• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cnl390

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    I am planning on buying my first gun safe, but there are so many out there I don't know if I have the time or patience to research them all. So as the saying goes, "If you want water, go to the well".

I want a good gun safe. It does not have to have all kinds of bells and whistles, but I do want quality. So please post your reccommdations, opinion and favorites.

Thanks,
    Charles
    DK Firearms

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I have one that I bought from American Security Products about 15 years ago ( [URL]http://www.amsecusa.com/[/URL] ) for around $700. Good safe; works just like it's supposed to. Mine holds twelve long guns and has several shelves for pistols, etc. I built a rack for most of the pistols that fits on the top shelf that goes across the entire safe.

I was in California at the time, so the truck freight bill was not bad. I shared the cost with a couple of other guys who were buying safes at the same time. You would probably be better off buying something locally to cut down on the freight cost.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    The main reason I am asking price is that I also am looking for a safe and have been researching them myself. What I have found is that if you take a 14 gun safe (avg. dimensions) you can spend anywhere from $500 at Academy, $750 at my local gunshop, to $2500 for some top pf the line super fire proof safe. I'm sure that there are folks much more knowledgeable than I am on here. This is just what I have been noticing. I will probably be going with the $750 middle range one myself (mainly due to budget and kids) with the knowledge that I will eventually upgrade to bigger and better quality later in life when finances allow.

cnl390

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    I am probably looking in the $500-$750 range. I can get by with a 12-14 long gun safe. From what I understand you want one with hardware, lag bolts, etc. and a hole drilled for an electrical cord.
    Here is one place I found online, there are plenty more.

American Security Products

There is a higher end American Security on Craig's list & it is in Austin.

Fisherman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    You might look around and find a good used one, though it might take a little time. You could possibly end up with one a little better than you originally expected.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Sentry has a "fair" 10 long gun
    Sentry Gun Safe - 4061927 | Tractor Supply Company

Its $349 at Tractor Supply

It's lite so bolt it down. It's only 150 pounds vs 650 for a 30 gun cannon

I have, hate to admit it, 2 of these for my ammo and such and am getting another one next week.

I don't like the plug in dehumidifiers
    I use the bucket of damprid from walmart
    combined with a rechargeable dehumidifier
    http://www.lackasafe.com/products/rechargeable-cordless-dehumidifier-spad-100
    I keep 1 in the safe and one plugged in and change them out once a month

I had a safe fire caused by one of the plug in things

Top Bottom