What have you done to your vehicle lately?

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
Jun 8, 2009
San Antonio
b6f6a381ecf388fbeb10ec9c2ad8288f.jpg

Project Boxster is coming along. Got the window tint replaced with ceramic film. Replaced the visor vanity mirror on the passenger side. Picked up my 3.4 996 m96 motor last week. Will start tearing it down for rebuild and IMS bearing upgrade. Suspension, steering wheel, and airbag delete in the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Oct 5, 2013
Georgetown
Pulled the battery and took it to Advance Auto where I bought it last August. It would go dead after 4 or 5 days of not driving. Lol, they said it was good, just needed charging. So figured it had to be the alternator. Pulled the alternator and took it in for them to test. Doh, their testing machine was broke. So I took a chance and bought an alternator.

It didn't change anything. Still showing low voltage after 4 days. Pulled the battery and charged it on my Schumacher charger and set it in the shed. After 4 days the charge had dropped down to 12.22 volts. It's the battery! Can't convince them of that tho. Should have kept the old battery. It would hold a charge for weeks. I guess I'm done with Advance Auto if they won't stand behind their warranty.

20210616_141756.jpg

dsgrey

Oct 25, 2015
Denton County
It didn't change anything. Still showing low voltage after 4 days. Pulled the battery and charged it on my Schumacher charger and set it in the shed. After 4 days the charge had dropped down to 12.22 volts. It's the battery! Can't convince them of that tho. Should have kept the old battery. It would hold a charge for weeks. I guess I'm done with Advance Auto if they won't stand behind their warranty.

Do they not load test the battery? Heck, my cheap Solar tester gives the CA, CCA and charging system numbers. I recall years ago where some store would want to charge the battery for 24 hours first. Never seen a need for that my tester.

TheDan

4th Best Member
TGT Supporter
Nov 11, 2008
Austin - Rockdale
After 4 days the charge had dropped down to 12.22 volts. It's the battery!
...or you have a parasitic drain. Connect an amp meter between the battery and positive lead with everything off.

I recall years ago where some store would want to charge the battery for 24 hours first. Never seen a need for that my tester.
It's possible for a battery to pass a load test immediately after being charged, but still have an issue holding a charge. Best way to make sure is to charge it, let it rest overnight, and then make sure the resting voltage is 12.7-12.5 before load testing.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Oct 5, 2013
Georgetown
...or you have a parasitic drain. Connect an amp meter between the battery and positive lead with everything off.

It's possible for a battery to pass a load test immediately after being charged, but still have an issue holding a charge. Best way to make sure is to charge it, let it rest overnight, and then make sure the resting voltage is 12.7-12.5 before load testing.
I thought about a parasitic drain, that's why I pulled it out of the vehicle and charged it. Resting voltage, still out of the vehicle the next day was 12.5, the next day it was 12.4, and the next day 12.3. And so on. It should hold at least 12.5 for weeks.

I guess if I drove it every day it wouldn't be a problem. But it can sit 5 to 7 days before I drive it.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud

Forum statistics

Threads