• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    So what if Red Dawn, end of time, sudden catastrophe, etc. happened and you were at home and had to leave, what firearm would you grab. For sake of argument let's assume you already have on you or in your truck a sidearm, what long gun is coming with you and why?

Not a rifle to get you to your prepper location, if so equipped, but you have to work with this rifle for weeks or months. Let's not get too much into the weeds about situation that caused it but merely the tool you'd pick.

You can only take one long gun but list the top two you'd choose between and why.

1. My "ultimate" 5.56: 20" Rainier Arms UltraMatch barrel and other premium parts give me a solid platform to hunt all manner of creatures and protect myself and family. It is very heavy for a 5.56 though. Low recoil and availability of ammunition and magazines make it my top pick. (Would grab the can for it as well.)

2. SOCOM 16: Gun handles well and is in an excellent caliber to make quick work of many situations. Not the best long distance rifle, especially with Eotech red dot but 300yd or less would be ideal. Mags may be harder to find.
    Sorry but that determines the tool!

Red Dawn: AR 10 7.62 NATO, now its gone serious and the hell with squirrel stew, I need something that drops, reaches out and touches and is both a defense and offense weapon, food, I will take and capture what I need as I move in and around Texas.

Sudden catastrophe: IWI X95 5,56, good for game, I live in hill country and its a CQC weapon so it fills both need of defense and food. Some movement in the general area, most avoiding conflict and find safe place and food.

etc: Maybe my Ruger 10/22 as a small game getter. Stationary, primary searching for food and weathering the storm...not likely to engage with anyone

Last edited:
    Top Bottom