• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    I am a current LTC instructor, but have a niece that we're in the process of adopting (her parents died suddenly), and she and the rest of my family need all my attention. I am up for renewal and was going to go down to Georgetown for a day to requal my Instructors cert. But due to pending legislation and my current family needs, I am thinking about letting it lapse. I can always pick it back up again, I figured.

BUT, what does one have to do nowadays to become an instructor if I want to go it again in a couple of years. Obviously, I'd need to reapply, show my NRA Instructor's info, etc. But what does one have to do once the application is accepted?

Is it a 4 or 8 hour course down in Georgetown or what? I've been doing it for years and was curious about the current req's for new instructors.

Chris
    Military Camp

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    New instructor is still a 36 hour course plus live fire...

Far less, oh my SO far less, painful to just choke down the "half day" classroom renewal now.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    What pending Legislation? I just went to Georgetown on Tuesday for the 4 hour required for renewal. Right now they said there are about 4K instructors....don't let it lapse if you can help it, imho....

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    BY "legislation" I mean they're going towards a 4 hour online course that will require an instructor to do only the range Q plus a one hour "gun use course"? That will be more work coordinating random people who have taken the online class at different times, will pay less, and will take me away from family more. Just thinking it through.

Honestly, I'm happy that things are becoming easier to get a CHL. The thought that we even NEED a chl to carry is offensive to me. The second amendment IS my CHL. But it's becoming harder to be an instructor in the sense that the market is flooded with instructors (4k of them?!) and the state is moving towards a computer course model. That leaves 4k instructors that will be needed only for a low paying range qualification.

Again, just thinking things through.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    OP: You sir, have my respect and admiration for stepping up in the matter concerning your niece. Sincere condolences in the loss of your family members. That's a tough road to hold.

While I would agree, "to maintain" tends to always require less time, money and energy than "starting over", I'm not so sure your long term analysis is off base (at least concerning the direction Texas seems to be headed). Nobody has a crystal ball, so it's a bit difficult to see how all this will play out. Between the movement afoot in Texas towards constitutional carry (requiring no license) and the push at the national level for reciprocity between states (presumably, requiring some kind of licensing mechanism to be recognized), your analysis may hit close to what ultimately manifests.

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Doubtful many will go for the online license....Some who do not have to qualify, ie. Military yes...others? Pay once to an instructor or pay twice........I think once will be the preferred choice......jmho...

Top Bottom