• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    So say you finally picked a gun, looked around for a good price and now you're in the store. (While I'm here, take a safety course before of after getting a gun, even if you know the basics?) Is money put down like first, then you take a background check or what? What kind of info is needed for the background check and how long does it take? ...When I got my DL it required info that I would not have known without my dad. Info that I've pretty much already forgotten.

But yeah, how does the whole background check process work? Reds indoor range/shop is a place near me. As well as many big box stores.

Thanks,
    Higgins909

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    You choose the firearm, you give the FFL dealer's employee your ID (TX Driver's License/TX ID card), you properly fill out the Form 4473, and then the FFL dealer's employee calls the NICS (National Instant Check System, which IS the background check), then wait to hear from the FFL dealer's employee that the deal can proceed. The proceed usually happens very quickly but can sometimes be delayed. But in any case, once the proceed comes or a certain amount of time has passed, then you can complete the transaction between yourself and the FFL dealer and take the weapon home. There are NO waiting periods in Texas. The only possible wait is if the NICS check is delayed.

If you have a current TX License To Carry (LTC), then the dealer will not need to do the NICS check and will proceed after you've properly completed the Form 4473 and paid for your purchase.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Also, if you already know the basics of firearm use, you really don't really need a safety course. Just follow the cardinal rules of firearm safety which are: 1) Treat every gun as if it were loaded, 2) Always keep the muzzle of the weapon pointed in a safe direction, 3) Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire, 4) Do not depend on any mechanical device for safety, and 5) Always be sure of your target and what may be in front or behind it.

However, if you feel you would like to take a basic pistol course, by all means do. I would never dissuade anyone from doing so, and it would cover the aforementioned rules.

By the way, the process diesel1959 described above does apply to purchases from a FFL; but the process is different during a private sale (buying from an individual). Basically, that is a cash-and-carry transaction as long as it follows some certain rules (residents of Texas, buyer not suspected of being ineligible to own a firearm, etc.). There is no requirement for a NICS check during a private sale and contrary to believe, bills of sale have no legal standing and are not required. In fact, considering they involve sharing your PII with someone, most recommend against them...

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Long story short, walk up to the counter and tell them you want to buy a firearm. They will walk you through it.

Ask them about classes and they should be able to help there too.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    BTW, I believe there is a gunshow in Round Rock next weekend. You may find a better deal there and the process is the same.

Red's isn't known for their great prices.

PS you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer and 18 to buy a long gun.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Most any place will walk you through the process. You don't need to bring a birth certificate or anything like that. Just have your DL and SSN. You have to be very meticulous filling out the form 4473, so pay attention to the instructions.

Also, Red's is not the best place to purchase a firearm IMO.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    If you do buy it from a FFL at a gun show look for a FFL that has chairs for you to fill out the form. Gun shows can be crowded and being able to sit down while you read the form and fill it out and then wait for the background check can be nice.

A private sale is a valid option. Even if it's a pump shotgun as a home defense gun. It can be worth the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    My first purchase took about 15 minutes after filling out the form 4473, none since has taken any longer.
    I would suggest getting familiar with the Texas gun laws.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    BTW, I believe there is a gunshow in Round Rock next weekend. You may find a better deal there and the process is the same.

Red's isn't known for their great prices.

PS you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer and 18 to buy a long gun.
    Will look into that gunshow. I'm not really a fan of crowds though... Does it cost me money to have the background check done? What about the range at red's? For handguns I'm not really sure where else I could shoot. I'm thinking either a handgun or a shotgun for skeet/trap... but not a skeet shotgun.

topduarte

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2017
    You are welcome to tag along with me this weekendvat gun show or go shooting at reds. Im in Pflugerville.

Feel free to pm me here or text me at 512 947 5537.

Thanks. Manny

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Will look into that gunshow. I'm not really a fan of crowds though... Does it cost me money to have the background check done? What about the range at red's? For handguns I'm not really sure where else I could shoot. I'm thinking either a handgun or a shotgun for skeet/trap... but not a skeet shotgun.

If you're worried about cost, then why are you shopping at Red's?!? :banghead:

To answer your question, no it doesn't cost you to get the background check done. That is a requirement of the FFL to sell the rifle to you, not for you as the buyer.

As for ranges, get a hold of some of the other members from the Austin area. I am sure they will help you find a more suitable/affordable place to shoot than Red's!

Lastly, guns shows are usually not that crowded. Not sure which one you may be going to, but most likely they are no more people per aisle than at your local grocery store when it's busy.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It sounds like you have no idea what you want or are even looking for.

We have our "Family Reunion" meet coming up October 7th at TSSR by Coperas Cove. There is no better opportunity to check out many different guns and most members will let you shoot them. It is also a good opportunity to put some faces with screen names.

I recommend attendance for all members but especially someone in your situation.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It sounds like you have no idea what you want or are even looking for.

We have our "Family Reunion" meet coming up October 7th at TSSR by Coperas Cove. There is no better opportunity to check out many different guns and most members will let you shoot them. It is also a good opportunity to put some faces with screen names.

I recommend attendance for all members but especially someone in your situation.
    https://www.texasguntalk.com/index.php?posts/1639117

Top Bottom