• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    So what if Red Dawn, end of time, sudden catastrophe, etc. happened and you were at home and had to leave, what firearm would you grab. For sake of argument let's assume you already have on you or in your truck a sidearm, what long gun is coming with you and why?

Not a rifle to get you to your prepper location, if so equipped, but you have to work with this rifle for weeks or months. Let's not get too much into the weeds about situation that caused it but merely the tool you'd pick.

You can only take one long gun but list the top two you'd choose between and why.

1. My "ultimate" 5.56: 20" Rainier Arms UltraMatch barrel and other premium parts give me a solid platform to hunt all manner of creatures and protect myself and family. It is very heavy for a 5.56 though. Low recoil and availability of ammunition and magazines make it my top pick. (Would grab the can for it as well.)

2. SOCOM 16: Gun handles well and is in an excellent caliber to make quick work of many situations. Not the best long distance rifle, especially with Eotech red dot but 300yd or less would be ideal. Mags may be harder to find.
    ARJ Defense ad

Bvhawk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had a situation where I had to arm up. I picked a rifle and a handgun to go tromping through the woods.

I picked my ruger sr9 with 2 big mags giving me 31 9mm rounds. I also picked my ak47 with 3 extra magazines giving me 91 rifle rounds. Although my AR would have been a lot lighter I wasn’t sure what I was getting into.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Tough choice.

I want to say my bull barrel AR. I'm good to 500 yds with it. And it's flat to 300 with a tennis ball sized group. Good for me. But it's heavy. Maybe too heavy.

Maybe a standard AR would be better.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    My sam7sf. No recoil. Like the sling set up. My polish mag pouches are ready to go. Along with my bugout/camping pack.

Second choice is my stag model 1 or now the stag15. Just a typical run of the mill carry handle ar15. I trust it. Runs like a champ.

I’m gonna list my other choices.

Third: my Yugo sks. This one might surprise you but I would have no issues packing this heavy proven gun. Accurate, trust worthy, it’s just low capacity and heavy. It’s still a viable gun.

Fourth: my sig mcx. The only reason it’s behind the sks is I haven’t put much rounds threw it.

Last is an honorable mention to my sub2000 in 9mm with my suppressor. Also my howa1500 in 6.5x55

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    1: Saiga in x39. Even with a multiplier and EOTech I still routinely hit man-sized steel out to 500yds at the range.

2: PTR91GIR in .308. 1-6 scope, hits harder at 500yds and turns cover into concealment.

Nothing wrong with the SKS another mentioned. No magazines to worry about so you can carry much more ammo. With stripper clips, a reload is almost as fast as a mag change.

Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I am still going with a silenced 10/22 lr. I am not interested in taking on targets at 500 yards. I am more worried about food than the bad guys. 1000 rounds of 22lr is way more manageable than 1000 rounds of 308

In that situation no one wants to get in a gun fight so even if you
    only have a 10/22 the other guy is going to move on to an easy target that may change 6 months down the road when most non live food is horded and gone.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    My Marlin Papoose 70PSS, w/threaded barrel and suppressor would go along with me. It's lighter and smaller than my 10/22 takedown. Since the Papoose breaks down for pack carry, I'm opting to bring one more long gun . . .

My LWRC M6SL would come along. It's the lightest AR I own. It has a 14.7" barrel, takes a suppressor, and would be easy to haul. Having the punch of a 5.56 and having ammo commonality with what can easily be sourced/scrounged, is a good thing.

For a sidearm, I'd like to say I'd tote a 9mm, but that would give me three calibers to feed. I'm inclined to pick up one of my suppressor-ready .22LR pistols and call it good.

Jarine88

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    Tomball
    Assuming I already have either a 45 or 9 on me (I rotate what I carry), and I am not grabbing additional sidearms.

Top two rifles? That is tough.

My first choice would likely be in 308, but not sure if I would want my DPMS AR10 or my Bergara HMR. One is more accurate, but the other has higher capacity and faster to get rounds down range. The downside of 308 is the weight of the rifle and ammo.

If not 308, I would probably grab my Troy Defense in 5.56 because it would be easier for my wife to handle.

Ooo...what about the .22LRs, pellet guns and shotguns...

Screw it, I’m emptying the safe and loading up the ammo. That is why I have a truck.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom