Lynx Defense

What is the most economical DIY way to refinish a worn firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glick88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    I recently purchased a Bulgarian Makarov with Very little bluing left un worn. What is the best DIY way to refinish it. Is it easier to parkerize it or try to have it re-blued?
    Texas SOT

glick88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Do you use Google? Every post of yours I've seen just asks a simple question. Have you found any answers you like yet? Not tryin' to be rude, just curious?

I'm trying to ask for people (on this forums) opinion... Thought that perhaps someone here has some sort of insight, opinion or first hand knowledge that isn't as common as the average "google" result.

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I have used these kits in the past with good results. Variety of colors, cheap and easy. My local ACE hardware carries extra spray bottles so what I don't use can go on another project.

DuraCoat Shake 'N Spray

SHAKE_N_SPRAY_MED.jpg

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Academy or Cabellas, Pick up one of the bluing kits. Easy to use and you would learn what they can do for future use on more expensive guns.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I use cold blue to refinish entire rifles from time to time.

Remove all old bluing, put on latex gloves, remove all oil with brake clean or wipe down surface very well with rubbing alcohol. Do not handle again without latex gloves on.

Get a bottle of cold blue and a cheap sponge or 2. Saturate the sponge and apply the cold blue. If you try to put it on thin it don't work nearly as good.

Follow the apply and rinse directions till its as dark as you want it to be. It seems to come out better if i go over it with some super fine steel wool after each rinse.

The. oil the crap out of it. I usually spray it down real good with rem oil, don't wipe it off. Let it sit till it looks dry and do it again. I usually do this 3-4 times. Spraying it until its dripping off. When you think the metal isn't gonna soak up any more oil wipe it down with a dry cloth to remove the excess.

Viola, good as new.

It's best to do an entire section at a time, don't wanna do half the barrel and come back for the other half.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Cold blue is relatively easy and cheap for a real beat up but functional gun. Dad and I redid an old 12ga in rough shape with the Birchwood Casey reblue/refinish kit. Thing looks like a million bucks compared what it was.

I have parkerized at home using a homebrew recipe (rather than a parkerizing kit). Unless you want to be involved in refinishing for multiple, regular projects in order to get technique & process down, do not go this route (of the home brew). I haven't tried a park kit and I imagine those would be easier.

For your purposes, I say try the cold blue. It is pretty cheap, easy and available.

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    I've used blueing kits with great results. I've also had results with alumahyde from brownelles. I suppose it only depends on what you like.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    $35? wow... A rattle can of Krylon Fusion is only $4.50 and if you let it fully cure it's more durable than you might think.

I vote for the cold blueing, tho... Would probably look better than the Makarov's stock finish ;)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom