Capitol Armory ad

What have you done to your vehicle lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    2012. I got it for a song and have put a grip of miles on it. I am going to yank it appart and decide what direction to go. It started and ran as needed to load and off load. Sounds like a rod but I am unfamiliar with the 5.3 failure points. It still runs smooth, just sounds like you are banging the block with a hammer.

Young me says 6.0 (or whatever the next size up). Might as well do cheap long tubes. Old me says check the 5.3 reman prices. Cheap me says rebuild kit with an RV cam or whatever.

I got it home this afternoon. 21 hours from dead to at the shop. My tow rig was the victim so I had to rent a 15ft uhaul and car trailer. The truck fit fine (like 2 inches left) but was probably a trite over weight on the trailer.

The kids had a blast on the recovery. 15 gallons of fuel and $260 for the rental with insurance and miles (158 round trip)
    50ef7f030fcf32183a63a9380f97abb1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
    Any chance the AFM, DOD or whatever it is they are calling cylinder deactivation might have been the culprit? I’ve read some not too cool stuff about the earlier version, and that folks were ditching that setup and putting in a conventional cam, lifters and other bits
    Texas SOT

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Any chance the AFM, DOD or whatever it is they are calling cylinder deactivation might have been the culprit? I’ve read some not too cool stuff about the earlier version, and that folks were ditching that setup and putting in a conventional cam, lifters and other bits
    It could be a top end issue. I read about that cylinder shutoff being a problem. I'll update back here when it is diagnosed. I would like to think it will be quick but i tend to get lazy on these things.

Thankfully I have a working station wagon the wife hates. I moved her back into it again. I have my Honda grom to shoot to and from work. At only a gallon a month on the grom and getting the wife out of the suburban the savings will be real.

I have been telling myself I should ride a bicycle to work as it is close enough. Only problem is it don't have an engine....

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    It could be a top end issue. I read about that cylinder shutoff being a problem. I'll update back here when it is diagnosed. I would like to think it will be quick but i tend to get lazy on these things.

Thankfully I have a working station wagon the wife hates. I moved her back into it again. I have my Honda grom to shoot to and from work. At only a gallon a month on the grom and getting the wife out of the suburban the savings will be real.

I have been telling myself I should ride a bicycle to work as it is close enough. Only problem is it don't have an engine....

Usually, those early AFM issues would start with a cylinder miss that was caused by a flat cam.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Get a drone and search the surrounding areas off the beaten path. Seriously!
    Classics have doubled and then some in the past 5 years.
    I don't think I'll be buying a drone to fly over some stranger's property. I wouldn't like that if I had a barn on some acreage. I will stop and look from the road if I can see some cars out on the front yard, but knowing some people they're just as likely to shoot me as my drone.

Yeah I'm not sure if I'm just getting sticker shock or if people just think their rolling rust box is actually worth that big money. Strange stuff of "I started a project but lost interest, doesn't run, rust everywhere, 3 piles of parts $12,000" is just as weird as "Nissan Altima, 186,000 miles, $12,000". I'm only looking on craigslist which we know can be worse than a flea market. I came this close || to buying a gentleman's '60 pickup, he re-did the interior to be pretty nice, intentionally left the exterior a little beat up so he didn't have to worry about it, but it still had the original 6cyl engine, runs and drives. He only wanted $10k for it. Not the truck I was looking for but still interested me because of the age and price.

I guess part of my personal confusion and sticker shock is there isn't really a great way to evaluate the price of a 'project' vehicle or even an old car. I'm sure the professional car restorers know exactly how many man-hours and the cost of parts that would go into the various levels of restoration, but they're also projecting that to sell to make a profit. I just want a hobby then a really cool truck until I die...

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Put a battery in Mrs Pronstar’s Suburban.

2 years 9 months old.
    Three year warranty…didn’t batteries used to have 5 year warranties?

Bought an Interstate at Costco.
    Three year warranty.
    $177 dollars are you fucking kidding me…

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Installed an Edge CTS3 monitor in my Dodge pickup.

I was having DPF problems and got it to monitor it and also to initiate manual regeneration.
    So far I am really liking it.

Attachments

• 84130-_Edge_1_updated.jpg
      84130-_Edge_1_updated.jpg
      25 KB · Views: 39

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Put a battery in Mrs Pronstar’s Suburban.

2 years 9 months old.
    Three year warranty…didn’t batteries used to have 5 year warranties?

Bought an Interstate at Costco.
    Three year warranty.
    $177 dollars are you fucking kidding me…

You even posted there. :)

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    5 year and $120 at walmart.
    750 cranking amps.
    I looked at Walmart, this is what I found.
    Inflation is a bitch…
    The cheaper one is 3 year, the other one is 4 year.

The bigger issue I had was taking apart a ton of crap just to get the battery out. They don’t make it easy…

BECA0ABD-B332-4949-B7B0-F8F4D39E83B5.png

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I looked at Walmart, this is what I found.
    Inflation is a bitch…
    The cheaper one is 3 year, the other one is 4 year.

The bigger issue I had was taking apart a ton of crap just to get the battery out. They don’t make it easy…

View attachment 334389
    Those are a step up from what my vehicles have . I get Group 24, 750 amp. I just put a new one in my Mustang last one went 6 years.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Those three year warranty are full replacement. Most then have a 60 month Pro rate on them. The everstart Maxx was highly rated by consumer reports

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Aaaaaaaannnnnnndddddddd the grom is toast.

The struggle is real. I swear, the next thing I buy will stay stock.
    8aa26d58cd86617954f167b3d74a3718.jpg

I wouldn't consider myself a master mechanic, but something doesn't quite look right with your leg warmer. I hope it happened at idle and not 6500rpm on a pull.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Changed the rear diff fluid again. At 85k miles. Changed out twice along with transmission. I change all that stuff every 40-50k. Everything is working good still.

Next I need to change my coolant. It’s over five years old.

Next service I’ll make 120k. Look at my turbo, injectors, but definitely change my timing belt early. Change out the Bruce Jenner and diff fluid again.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Shopping for tires.
    WTF happened to light truck tires with a decent load rating?
    I ain't mud bogging or rock climbing. .
    I'm towing and hauling..

Top Bottom