• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawi jm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    You would think if the video was made for educational purposes that they would have shown the weapon in the closed condition as that is probably the way it will be found in the field. Makes for better reconition. They showed one side and in one condition (slide open).

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    It's just a FN 5.7. The armor piercing ammo is not and has not been available to civilians. The civilian ammo is not armor piercing. That video is only designed to have an emotional effect, it doesn't even present any facts. It's not a real training video. There are plenty of other weapons out there that are much, much, more dangerous than the 5.7.

I didn't notice the date, but it was all the media rage to disparage the 5.7 as an armor piercing cop killing pistol when it first came out. The truth is, that has not been the reality and the civilian ammo isn't armor piercing.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Any video with Rage Against the Machine playing in the background is probably not going to be very educational. kingofwylietx has it right, the AP ammunition for those is LE only.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Not to mention, if you really want to be completely honest about it, pretty much ANY and all hunting rifles out there can easily penetrate most standard issue police body armor. IIRC, I think most police issue body armor is usually Level III or IIIA rated, which is pretty much for pistol rounds only. The only reason there is any controversy over specific firearms is because they are able to more easily appeal to the negative emotions of some people due to certain guns having more menacing looks or other characteristics. If they twist the facts a bit, it's not that hard for them to lie about the FN 57 and say that it's a "pistol that fires armor piercing rifle rounds", which sounds really menacing to the average uninformed person.

lunchbox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Not to mention, if you really want to be completely honest about it, pretty much ANY and all hunting rifles out there can easily penetrate most standard issue police body armor. IIRC, I think most police issue body armor is usually Level III or IIIA rated, which is pretty much for pistol rounds only. The only reason there is any controversy over specific firearms is because they are able to more easily appeal to the negative emotions of some people due to certain guns having more menacing looks or other characteristics. If they twist the facts a bit, it's not that hard for them to lie about the FN 57 and say that it's a "pistol that fires armor piercing rifle rounds", which sounds really menacing to the average uninformed person.

I myself am not that impressed with the 5.7
    most cops only wear a level 2 vest and thats not very effective against a 44 or 45 etc etc and if someone had a 223 I.E. kel-tec PLR 16 that would go right through a vest

the F.N. is expensive and most criminals are not going to waist their time with extensive guns

Top Bottom