ARJ Defense ad

What is the oldest pistol you would be confident carrying for self defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    It would totally depend on the circumstances, location, and type of activity.

In the woods / wilderness - I'd rock an old school single action army without much issue or similar design.

In town, a 1911 or Hi Power would be more my style, or perhaps a Walther P38, though I'd prefer the Hi Power.

Charging into a known gunfight? Definitely the Hi Power because of its (if we're going absolute traditional) 13 round magazine over the 7 of the 1911, or 5 of the SAA (leaving an empty chamber for carry...)
    Venture Surplus ad

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Open carry or concealed as it does not matter for this question.

For me it would be the venerable 1911.
    If I were going to limit myself to a weapon with only 7 or 8 shot capacity, I would probably go a little further and just carry one of my old revolvers in .357

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I think the question needs some clarification...

Oldest pistol I own?
    Oldest pistol type?
    Oldest by date of introduction?
    Is a revolver a pistol? (ATF definition says not)
    Does the OP really mean handgun?
    Am I a pedant? (Rhetorical question)
    What am I missing?

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    1659647734408.png

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I should probably be embarrassed to admit this, but I once carried a 1932 vintage model 1895 Nagant revolver.
    An acquaintance of mine, long before concealed carry was legal in Texas, regularly carried an 1896 Mauser complete with a skeletal metal shoulder stock he had made. He carried the whole thing in a leather bag. It was a flat little setup that didn't draw attention but I'm betting it would have taken him 30 seconds or more to bring it into action.

That whole situation was dumb and weird. He turned out to be weird and evil. Kinda glad that part of my life is way far back in the rear view.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    An acquaintance of mine, long before concealed carry was legal in Texas, regularly carried an 1896 Mauser complete with a skeletal metal shoulder stock he had made. He carried the whole thing in a leather bag. It was a flat little setup that didn't draw attention but I'm betting it would have taken him 30 seconds or more to bring it into action.

That whole situation was dumb and weird. He turned out to be weird and evil. Kinda glad that part of my life is way far back in the rear view.
    Eccentric for sure. As far as the evil part goes, I’ll take your word for it.

Reactions: gll

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    I often carry a Colt Combat Commander or a Browning Hi Power. I have a DA Colt model 1917 in .45 acp I'd OC with. Also have a 2nd gen Colt SAA in .45 Colt that I wouldn't feel under gunned if carrying.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1911 then ppk 380 then p35 hi power although one of the three times which I have actually presented in self defense was with a single action revolver

"1911 then ppk 380"

Those are the two I grew-up with (plus a few Colt Revolvers). Today PPK is at bottom of my list. Easy to carry & "modern" for age, but just too many negatives for me.

Top Bottom