Venture Surplus ad

What is it about night vision tubes that make them so expensive???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a semi-irrational urge to buy some good Gen 3 image intensification night vision gear.
    An AN/PVS-14 in front of an ACOG anyone???

But DANG!!!
    $3,500.00 for the stuff.

One of the AN/PVS-14 sellers at the SAXET show yesterday came down from 3,350 to 3000 and an the end of the day he would have sold it for a mere $2,600 plus tax. The really irrational part of me started to think this was actually cheap.

I'd love a AN/PVS-7 binocular version. Drove on a friends ranch one night with no headlights and his PVS-7 and I was smitten. Too much fun.
    The AN/PVS-14 monocular has the huge advantage of being weapon-mountable. A huge practical application, though, I've no experience.

I still, as my purpose of this post, wonder what the heck is in the things that costs so very very very much.
    I'm typing on a Macbook Air that can be had new for $999 and seems infinitely more complex and tech sophisticated.. I don't get it!

When I'm really irrational I want a PVS-7 AND a PVS-14.
    Save me from myself.

ps.
    Do not EVEN bring up FLIR scopes!!!!!

Last edited:

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    There are a few avail hardly noticeable blemished Gen-III tubes out there from 300-500$. And you can get a complete PVS-14 unit minus the tube for 700$. PM me if you want the info. I just bought 2 of those tubes and Iam picking up 2 of the tubeless units tomorrow. Here's a pic of 1 of the tubes I just got for 300$. Tested it in my friends unit and the burn I guess it is effects nothing and I can see very well with it.

s-l1600.jpg

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    I scored a PVS-14 for a grand (legally, they were milsurp turn-ins thru AIM, IIRC) a couple of years ago and put it on my .300 BLK Hawg Hammer. The one I got has no burns or blemishes and works great. The Gen 3 stuff just smokes any of the previous gen units, and if you can find a good price on them, you should jump on it quick if you really want in on NVG tech.

FLIR is where it's at, now, but I have zero regrets having bought the PVS-14. I sincerely wish I could find another deal like the first one I bought. I had to go without lunch for a few months, but I needed to lose wieght anyway.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    PVS-7 are better for driving then a PVS-14, but the PVS-14 is more practical. The problem with mounting a PVS-14 behind something is having to hold the weapon tp seen. Same thing as using binoculars to search, but the scope to shoot. Helmet mount the PVS-14 & buy a weapon mounted IR laser for shooting.

Now to save you from yourself. The right helmet & mount make all the difference on the world. I' have gone frome the crapy head gear that comes in a package deal(don't buy a package deal), to a kelar helmet & rhino mount to a PT Bravo L4 to finally end up with a Team Wendy & Norotos mount.
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/gear-accessories/65745-my-night-vision-helmet-complete.html

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    OP back tonight.

Thanks for the responses.

OMG
    I'm feeling an expense coming on.

A friend with an AN/PVS-14 just left my house.

How it this for a one sublime setup:::::
    Ruger SR-22 22lr rifle.
    My Gemtech MIST-22 suppressor I've had on it.
    His AN/PVS-14 with a quick detach Picatinny mount.
    My Triicon SRS that I've never really liked with it's gigantic aperture. Sort of disappears out of focus on the PVS-14.
    My Surefire M952V infrared flashlight mounted. Never had a use till now. Lights up 800 feet away.

Never mind that I just had $5,400.00 of accessories on a $450 rifle!!!!!

What a dream.
    Shooting cans in utter darkness at 50 yards silently. Bump-click. Bump-click. Bump-click sound!!!
    Gemtech orange box sub-sonic ammo made by CCI is super accurate.

i'm in love.

They say, when you die "You can't take it with you", though that has never been proven.

Geez.
    How can I NOT buy one now!!!!!!

!

HKS

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

Just remember most places that sell it want to sell you stuff you don't really need. I never once used the lanyard on my PVS-14. The j-arm is fine on a rhino mount, but rhino mounts basically suck. Can't imagine what they charge for the boot lace & pinhole cover. Buy a Matbock Tarsier Eclipse. As for a Surefire Vampire I have 3 of them. 2 scouts & the hand held with a QC mount. A buddy gave me a bore sighter for my DBAL found it cheap on e-bay. He also gave me an arbor for the M203.
    [h=1][/h]

Top Bottom