• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I suppose the real big picture about my "rant" on community, is that it was formerly families, community and church that provided for people when they were down and out. When the community needed something the community got together to provide for themselves. Now there is a void, and the gubbermint is more than happy to fill it.

We need to restore families, faith and community to really turn this thing around.

Hear.
    Lynx Defense

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's the effects of the long term social decay of our society. It's been going on for many decades, and only continues to get worse IMO. All that is moral, ethical, good, and righteous is slowly being eroded and destroyed by modern Liberals and the Conservatives and others that placate and concede to their demands.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    In our area the neighbors never come outside of their homes, ever. We have been here seven years and have greeted each new neighbor with a friendly handshake and our cell phones if they need anything. When we first moved in we never met one family but "heard" them from time to time. The wife we saw maybe five or six times in five YEARS. Total hermit. They had a child that we did not see until it was at least two years old.

We both grew up in neighborhoods where everyone knew each other all the way through high school. But now they all sit inside watching TV or pecking away on a computer (I guess). We have moved on to other things and have quit trying to meet neighbors or be involved. We know their names but that's it.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    I'm a very MYOB kinda guy — but my neighborhood IS my business. Our kids all play together, we mow each other's grass when we're out, pick up newspapers, dogsit, babysit, BBQ, work on busted cars, etc. That's the whole idea behind a community to me — otherwise I'd live out in the sticks. My wife and I know every family on our block, of course, we've also been here since we got married 10 years ago.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    We need to restore families, faith and community to really turn this thing around.

What? You mean parents getting off facebook and putting down their iphones for long enough to actually pay attention to and then discipline their kids? Even teach them to be accountable for their actions?

Sorry, ain't gonna happen.

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    I know my neighbor's enough to know I don't like them.They can go shit in there hat before they take any tools out of my garage.

The communities are out there, just rare anymore.You try to be neighborly and they think your a weirdo for being polite.

Dhayes

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Idaho Falls,Idaho
    I know my neighbor's enough to know I don't like them.They can go shit in there hat before they take any tools out of my garage.

The communities are out there, just rare anymore.You try to be neighborly and they think your a weirdo for being polite.

I saw the new people that moved in next door last Sunday walking away from their house, heading towards the street. I was walking with Max and I kept walking. After the last 2 groups of people (if you could call them that) had been such crappy neighbors and I was happy to see them go, I decided to just keep to myself and not bother with the newest group.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

Ha! Ive definitely been there! I lived in a university town. Combining university profs with a highly mobile population and there was little real community outside of the university cliques. I did make one really good friend there though so its worth it! Just expect rejection!

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

yup.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'm not sure I really know how to be part of a community :p
    I grew up in a smallish town, but mostly just like to keep to myself. I'm friendly with everyone, but don't ever talk to anyone other than my immediate neighbor. In the suburbs it feels pretty normal because everyone else keeps to themselves, too, but at my place in the country I feel like I'm the outsider. I guess it's kinda hard to be friendly with your neighbors when you can't even see them from your house. Also hard to mingle with the locals when you neither goto church or bars, lol... I dunno; it's a quandary.

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I think part of it may be generational. I tend to get along better with the 60+ crowd than those video game playing youngsters.

Even I don't get along with my crowd and I am no longer that young. My BIL and his group sit around an play video games at nearly 50. They get real pissed when I start asking their women how difficult it is to take care of such large babies with no skills.

Last edited:

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    What? You mean parents getting off facebook and putting down their iphones for long enough to actually pay attention to and then discipline their kids? Even teach them to be accountable for their actions?

Sorry, ain't gonna happen.
    happens quite well in our small community. We live 12 miles from town and most of us go to the same church, that we built with our own hands. The children were involved, so they stay involved with faith and community.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    happens quite well in our small community. We live 12 miles from town and most of us go to the same church, that we built with our own hands. The children were involved, so they stay involved with faith and community.

Great point. Community is built around things.

What do we gather together to do? Around that community develops. Like TGT most of us have some common interests and values. Same with church.

Historically people NEEDED community more. Now life is calmer, safer and entertainment is a solo pursuit. Historically, if we all lived near each other we would be helping each other farm, trade goods or services, meeting for church, families marrying into other families, helping each other when we are sick or poor and so on.

Now people make their money away from home, come home at night, watch TV inside and spend the weekend running around shopping, pursuing hobbies, playing them vidja games, watching movies or sports, running kids all over the place or for many people working even more.

Not saying it was all perfect before and all bad now but we have lost something with what we have gained and a lot of the problems that strong communities once dealt with are now being "fixed" by big gov.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've posted often about the 26 families that live on our dead end street. We all know each other, work together, support each other, have big BBQ's, and the best part is that almost all of us are armed. This is like an Army camp but it's not gun free. NO ONE would succeed in hauling stuff out of a home here without eating lead. We keep this place so squared away that the County Deputies hardly ever come down our road. None of us is one bit shy about confronting a stranger. One neighbor lost his Dad so I went over and cut his yard. Another time, I felt pretty bad so another neighbor came over to cut my yard. (these are 1/2 acre lots minimum).

One neighbor leaves her front door open all day with just the screen door closed. Another doesn't lock her place at all. Some leave their garages open all the time.

This is our community and we run things here. No one comes here to make trouble. They know better.

Flash

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom