Hurley's Gold

What have you done to your vehicle lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Maybe. I had a tap & die set before the big D some 20 yrs ago. It's likely around here somewhere but I'll have to dig for it since I haven't needed it until now.

Found out today the threads are 3/16" x 24 so a little progress. :)
    Found it; NOW what !? :laughing:

20220421_212809.jpg

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The 1/8"? foam pad to keep bits from shifting had degraded to absolute poo since I last looked in the case.

Obviously I'm in no real hurry but I do appreciate the comments. :)
    Are you sure it's 3/16-24 and not 10-24? Nearly identical, but 10-24 is more common. Either way you'll need the correct size tap drill. #26 for 3/16-24 or #25 for 10-24.

....or drill it oversize and tap for a bolt you can find locally.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Are you sure it's 3/16-24 and not 10-24? Nearly identical, but 10-24 is more common. Either way you'll need the correct size tap drill. #26 for 3/16-24 or #25 for 10-24.

....or drill it oversize and tap for a bolt you can find locally.
    An automotive machine shop sized it with what appeared to me to be a proper "gauge". It was @1.5" L with male/female threads and stamped 3/16-24. Not some plate like used in hardware stores.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    The last good key we had for wife‘s old Camry
    aside from the valet key, broke and it’s a chip key. The plastic got brittle and fell apart when I cranked on it. It’s high mileage and not worth much so we kept it and relegated as a backup car when we replaced it at the end of 2019 (Probably the sweet spot when new cars were relatively cheap with discounts etc). Got a mini road trip coming up this weekend and and want to take it to burn out the old gas. I went to a locksmith to get a new key cut with the internals from my old key put into a new shell. I took what was left of the busted up key head and fixed the second key that crapped out about 3 years ago

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    4/16/22

Flooded with WD while drilling and very low speeds so minimal heat. I started the dimple with a tungsten Dremel bit. As you can see by the blue Tee at the bottom of the hole, I accidentally drilled all the way through and the easy-out only made the hole larger. Apparently the steel is galled to aluminum and it won't budge.

These are extremely low production, maybe 50 pair/yr, aftermarket highway pegs for the BMW K bike. I sent the designer / seller (he contracts machining) an email yesterday asking for help including shoulder bolt details and he has yet to reply.

Seller replied to my email last night with "That bolt has loctite on it. What side is it, passenger or driver side?"

:facepalm: I'm considering a one word starboard reply.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Last few days I installed new injectors and transfer tubes, set valve lash and installed a new starter. The engineer who designed the top bolt for a Ram starter needs to be put out of my misery.

Top Bottom