DK Firearms

What have you done to your vehicle lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    When I see these big trucks and the $$$ spent the more I loved my 1979 Toyota SR5 4x4. Talk about the little engine that could. Never missed a beat and never crossed a path I couldn't conquer well except for tow ing anything bigger than a dirt bike trailer.
    I definitely understand that it's an absolute waste of money. But it's the same sickness that put 7 P320s in my collection... and not a single one is factory. I can't leave anything alone.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    When I see these big trucks and the $$$ spent the more I loved my 1979 Toyota SR5 4x4. Talk about the little engine that could. Never missed a beat and never crossed a path I couldn't conquer well except for tow ing anything bigger than a dirt bike trailer.
    I assume it didn't have the 22R engine? My 84 model did and it was well known for slinging oil from the front cover gasket by 70k or 80k miles. The scar on my knuckle from busting a craftsman socket on the main pulley remembers well. Great truck other than the 22R requiring a gasket replacement.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    i built it to be purposeful... fully optioned carli pintop, 40x13.50r17, and i should be pushing 700/1350ish once i get off my ass and install my turbo and fuel pump.

the question is will i ever.... i hope so lol.

View attachment 393493
    I think folks would be surprised at what a full-size diese truck can do with a quality suspension underneath.

Once i had Carli build-up my truck, we sold our SxS and just mobbed around in the truck.

Hauled our giant toy hauler to the desert.
    Played in the truck.
    Never missed a beat and hauled all of our junk home.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Pulled heads on one of my Land Rover Disco II's...

Had an external head gasket leak (it was pretty loud!) So getting the heads decked and will reinstall hopefully Saturday.

Used ARP studs a few years ago and it am super happy with them it was SO MUCH EASIER to disassemble and being reusable I dont need to but a new set.

I expect decking the heads will be around $300 so I'll be out a total of $500 and a few hours... I didn't deck them last time but the HG failed onnthe other head this time.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Got a a smoking deal on new shoes (wheels/tires) for my hoopty…wheels and tires for about what two tires retail for

33x12.5x17 BFG KM3 on bronze Method 703 bead grip wheels

Hoping this keeps me interested in my 2015 pickup because i really can’t afford to replace it
    IMG_0373.jpeg
    IMG_0374.jpeg
    IMG_0375.jpeg

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Pulled heads on one of my Land Rover Disco II's...

Had an external head gasket leak (it was pretty loud!) So getting the heads decked and will reinstall hopefully Saturday.

Used ARP studs a few years ago and it am super happy with them it was SO MUCH EASIER to disassemble and being reusable I dont need to but a new set.

I expect decking the heads will be around $300 so I'll be out a total of $500 and a few hours... I didn't deck them last time but the HG failed onnthe other head this time.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    what year disco do you have?

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I assume it didn't have the 22R engine? My 84 model did and it was well known for slinging oil from the front cover gasket by 70k or 80k miles. The scar on my knuckle from busting a craftsman socket on the main pulley remembers well. Great truck other than the 22R requiring a gasket replacement.
    22R it did with just over 300k miles when I traded it for 70 Bronco and never touched the engine or trans. Just typical wear and tear items. It was the best 4x4 I've ever owned. I should have just kept it. If someone would trade me a restored one for my Mustang I'd do it.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    1976 Honda CB125S, I bought from a couple of lesbians (yes they were both hot) I worked with in 1994. Hasn't been started in 10+ years...been sitting in the shed awaiting my motivation to get it going again.

I rebuilt the carb, new points, plug, condenser, oil change, air filter, all new cables (it sat out during Hurricane Harvey when the shed blew away)..........going to have to get new tires, they are the originals (bike has 3500 miles on it.

Just rode it up and down our street..............

Got a lot of cleaning and polishing to do..................

20230706_175746.jpg

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    1976 Honda CB125S, I bought from a couple of lesbians (yes they were both hot) I worked with in 1994. Hasn't been started in 10+ years...been sitting in the shed awaiting my motivation to get it going again.

I rebuilt the carb, new points, plug, condenser, oil change, air filter, all new cables (it sat out during Hurricane Harvey when the shed blew away)..........going to have to get new tires, they are the originals (bike has 3500 miles on it.

Just rode it up and down our street..............

Got a lot of cleaning and polishing to do..................

View attachment 394967
    one of the most un to ride bikes i owned in the past were my hondacb550'sgreat bikes to spend riding the backroads on the weekend!

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    one of the most un to ride bikes i owned in the past were my hondacb550'sgreat bikes to spend riding the backroads on the weekend!

My Grandfather rode a Honda CB550 4 cylinder back in the 70's....He traded it for a Harley........ I loved that bike.......

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    In the 70's I had a Honda 750f, ss, 4 pipes into one big ass muffler. Had to change that muffler, cars along side of me couldn't tell I was there.
    Gary_stan_bike_1977.jpg

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I had a 1967 Yamaha 125 in my early teens. Ugly compared to the Honda dirt bikes in the early 70's but it had a huge sprocket so it would only go 42mph but I could climb anything in 2nd gear. I guess the Cushman scooter we picked up 2nd hand from the old Perrin Airfield was uglier.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    I had to do some valve clearance adjustment on my bike. It's been way overdue. But was pleasantly surprised that only 2 out of the 6 valves needed a very minor adjustment.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Well, I looked at the trans parts for my HPI built 6-speed Nissan S15 trans, going into my Cressida.
    Damn thing has been on my bench, apart, for over a year now.
    So much work done to it already, and still not together...

Actually, I did do work on a new, better retainer for the 4th counter gear, a known weak point in these transmissions.
    Still have to bore it to 33.5mm, then split it.
    Also change the type of snap-ring that retains it, went from a standard snap-ring, to a spiral ring.

Used a thrust bearing race to make it from.
    Had to thin it by .005", cut the OD down, and then grind in the snap ring grove.

DSC08810.jpg

DSC08815.jpg

Was thinking about leaving the ID at 30mm, but after thinking about it, decided that cutting on the counter shaft may not be wise.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Got a a smoking deal on new shoes (wheels/tires) for my hoopty…wheels and tires for about what two tires retail for

33x12.5x17 BFG KM3 on bronze Method 703 bead grip wheels

Hoping this keeps me interested in my 2015 pickup because i really can’t afford to replace it View attachment 394753 View attachment 394754 View attachment 394755
    I’m seeing more and more bronze wheels over the past year or so, and I think they look stunning. So glad we are starting to move away from that gawd awful black wheel craze.

Top Bottom