Venture Surplus ad

What is a good handgun to go hunting with?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wheels

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I want to shoot some pigs. What is a good hand gun to hunt with? I use a wheelchair and I hate trying to shoot a rifle. I am like Barney 5 with a rifle. But I am very steady with a hand gun.
    Guns International

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I know some people are using 1911's in .45 for hand gun hunting game like deer. That said, it may be ok for pigs too, but I don't know. .44 mag and similar wheel guns are also often used as sidearms hunting in areas where havalina are likely to try to take body parts off.

There's a guy on another forum that's been keeping a diary if you will, on-line using 230 gn Golden Sabre's in a 1911 to take deer. It seems handgun hunting of bog game has a little following. It's much more sport as everything from ammo to pistol to skill and shoot placement has to be just right to take one down and not jst butcher up an animal.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Here is a great place to start reading, it has lots of useful info.
    TIPS HUNTING WILD HOGS TEXAS BOAR HUNTING TIPS FERAL HOGS HUNTING WILD BOAR

Once on the website and after you have read about what to use.....this will better tell you where to send your projectile.
    WILD BOAR ANATOMY, HUNTING WILD BOAR TEXAS, TEXAS HOG HUNTING HEART LUNG SHOT PLACEMNET

I use a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Cassull. It has a Leupold 2x EER scope and Crimson Trace (laser) grips. It's as heavy as a rifle, but much easier to maneuver. I use 300gr Hornady's for hunting, Long Colts for target shooting. It will take anything in North America, you can go bigger (.50 magnum).....but you don't need to. You can also go smaller, as lots of guys use .44 magnum.

There are certainly guys using .45acp. I won't get into the 'debate' about caliber. Smaller calibers will work on smaller pigs. However, if you want to be able to take out a larger pig, go with .44mag or better.

How do you get into the hunting area? Are you using an atv or driving in? I ask because they make a convertible blind for atv's. I have one, it mounts to the rear rack and is very compact. Once you are positioned, it pulls over you (and has a frame to support it) like a U-shaped slinky.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I wouldn't mind buying a 10mm to try out on hogs either. I don't know how well it would work on the hogs I hunt, but I would still like to try it out. I like the idea of the Glock for that, lots of accessories, lightweight, good mag capacity, and quick follow-ups. I'm not going to get one, as I have plenty of suitable weapons for hogs......but I still think it would be interesting.

I tend to direct new handgun hunters to the heavier revolvers, as they are much more forgiving of less-than-perfect shots.

Also, something to consider for the OP is that he is in a wheelchair. It is infinitely better for him to have a DRT (dead right there) and NOT have to go tracking into the brush. You can barely walk in the brush at our ranch, so a wheelchair isn't going to get very far. An atv works great if you don't mind plugging tires.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have a friend that has taken a few Black Bears with a .44 mag....He only hunts with handguns....feels it is more sporting.

I think he's NUTS!

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    TX boars is a good site to visit. I like the 44 mag or 45 colt. You can do with others, depending on how you hunt and when/ if you will take a marginal shot.

Reverendbiker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    I've got an old Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag that I've had for years. This gun just fits my hand and falls to my eye perfectly, so I'm fairly accurate with it. Great hunting gun, especially for hogs.

crs2fer4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Grapevine, TX
    This is a .50 Desert Eagle that took out a bear in one shot. Im not a hunter, but damn

Attachments

• .50deserteagle.jpg
      .50deserteagle.jpg
      15.5 KB · Views: 162

XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    I have a ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt I use as a sidearm for hunts. If I was to hunt with a pistol I would use a ruger 44 mag super blackhawk or a ruger 454 casull super redhawk.

GUNSLINGER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2008
    I take my Kimber TLE II. .45 is good enough for most things you would need while hunting. Unless you are hunting bear or something.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom