DK Firearms

What have you done to your vehicle lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I needed advice and trust more than a few TGT member's opinion.

Why not be one of them?
    I don't get what you're implying but ok. I gave you the correct answer but you kinda balked about price still. That's why my second comment about ammo. You wouldn't use it to save money. Don't do the same with an engine. In reality a bike gets 40mpg and has a couple of gallon gas tank. It's less than a dollar a tank.

I run 93 in a boat buring 7.5 gallons an hour for protection against detonation. Please treat your toys nice.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    It is, as the car is technically more Holden than Chevy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always wanted an Ute, idiots running GM never had any vision.

2dxdkmR.jpg

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Recommended octane is based on what? When I went through Alpine, their Super was much less octane than in Houston, by like 2 or 3 points. In fact their regular UL is 85 octane whereas here it’s 87. My guess is due to elevation.

Yeah they lower the octane at elevation…it’s a relic from the old days of carbs and less-sophisticated fuel injection.

For modern vehicles, it’s actually not great to lower the octane at elevation, because it’s working against the high-altitude adjustments that the ECU is making.

Details here:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Does you bike have knock sensors? If so you can probably get away with it. I wouldn't run less than the recommended octane on a high strung engine like that, tho...

Yes.

From the manual:
    98 ROZ/RON, Premium plus unleaded
    95 ROZ/RON, Premium unleaded (fuel grade, usable with power and consumption related restrictions)

From a bike review:
    Fuel grade: Premium plus, unleaded, 98 RON
    Use of premium down to 95 RON possible thanks to automatic knock control

I've spent a fair amount of time researching octane-to-RON conversion but there doesn't seem to be a hard & fast rule. One result showed 89=95 RON but the others were below. :confused:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I would look at what the manual says as, if you are unable to find premium, you can use regular.
    But, not all the time.

Also, as summer comes, it's even worse.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Yes.

From the manual:
    98 ROZ/RON, Premium plus unleaded
    95 ROZ/RON, Premium unleaded (fuel grade, usable with power and consumption related restrictions)

From a bike review:
    Fuel grade: Premium plus, unleaded, 98 RON
    Use of premium down to 95 RON possible thanks to automatic knock control

I've spent a fair amount of time researching octane-to-RON conversion but there doesn't seem to be a hard & fast rule. One result showed 89=95 RON but the others were below. :confused:
    95 RON is supposed to be equivalent to 91 AKI, which is what "premium" usually is in other states. We're lucky we have 93 here.

Based on what the manual is saying it sounds like 93 is recommended, and 91 is the minimum it can adjust for.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    You could write a book on this subject and still not be 100% accurate with a recommendation. There's a LOT of variability - air pressure / altitude / absolute pressure, intake air temperature, cylinder head temperature, relative humidity, manifold pressure, static compression ratio, RPM, engine load, cam timing, dynamic compression ratio, fuel blend (including ethanol content), blah blah blah. It's all related, and it all boils down to kind of a fuzzy range of acceptable fuels for the expected operating conditions.

In general, the hotter the motor, the hotter the air, and the higher the load the higher the chances are for the fuel to detonate. Many modern engines have a lot of tools to combat detonation to avoid damaging the motor (knock sensors, spark current measurement, electronic ignition, variable valve timing, throttle by wire, etc.) so you can run low octane fuel without breaking anything. You'll just experience lower power if the ECU determines there's knock and compensates.

The higher the octane rating, the slower the fuel burns, which can have the effect of reducing power and efficiency in a motor that can't take advantage of it. So putting premium in your Camry is just wasting money. On the flip side, you can potentially make more power with a higher octane fuel in a motor that would otherwise knock on lower octane fuels. As a side note, ethanol tends to dramatically increase the 'effective' octane rating, as it will cool and slow the flame front. Problem here is you rarely know the percentage and can't rely on it.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    I bought gas today. $3.699 /11.357 gals. Will probably last me 2-3 months.
    Wanted to top off before hitting $4.00
    Sad days. FJB/LGB

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Got my horn in and wired up.

OK, that one's for fun but for serious times, a Stebel can be had for <$40. I have a single on my bike and it DEF gets peoples attention. I was behind a woman in a car legitimately waiting for traffic to exit a parking lot to the street. A huge gap with no movement and I realized she was putzing around on her phone so I sounded the horn. She threw it into the ceiling and it bounced to the rear seat, then she drove away. :)

Last edited:

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    95 RON is supposed to be equivalent to 91 AKI, which is what "premium" usually is in other states. We're lucky we have 93 here.

Based on what the manual is saying it sounds like 93 is recommended, and 91 is the minimum it can adjust for.

You could write a book on this subject and still not be 100% accurate with a recommendation. There's a LOT of variability - air pressure / altitude / absolute pressure, intake air temperature, cylinder head temperature, relative humidity, manifold pressure, static compression ratio, RPM, engine load, cam timing, dynamic compression ratio, fuel blend (including ethanol content), blah blah blah. It's all related, and it all boils down to kind of a fuzzy range of acceptable fuels for the expected operating conditions.

In general, the hotter the motor, the hotter the air, and the higher the load the higher the chances are for the fuel to detonate. Many modern engines have a lot of tools to combat detonation to avoid damaging the motor (knock sensors, spark current measurement, electronic ignition, variable valve timing, throttle by wire, etc.) so you can run low octane fuel without breaking anything. You'll just experience lower power if the ECU determines there's knock and compensates.

The higher the octane rating, the slower the fuel burns, which can have the effect of reducing power and efficiency in a motor that can't take advantage of it. So putting premium in your Camry is just wasting money. On the flip side, you can potentially make more power with a higher octane fuel in a motor that would otherwise knock on lower octane fuels. As a side note, ethanol tends to dramatically increase the 'effective' octane rating, as it will cool and slow the flame front. Problem here is you rarely know the percentage and can't rely on it.

I was thinking that too Brains, I just couldn't find the words. :clown:

Thanks for the input. At the risk of pissing off others since I do it so well, I consider you two the auto go to guys here on TGT.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom