Military Camp

What have you done to your vehicle lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Gas prices are stupid and I don't want to be the same so, a little help please?

What could happen if I ran 89 octane gas in my high octane inline 4 bike with 13:1 compression?

Obviously I'll simply ride less if the risk is too high.
    I’m in the same position as you. One of my bikes calls for 90 octane, which automatically pushes it up to super unleaded. I‘ve researched it, and best I can tell it it’s a CYA for the manufacturer for worse case scenario. No different than oil spec in my truck that calls for 5w20 to cover the cold northern states when a heavier weight would work just fine here in warmer Texas. In motorcycle forums I’m a member of, folks have run regular 87 octane without any issues. The newer bikes all have computers that can retard or advance the timing as needed, so I’m thinking that unless the bike is under extreme duty with heavy acceleration, then 87 might work. For sure, I’m going to run mid grade on my next fill up. I don’t see that 1 octane would make much of a difference. If it starts pinging, then I’ll go back to premium. FWIW, I had an SS Silverado years ago that called for super, but regular could be used with a hit on performance and efficiency. Truthfully, I couldn’t tell a difference so I just ran the 87.
    DK Firearms

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I’m in the same position as you. One of my bikes calls for 90 octane, which automatically pushes it up to super unleaded. I‘ve researched it, and best I can tell it it’s a CYA for the manufacturer for worse case scenario. No different than oil spec in my truck that calls for 5w20 to cover the cold northern states when a heavier weight would work just fine here in warmer Texas. In motorcycle forums I’m a member of, folks have run regular 87 octane without any issues. The newer bikes all have computers that can retard or advance the timing as needed, so I’m thinking that unless the bike is under extreme duty with heavy acceleration, then 87 might work. For sure, I’m going to run mid grade on my next fill up. I don’t see that 1 octane would make much of a difference. If it starts pinging, then I’ll go back to premium. FWIW, I had an SS Silverado years ago that called for super, but regular could be used with a hit on performance and efficiency. Truthfully, I couldn’t tell a difference so I just ran the 87.
    What very little bike specific octane rating research I did today was scary if you went too low. Something along the lines of *it will cause pinging (pre detontion?) and since most people can't hear/detect it, by the time it has happened it's too late*. POOF!

I'm not aware of 1 octane bumps at the pump. For as long as I can remember it's been 87, 89, or 93.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Gas prices are stupid and I don't want to be the same so, a little help please?

What could happen if I ran 89 octane gas in my high octane inline 4 bike with 13:1 compression?

Obviously I'll simply ride less if the risk is too high.
    Short answer is detonation. I don't know if bikes have knock sensors and retard timing or not. If you kept it 1/3 throttle and cruised, probably nothing. Don't do it. Much more $ to repair than to pay 20 cents more a gallon.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    What's the difference in the cost of a fill up, less than $2?
    Short answer is detonation. I don't know if bikes have knock sensors and retard timing or not. If you kept it 1/3 throttle and cruised, probably nothing. Don't do it. Much more $ to repair than to pay 20 cents more a gallon.
    I get your point but the price/gallon all adds up, that's why I asked.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Installing Borla S-Type dual exhaust on my truck. Easy as pie, I've only got 40k on my Silverado since new so the one bolt I had to loosen wasn't even rusty. The entire exhaust just slips off the isolator mounts after that. Only issue was the factory exhaust is installed in one piece on the assembly line, the body is lowered over it, I just took a hack saw and cut it in front and after the axle, makes it easy to toss in the trash too. I estimate the factory exhaust weighed in the neighborhood of 60lbs so the new exhaust will also shave some weight.

Should be done in about 45 minutes.

V4PEivV.jpg

hnzPNjE.jpg
    I put duals on my Silverado a couple months ago. Its not obnoxiously loud inside, but I think it sounds really good outside. I can also easily tell when my remote start works from inside the house.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Not gonna brag or anything, but we filled the tank on the minivan. Guy at the next pump over struck up a convo about how some folks ought to be strung up because of the prices, I couldn't help but agree.

While we have it bad, it could be worse. A friend / former employee up in Idaho is paying over $4 / gal now.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I need to do a good scrubbin', inside and out, on my vehicle.
    I loaded my truck with generator, radio equipment, antenna poles and other necessary equipment as it's time for Annual Training in my State Guard unit. After training is over, the truck will get a good cleaning, engine and transmission oil changes.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Recommended octane is based on what? When I went through Alpine, their Super was much less octane than in Houston, by like 2 or 3 points. In fact their regular UL is 85 octane whereas here it’s 87. My guess is due to elevation.

Top Bottom