• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Reading an article last week about folks cutting cable. A Kodi Box was mentioned. From the description it'll stream any show or movie that's been digitally released for free. Outside the cost of the box.

Did search on Amazon. Some say to have "Kodi" installed.

https://www.amazon.com/kodi-box/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:kodi box

I'm currently using a Roku on the TV. How is a Kodi Box different and is it really free to watch certain shows? Do I need to buy a Kodi Box?
    Guns International

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    It’s any number of devices that can run the Kodi software. Kodi is free, open source, and installable on nearly anything. If you want to see what it is, download and install on your PC.

Here: Kodi

james.long48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2015
    I wouldn't buy a "kodi box". You can install kodi on a $40 firestick. Kodi is open source as mentioned. There are apps that exist that can stream and movie/show, for free. Now the legality of all this... I can't recommend ;-).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Depending on which Roku you have, you can put Kodi on it. But if not, the Amazon Firestick works really well for $40.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    I don't think there has been a legal challenge here in the US (yet), but a court in EMEA found that it wasn't piracy if a copy was not retained (in other words, streaming with Kodi video add-ons is not illegal there)

The Hollywood mob may be better lawyered up if it ever goes to court in the US.

But Kodi is just an app that runs an a media system... that system can be android, windows, etc
    And the app itself doesn't do anything illegal, but you can load video add-ons that will stream just about anything

Last edited:

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Kodi is a method to steal media
    If that's ALL it's for, so is windows, so is the internet, so is linux, so are USB drives... it's merely a tool that can be used.

It can also be used to play digital media that has been purchased. Not everything has to come on a disc anymore, how do you think movies are delivered to the theater now that they've gone digital?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If that's ALL it's for, so is windows, so is the internet, so is linux, so are USB drives... it's merely a tool that can be used.

It can also be used to play digital media that has been purchased. Not everything has to come on a disc anymore, how do you think movies are delivered to the theater now that they've gone digital?
    sure thing

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That's about the most ignorant statement I've ever seen you make.
    I tried to educate him a long time ago in a thread, iirc, about Game of Thrones and how everyone involved *wanted* it to be pirated. He just couldn't wrap his head around the way digital media distribution works in the real world.

I tried but it didn't take. I suggest you don't bother.

Charlie Primero

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2017
    Forest Country
    I apologize but I'm not familiar with "Popcorn Time".

It appears to be a bundle of VPN, Media Manager like Kodi, and download links.

I do all that stuff manually. I visit a website that lists new movie torrents, fire up my VPN and download the ones I want, then use Kodi to watch them on my big living room TV.

I have a super-quiet computer sitting next to my TV and use a USB dongle that reads my TV remote control to navigate Kodi.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    So many folks at work have been talking about these “jailbroken firesticks” for the last 2 years. I still haven’t jumped on board because I’m skeptical. Is it correct that you choose a setting to allow 3rd party programs to install onto the firestick? If this is so, how do you prevent or is it even possible for one of these 3rd party programs to access all devices on your home network? Sorry is this is a goofy question. This is all way over my head.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I apologize but I'm not familiar with "Popcorn Time".

It appears to be a bundle of VPN, Media Manager like Kodi, and download links.

I do all that stuff manually. I visit a website that lists new movie torrents, fire up my VPN and download the ones I want, then use Kodi to watch them on my big living room TV.

I have a super-quiet computer sitting next to my TV and use a USB dongle that reads my TV remote control to navigate Kodi.

So streaming is actually legal (gray area "not technically illegal" may be a better term), but downloading and storing is what's been deemed illegal.

Not that I really care, and you may already know this...but others may not

So many folks at work have been talking about these “jailbroken firesticks” for the last 2 years. I still haven’t jumped on board because I’m skeptical. Is it correct that you choose a setting to allow 3rd party programs to install onto the firestick? If this is so, how do you prevent or is it even possible for one of these 3rd party programs to access all devices on your home network? Sorry is this is a goofy question. This is all way over my head.

The whole deal started as XBMC (XBox Media Center) where people shared content. Google XBMC or Kodi's wiki page for more info...

But it's basically an open-source app, just like every other app that you have on a tablet or phone. In fact, you can install Kodi on any tablet or (jailbroken) iPhone...or computer for that matter.

It just streams media that's hosted offshore all over the world. As an app, it really only has the permissions you grant it.

All of our Kodi fire sticks are about 2 years old, I need to update them because the repositories no longer work once Kodi updated to the latest about a year or so ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I usually update mine about once a month. I like to watch older and more obscure things that are hosted on fewer servers and they stop working more often.

Top Bottom