Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Here is the question.

Do you have an objective and quantifiable standard for an optic that it must meet/pass in order for you to consider purchasing it?
    How can you expect to get an answer to that without us not knowing it's purpose? It's like asking what's the best hammer? - makes a big difference if you are demoing a wall, or working on finish trim. If you specified a purpose, you'd probably get more meaningful responses.
    ARJ Defense ad

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The military tends to use whatever fits into the box that someone has drawn up specifically. That’s why you see different options across the different branches.

There's lots of unit purchases, personal optics, etc. As for general issue stuff, they seem to place an emphasis on durability and reticles, so you tend to see chevron reticles tailored to M16's or M4's, or Mil-Rad, and red dots.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    Thank you for all the replies and knowledge. I failed to be clear.

I’m not asking what scope I should buy.

I’m asking what are your objective standards for an optic and how do you evaluate them. I’m asking about you, the reader, and what are acceptable and unacceptable characteristics.

I read through many many forums about scopes. Nearly no one has objective standards. I’m asking if you, the reader have objective standards for a scope. Anything below that standard is out.
    Anything above that standard is in.

If you do have an objective standard, how do you evaluate it?

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Thank you for all the replies and knowledge. I failed to be clear.

I’m not asking what scope I should buy.

I’m asking what are your objective standards for an optic and how do you evaluate them. I’m asking about you, the reader, and what are acceptable and unacceptable characteristics.

I read through many many forums about scopes. Nearly no one has objective standards. I’m asking if you, the reader have objective standards for a scope. Anything below that standard is out.
    Anything above that standard is in.

If you do have an objective standard, how do you evaluate it?

No one will have an objective standard because most of us have more than one rifle we do (or plan to do) different things with. There are basic things, like being able to survive light rain, and not being broken out of the box, but nearly every optic does that.

What makes a $250 red dot unacceptable for my AUG or AR15's makes it perfectly acceptable for a 10/22 takedown. If we're talking about buying optics for a bunch of Anderson AR15's you're going to hand out to neighbors in the apocalypse, the answer you get won't be the same as the answer for blowing stacks of cash on your personal SHTF rifle, which'll be different than the answer to what you should put on the rifle you plan on taking on an Elk hunt in Montana

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Someone is bucking for their conversation starter badge.

Asking for ones minimally acceptable list of vague personal preferences and then insisting on a concise definition of how they perceive those preferences and repeatedly asking to rephrase them in an acceptable descriptive manner so as convey universal clarity and understanding is an exercise in mind numbing futility as we have seen.

Christ almighty, it has to work and be available when you need it. How it gets to that point is totally up to you. You'll know when you know after knowing when it isn't.

Enjoy the journey. Make a decision and learn from it or over think it for the next decade and don't.

Last edited:

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    The only objective that I have when choosing optics for any firearm is buying the best scope for the particular job the firearm will mainly serve.
    Most people that buy optics because they have "Lifetime" warranties really need to look at how many optics companies have either been bought out by other companies, or stopped making scopes, or went out of business. Where's your warranty now?

I mainly look at where the scope is made. Most of the best quality scopes are made in Japan, or European countries. Most of the cheaper quality scopes are from China, Taiwan, and the Philippines.

Tracking and repeatability are the main things that I look at when buying most of my scopes. Next would be the reticle choices offered. Choosing the wrong type of reticle for the type of service the gun will be used for can make you hate even the best scope.
    Does the scope have enough adjustment travel for the type of shooting you plan on doing? Most hunting scopes don't need too much adjustment range, but shoot out to 1k yard's or a mile, depending on the cartridge you're shooting you may need a whole lot of adjustment capability plus may need to have the ability to use a type of tree reticle for even more hold range and windage adjustments.

I don't buy cheap scopes, so clarity, resolution, glass quality, etc. isn't something that I need to worry about. Cheap scopes aren't good, and Good scopes aren't cheap!

Top Bottom