Hurley's Gold

What have you done to your vehicle lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • white_rhino

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Austin, TX
    Thuren front coils, shocks, track bar and control arms
    Lynx Defense

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
      unnamed (1).jpg
      650.5 KB · Views: 67
    • unnamed.jpg
      unnamed.jpg
      497.9 KB · Views: 63

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Thuren front coils, shocks, track bar and control arms

Thuren makes GREAT stuff

Both he and Sage Carli were part of a forum we had at back called DTX - Dodge Trucks Extreme. It was when their businesses were just getting started.

I leaned toward Carli and Sage used my truck (along with many others) to test a lot of their product prior to going on sale.

Some fun: I was once tasked to find the limits of their 2.0 “Commuter” Kings and Bilstein 5160 shocks, on my Ram on 35’s LOL

Don showed up at one of our Glamis trips with a prototype cantilever rear that he developed. I don’t think it ever got to market but it was pretty legit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

white_rhino

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Austin, TX
    Thuren makes GREAT stuff

Both he and Sage Carli were part of a forum we had at back called DTX - Dodge Trucks Extreme. It was when their businesses were just getting started.

I leaned toward Carli and Sage used my truck (along with many others) to test a lot of their product prior to going on sale.

Some fun: I was once tasked to find the limits of their 2.0 “Commuter” Kings and Bilstein 5160 shocks, on my Ram on 35’s LOL

Don showed up at one of our Glamis trips with a prototype cantilever rear that he developed. I don’t think it ever got to market but it was pretty legit

yep good quality products. Now I’ve replaced everything on the front end and it stills drives like crap lol. I’ve done EMF balljoints, Timken bearings, new brake discs and rotors, axle shaft u joints, steering linkage, steering box brace. Also did one piece 5” aluminum driveshaft, methods, and new 35s.

Attachments

• 1EFD88AF-EF27-44BF-BF25-E6B610A9A8FD.jpeg
      1EFD88AF-EF27-44BF-BF25-E6B610A9A8FD.jpeg
      240.8 KB · Views: 70

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    yep good quality products. Now I’ve replaced everything on the front end and it stills drives like crap lol. I’ve done EMF balljoints, Timken bearings, new brake discs and rotors, axle shaft u joints, steering linkage, steering box brace. Also did one piece 5” aluminum driveshaft, methods, and new 35s.

What are you experiencing that’s crappy?

white_rhino

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Austin, TX
    What are you experiencing that’s crappy?

Wander. I think the steering box is not good and the dealer over tightened the box. It pulls left sometimes right other times. Drives much better now after thuren. I actually loosened the box a bit and that helped.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Wander. I think the steering box is not good and the dealer over tightened the box. It pulls left sometimes right other times. Drives much better now after thuren. I actually loosened the box a bit and that helped.

Check this out…my bet is track bar for wander.
    Steering stabilizer might be shot, causing randomness in direction of pull.

If your box is on its way out, Red Head makes very good steering boxes. I killed my factory box at around 50k miles…Red Head box was still stout at 110k-ish miles when I sold the truck…which I regret to this day.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Could be alignment or tire choice. I put a wider, stickier tire on that is technically a 1/2" over spec for the rim. The tire itself has a sidewall that isn't as stiff. It'll follow any line or groove in the road, and that new concrete with the raked lines in it has the car feeling like it's wiggling all over the place. Wider rims are in my future eventually, which will help.

white_rhino

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Austin, TX
    Check this out…my bet is track bar for wander.
    Steering stabilizer might be shot, causing randomness in direction of pull.

If your box is on its way out, Red Head makes very good steering boxes. I killed my factory box at around 50k miles…Red Head box was still stout at 110k-ish miles when I sold the truck…which I regret to this day.

I have the Thuren track bar. Didn’t make a difference. Aligned to Thuren specs

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Installing Borla S-Type dual exhaust on my truck. Easy as pie, I've only got 40k on my Silverado since new so the one bolt I had to loosen wasn't even rusty. The entire exhaust just slips off the isolator mounts after that. Only issue was the factory exhaust is installed in one piece on the assembly line, the body is lowered over it, I just took a hack saw and cut it in front and after the axle, makes it easy to toss in the trash too. I estimate the factory exhaust weighed in the neighborhood of 60lbs so the new exhaust will also shave some weight.

Should be done in about 45 minutes.

V4PEivV.jpg

hnzPNjE.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I got to replace a failing torque converter on my 6L80 last week…before it failed completely and took the test of the tranny with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That sucks, you'd think GM would have put a super strong unit on those transmissions given all the vehicles they put them in. I want to do a little upgrading on the 5.3 so I'll be replacing mine too. The stock convertor won't cut it with a horsepower increase so may as well get it over with. Just hate messing with the trans, might end up paying a speed shop to do it, I'm getting too old for this crap, lol.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I jinxed myself when I said I'd be done in 45 minutes! :laughing: I needed a deep well socket to remove one of the studs on the trailer hitch bracket and of course out of the whole set that one I needed was missing, had to go to Autozone and grab one of theirs. Anyway, I got her done! I think the sound is just right, not obnoxiously loud and with a nice tone, sounds great when you hit the go pedal. I can recommend the Borla S-Type to any truck owner, installation was a breeze and perfect fit, a very well thought out system with quality hardware and all stainless construction.

SzGGyZg.jpg

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >
    I've got a "hard to believe" one for y'all.

On Wednesday I got a mailed notice that Ford Motor Co. was willing to extend my FACTORY warranty for another year. Yes, a bona-fide FACTORY warranty, I called Ford to make sure it wasn't another of those disguised aftermarket insurance scams.

I've been very happy with the Ford warranty so far.

Here's the kicker: It's a 2010 F150 with 110K miles, has been under this warranty the entire time.

It's an excellent warranty with all the goodies and there's no "pre-approval" or any red tape at all. Ford Dealers must be used for the repairs under warranty, if available. Rent cars, towing, etc are covered.

The rate will go-up from about $850 to about $1330/year, $100 co-pay, no matter how expensive the repair

Just one repair I had done a few years back in El Campo was worth about 4 years premiums.

This surely wants to make me buy Ford again. . . . .

leVieux

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    That sucks, you'd think GM would have put a super strong unit on those transmissions given all the vehicles they put them in. I want to do a little upgrading on the 5.3 so I'll be replacing mine too. The stock convertor won't cut it with a horsepower increase so may as well get it over with. Just hate messing with the trans, might end up paying a speed shop to do it, I'm getting too old for this crap, lol.

Good read for ya

The JMBX converter they put on the trucks have a design defect. They go out around 80-120k miles.

The tranny itself is good.
    They use different torque converters for different applications…they don’t seem to have issues in other vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    The 6L80 is a good transmission. The converters used from about 2010 until about 2018 were not. Nearly 100% of the failures I have fixed were 5.3L 1500 pick ups and utilities. I don't remember more than a couple 6.0 2500's or 6.2L anythings but most 6.2L's have an 8-speed. Anyone that can get the transmission out of the truck by themselves can rebuild one. It's the simplest automatic there is. Unless it's completely wasted, no special tools needed.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Gas prices are stupid and I don't want to be the same so, a little help please?

What could happen if I ran 89 octane gas in my high octane inline 4 bike with 13:1 compression?

Obviously I'll simply ride less if the risk is too high.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Gas prices are stupid and I don't want to be the same so, a little help please?

What could happen if I ran 89 octane gas in my high octane inline 4 bike with 13:1 compression?

Obviously I'll simply ride less if the risk is too high.
    If it calls for premium, that's what I'd run in it.

Top Bottom