• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    My brother got to shoot this at a friends party a few months ago, and I am wondering if it is legal, and what sort of "firearm" it would be classified as. The definition of "firearm" in the Texas Penal Code is...

Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
    (3) "Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include a firearm that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that is:
    (A) an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899; or
    (B) a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899, but only if the replica does not use rim fire or center fire ammunition.

The way the potato gun works is you unscrew the end cap, spray some starter fluid, close the end cap, then use the button ignition to ignite the starter fluid, causing pressure build up to launch the potato. I know there are always rules, exceptions to rules etc...so perhaps there is some other provision that excludes this potato gun, even though it seems to meet the definition of firearm.

The Gun:

pg1_zps1df6fce7.jpg

The Ignition
    pg2_zps6533da7c.jpg

The end cap
    pg3_zps83380a42.jpg

Last edited:

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    IANAL but I think if you were doing out in the country and not hurting anything but the potato, you wouldn't run into any trouble.

But, I also think that based on the above, yes it is illegal and you could get in trouble for having it and using it. If used for nefarious purposes/in the city/ran into a pissed off LEO.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    My brother got to shoot this at a friends party a few months ago, and I am wondering if it is legal, and what sort of "firearm" it would be classified as. The definition of "firearm" in the Texas Penal Code is...

The way the potato gun works is you unscrew the end cap, spray some starter fluid, close the end cap, then use the button ignition to ignite the starter fluid, causing pressure build up to launch the potato. I know there are always rules, exceptions to rules etc...so perhaps there is some other provision that excludes this potato gun, even though it seems to meet the definition of firearm.

The Gun:

pg1_zps1df6fce7.jpg

The Ignition
    pg2_zps6533da7c.jpg

The end cap
    pg3_zps83380a42.jpg

Sorry to answer your question with a question, but legal for what?

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I used to build these. Hell, I convinced my AP physics teacher in high school to let us build them for class and fire them off. We also built a 20 ft trebuchet and hovercrafts though. We jokingly renamed the class to Mythbusters AP.

Top Bottom