its hard to get to know them.
  6. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Before we moved in July, all of my neighbors were close. We checked on each other, helped each other and were friends. When Lynne, the school teacher who lived across the street had AAA at her house I stopped in to check. She had a dead battery and they got her car started. She told me she was headed up to Auto Zone to get a battery, thanked me for checking on her and left. I just could not let her deal with that alone. I told my wife I was headed to AZ and left. Once I got there she had her battery already, but her car would not start again. I changed it for her right there. When a transformer was blown on our side of the street in mid July one year, Lynne came and got us to spend the evening enjoying her AC.

Patty next door called us when she saw some someone suspicious hanging out in front of our house. When her ex came around being loud, I went outside to "say hi". When Tom down the street was hurt from work, I mowed his yard. He always helped me with with landscaping.

We all had cook outs together, we went out to dinners, etc.

The sense of community is there for those who work at it. ;)
  7. Southpaw

Southpaw SUPER OWNER TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    I grew up in a small town and I still have that in me. But living in San Antonio, while I personally don't consider it city where I am, it is and the people act accordingly. I always make it a point to at least introduce myself to anyone new moving in and always say hello, good morning or good night, if I see my neighbors here and there. Sometimes they don't know how to take it but they usually come around when they realize I am not looking harming or hustling them. It seems some are just conditioned to living in fear.

We are planning on moving out ASAP though. As I get older I feel I need more and more space away from too many people. ;)
  8. breakingcontact

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    That is certainly a lot of it. Entertainment is a solo venture now whereas before it was something you needed others to partake in such as baseball or other sports.

The high mobility rate is an issue too. Ive been guilty of that living in apartments. I think subconciously you dont want to put time into building relationships with neighbors if you will only live somewhere a year or two.
  9. breakingcontact

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    Txinvestigator...thats how it was when i lived in a small coal mining town full of the descendants of Italian immigrants. I helped my old neighbor lady with stuff she needed around the house like installing hand rails since she was super old but not giving up that house. She made me real Italian food and id sit on her porch with her after work.

Ive been doing the apartment thing for a few years and it is just gross how little community there is. Its not natural in that setting but people should step up anr extend themselves in friendship and community.
  10. Mikeinhistory

Mikeinhistory Well-Known

Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Moved into Hyde park in August. All our neighbors except the obvious college students came and introduced themselves. Even in Los Angeles I knew my neighbors on both sides. When I lived in apartments though I never knew anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free