Join TexasGunTalk

What is the most economical DIY way to refinish a worn firearm?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by glick88, Apr 16, 2013.

1. glick88

glick88 New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    I recently purchased a Bulgarian Makarov with Very little bluing left un worn. What is the best DIY way to refinish it. Is it easier to parkerize it or try to have it re-blued?

2. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Do you use Google? Every post of yours I've seen just asks a simple question. Have you found any answers you like yet? Not tryin' to be rude, just curious?

3. glick88

glick88 New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    I'm trying to ask for people (on this forums) opinion... Thought that perhaps someone here has some sort of insight, opinion or first hand knowledge that isn't as common as the average "google" result.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  4. Acera

Acera TGT Addict

Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I have used these kits in the past with good results. Variety of colors, cheap and easy. My local ACE hardware carries extra spray bottles so what I don't use can go on another project.

DuraCoat Shake 'N Spray

SHAKE_N_SPRAY_MED.jpg

5. 556.45.12

556.45.12 Active Member

Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    BBQ Grill paint... I mean.. It's a Makarov...

6. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Ed Zachary!

7. CanTex

CanTex Active Member TGT Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Academy or Cabellas, Pick up one of the bluing kits. Easy to use and you would learn what they can do for future use on more expensive guns.

8. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I use cold blue to refinish entire rifles from time to time.

Remove all old bluing, put on latex gloves, remove all oil with brake clean or wipe down surface very well with rubbing alcohol. Do not handle again without latex gloves on.

Get a bottle of cold blue and a cheap sponge or 2. Saturate the sponge and apply the cold blue. If you try to put it on thin it don't work nearly as good.

Follow the apply and rinse directions till its as dark as you want it to be. It seems to come out better if i go over it with some super fine steel wool after each rinse.

The. oil the crap out of it. I usually spray it down real good with rem oil, don't wipe it off. Let it sit till it looks dry and do it again. I usually do this 3-4 times. Spraying it until its dripping off. When you think the metal isn't gonna soak up any more oil wipe it down with a dry cloth to remove the excess.

Viola, good as new.

It's best to do an entire section at a time, don't wanna do half the barrel and come back for the other half.

9. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Cold blue is relatively easy and cheap for a real beat up but functional gun. Dad and I redid an old 12ga in rough shape with the Birchwood Casey reblue/refinish kit. Thing looks like a million bucks compared what it was.

I have parkerized at home using a homebrew recipe (rather than a parkerizing kit). Unless you want to be involved in refinishing for multiple, regular projects in order to get technique & process down, do not go this route (of the home brew). I haven't tried a park kit and I imagine those would be easier.

For your purposes, I say try the cold blue. It is pretty cheap, easy and available.

10. Army 1911

Army 1911 TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Rust, just let it rust. It is a time proven finish for Maks