304.9 KB · Views: 346

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I don't think you understand what oddball means.
    30-30 still is popular in the NE as a deer gun but did not think they were all that popular here in TX.

I've not seen many for sale at guns shows or seen a lot of threads/posts about them in the forums here. My guess would have been they are an offbeat caliber in Texas mostly because of more open spaces when hunting. Are they popular here?

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    There are very few of the cartridges you guy's listed that I'd call "Offbeat". Most can easily be bought online,or brass can be bought to load your own.
    Offbeat to me is a rare antique cartridge or a wildcat cartridge. If you have to form or modify cases in order to make ammo for it,then it is Offbeat.

Just because your local Walmart or Sporting Goods store doesn't stock the cartridge you shoot doesn't make it Offbeat.
    The only ones that I have anymore are a 6.5-06 and a 6.5x6.8 wildcat AR-15.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    30-30 still is popular in the NE as a deer gun but did not think they were all that popular here in TX.

I've not seen many for sale at guns shows or seen a lot of threads/posts about them in the forums here. My guess would have been they are an offbeat caliber in Texas mostly because of more open spaces when hunting. Are they popular here?

A guy at a gun show a month back was trying to sell a new unfired Marlin .30-30 and not getting much attention from the dealers or the crowd. I considered it to thread the muzzle as a suppressor host.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    There are very few of the cartridges you guy's listed that I'd call "Offbeat". Most can easily be bought online,or brass can be bought to load your own.
    Offbeat to me is a rare antique cartridge or a wildcat cartridge. If you have to form or modify cases in order to make ammo for it,then it is Offbeat.

Just because your local Walmart or Sporting Goods store doesn't stock the cartridge you shoot doesn't make it Offbeat.
    The only ones that I have anymore are a 6.5-06 and a 6.5x6.8 wildcat AR-15.
    Something rare (seldom found) is necessarily offbeat but something offbeat is not necessarily rare - just not the usual that you would expect.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Put up a poll. I’m guessing 40-60% of us have one.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Put up a poll. I’m guessing 40-60% of us have one.
    I think demographics plays a lot into it. Most buddies were buying tactical stuff (I was too) but it was a good deal and I didn’t have one. Most of my Marine buddies are ARs, AKs, SCARs type stuff, maybe a bolt gun. Also cans and SBR type stuff. Lever action hunting rifles are not the popular thing right now, especially with all the calibers available in an AR.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    I think demographics plays a lot into it. Most buddies were buying tactical stuff (I was too) but it was a good deal and I didn’t have one. Most of my Marine buddies are ARs, AKs, SCARs type stuff, maybe a bolt gun. Also cans and SBR type stuff. Lever action hunting rifles are not the popular thing right now, especially with all the calibers available in an AR.
    I've noticed, over the years, when you are young, you often go with what is popular at the moment.(and yes it is but a moment). Some folks' tastes in guns stay that way even through a ripe old age; however, some others change their gun interests, not necessarily by no longer liking what they liked all along but by adding other things. Sometimes they add those of a bygone era. My son was into his AR, AKs more than any of my older long guns when we lived in NY and he got old enough to buy his own. He was also into whatever pistols I had that he could legally shoot when we went to NH or PA (of course, being law abiding citizens he never shot them in NY - me handing him one to just look at would have been considered a criminal act - FUAC). He never got a pistol license because he did not want to bend to the state that would have only given him a target/hunting pistol license (license to carry all but impossible for non-retired LEO or celebrity to obtain).

When he moved to AR, he got into pistols of his own and got himself a Beretta M9A3, a Glock 21 (a gift from me, I know that makes me a terrible dad to Glock haters), a Beretta 21A (another gift from me - should help me out with the Glock haters), a suppressor, body armor (may have gotten that in NY) and so on. One thing I noticed, as he got a bit older, he is in his thirties now and more independent - he started to gain more of an interest in older firearms. It's not he did not always have some interest in them since many of my guns he shot when we lived in NY were older, but his interest has grown as he has matured. It's nice for a pops to see one of his kids keeping an interest of the elder alive in the younger - not just his interest in firearms and shooting but in the older guns as well.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom