Hurley's Gold

What is the best .22LR Self-Defense Ammunition?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    A better one from Tnoutdoors9. Expansion in gel from a rifle is even better..
    For AustinN4, start at the 2:49 mark. :)

Last edited:

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I agree.

None wants to be shot.
    No one wants to be shot with a .22.

I suspect that all of us, here, know there are better defensive calibers, of course.
    This thread is about "If you....."

The .22 Velocitor seems to answer the OP pretty well.
    I'm going to buy some.

Carry the biggest little caliber possible!

Thanks

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I have been using velocitors for a few years. Even shot a small pig with one from about 40 yards. DRT. They by far are the hardest hitting .22lr and do expand reliably. If you can do your part I have little doubt that a .22 will do the job if needed. Obviously there are better choices for most of us, but I can see a reason why some choose it.

wileycoyote

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2017
    Haskell County in West Texas
    while there are more effective rounds available, i prefer CCI #0056 Subsonics because they're extremely quiet in my marlin. kind'a like having a suppressor on it. being able to hear well during a self-defense situation is usually considered an important thing.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I keep electronic ear muffs beside the bed to protect my hearing in the event I need to shoot indoors.
    But I'm not going to carry a. 22 as an EDC because I'm worried about my hearing.

cb51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    I go CCI in my .22's that I use for self defense, but only for the more reliable ignition. As far as bullet type, it doesn't seem to make a big difference if it's a gut shot. Growing up, I saw a few shooting that were from those Rohm RG 22 revolvers that were all over the streets. Never saw anyone get shot in the body core especially if it was a low shot that didn't go down on the pavement doubled up in a fetal position.

Some of the most popular guns in D.C. was those rg 22 revolvers and cheap Italian Galese .25 autos. Later FIE Titan .25's were around a lot, but still a lot of cheap .22 revolvers. They put a lot of people down. They were all loaded with whatever was cheap.

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    The Israeli's got the border guards Ruger 10/22's to "discourage" threats down range.
    They eventually retired them with the official explanation given as "unexpected lethality".
    Apparently they were accidentally killing wannabe terrorists out to a couple hunnerd yards.
    Then Mossad was famous for using a Beretta model 70 in 22lr for assassinations.
    Nasty li'l round.

cb51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    The Israeli's got the border guards Ruger 10/22's to "discourage" threats down range.
    They eventually retired them with the official explanation given as "unexpected lethality".
    Apparently they were accidentally killing wannabe terrorists out to a couple hunnerd yards.
    Then Mossad was famous for using a Beretta model 70 in 22lr for assassinations.
    Nasty li'l round.

Unexpected lethality.

I guess that's what happened to this idiot when he thought a .22 pistol wold make a nice drill to put a hole in the wall for a cable!

People keep on under estimating the .22 round.

Man Installing Satellite TV Shoots, Kills Wife
    Patsy Long Died From Gunshot Wound To Chest
    36Shares

kmbc.png

Updated: 11:29 AM CDT Mar 26, 2008

SEDALIA, Mo. —
    Officials are trying to determine whether to file charges against a man who fatally shot his wife while trying to install a satellite television system in their home.

Patsy D. Long, 34, of Deep Water, was pronounced dead early Saturday evening after being shot in the chest with a .22-caliber handgun.

Patsy Long was standing outside the residence while her husband was installing a satellite television system.

According to sheriff's department spokesman Maj. Robert Hills, Ronald Long fired a shot from the inside of their home after several unsuccessful efforts to punch a hole through the exterior wall using other means. Investigators said Ronald Long believed his family was inside the house.

He told authorities that he fired a second shot, then called out his wife's name and the names of their two children. When he got no reply, he ran outside and found his wounded wife.

Patsy Long was hit by the second of two shots fired by Ronald Long, the Henry County Sheriff's Department said.

Hills said a person involved in such a case normally would be charged with manslaughter, but that was up to the prosecutor.

"Once we complete a diagram of the incident, we will be submitting everything to the prosecuting attorney and let him decide if he wants to press criminal charges," Hills said.

Hills described the family as being very "distraught."

Henry County Coroner Scott Largent declined to release details about Patsy Long's death until the Sheriff's Department completes its investigation.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Unexpected lethality.

I guess that's what happened to this idiot when he thought a .22 pistol wold make a nice drill to put a hole in the wall for a cable!

People keep on under estimating the .22 round.

Man Installing Satellite TV Shoots, Kills Wife
    Patsy Long Died From Gunshot Wound To Chest
    36Shares

View attachment 129418
    Updated: 11:29 AM CDT Mar 26, 2008

SEDALIA, Mo. —
    Officials are trying to determine whether to file charges against a man who fatally shot his wife while trying to install a satellite television system in their home.

Patsy D. Long, 34, of Deep Water, was pronounced dead early Saturday evening after being shot in the chest with a .22-caliber handgun.

Patsy Long was standing outside the residence while her husband was installing a satellite television system.

According to sheriff's department spokesman Maj. Robert Hills, Ronald Long fired a shot from the inside of their home after several unsuccessful efforts to punch a hole through the exterior wall using other means. Investigators said Ronald Long believed his family was inside the house.

He told authorities that he fired a second shot, then called out his wife's name and the names of their two children. When he got no reply, he ran outside and found his wounded wife.

Patsy Long was hit by the second of two shots fired by Ronald Long, the Henry County Sheriff's Department said.

Hills said a person involved in such a case normally would be charged with manslaughter, but that was up to the prosecutor.

"Once we complete a diagram of the incident, we will be submitting everything to the prosecuting attorney and let him decide if he wants to press criminal charges," Hills said.

Hills described the family as being very "distraught."

Henry County Coroner Scott Largent declined to release details about Patsy Long's death until the Sheriff's Department completes its investigation.

The perfect murder?

wileycoyote

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2017
    sad story, but lets not lose perspective: while its believed that more people have been killed with the 22 rimfire than any other round, that doesn't make it a particularly good choice for self defense.

Sanow/Marshall compiled a study involving thousands and thousands of actual shootings. they had criteria rating the stopping power of a single round to the torso (often referred to as "One Shot Stops", aka OSS).

the 22LR was effective is stopping an attacker around 30% of the time, vs better centerfire rounds that were effective into the mid 90% range.

also keep in mind that trying to make up for its lackluster ineffectiveness with a second/third/fourth/etc hit doesn't have the same sort of impact as the first, due to the way a body absorbs those additional shocks.

so yes, while the 22LR is lethal and does kill lots of folks, those deaths may occur hours or even days later.

thus the 22LR may not do the job quickly enough to not stop a pumped up aggressor before he can do you harm.

Last edited:

cb51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    sad story, but lets not lose perspective: while its believed that more people have been killed with the 22 rimfire than any other round, that doesn't make it a particularly good choice for self defense.

Sanow/Marshall compiled a study involving thousands and thousands of actual shootings. they had criteria rating the stopping power of a single round to the torso (often referred to as "One Shot Stops", aka OSS).

the 22LR was effective is stopping an attacker around 30% of the time, vs better centerfire rounds that were effective into the mid 90% range.

also keep in mind that trying to make up for its lackluster ineffectiveness with a second/third/fourth/etc hit doesn't have the same sort of impact as the first, due to the way a body absorbs those additional shocks.

so yes, while the 22LR is lethal and does kill lots of folks, those deaths may occur hours or even days later.

thus the 22LR may not do the job quickly enough to not stop a pumped up aggressor before he can do you harm.

I can't go by statistics, only my own experience. I was a firsthand witness to three shootings with a .22. In one case a .22 rifle was used. In two cases cheap German made RG .22 revolvers were used. In all cases, the person shot with the .22 and hit in the stomach was down on the pavement with just one shot in three of the cases, and two shots in one case.

That's 4 out of 4 shooting where a .22 from four different weapons put the attacker down immediately, and judging from he sounds coming from the shootee, in great pain.

(Edited by Vaquero)

Last edited by a moderator:

wileycoyote

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2017
    more subjective than sanow/marshall but i sure can't argue with firsthand experience. if you're happy, i'm happy. go for it cb51! :-)

i once owned a RG22 and was happy to get a couple rounds to fire every cylinder full. a true POS, but definitely better than nothing.

cb51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    Yeah.
    While I can appreciate the real experience stuff, I'd rather not hear of involvement in felonies by gun owners on our site.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply any unlawful behavior. I just thought that maybe given my experience of being a teenage gang member in a violent inner city neighborhood was an other perspective in what happens in real world shootings. I joined the army and spent the rest of my life trying to make up for the violent gang banger I was. I just thought another point of view was needed. Didn't mean any insult or injury to anyone.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom