• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SevDelta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    I have this old heavily customized rifle in my family and I'm trying to figure out roughly what in the world it is. I've heard people mention a Schutzen rifle before but that it's almost completely customized. The rifle is extremely heavy and has some really neat sights on it. Because it looks to be a .22LR, it has zero recoil and it even looks like the front piece under the barrel allows the rifle to lock into something else for stability. I haven't cleaned this rifle or anything but if anyone has a clue as to what this is, I'd love to know.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Three things:
    1. You might want to head over to the test forum to get your picture posting down a little better.
    2. Please don't clean it.
    3. Where are you? There are some Schuetzen-folk in central Texas who would love to tell you all about the rifle if you showed up at a match: New Braunfels Schuetzen Verein

SevDelta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    I won't clean it because I know that can mess up the value. What would a general value be? I may have to sell this soon to help with my family's bills after my grandfather's passing and I have no idea how to even look up a general value for something like this.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    What markings can you read on the receiver and barrel? It may be more of a smallbore (pre war) Olympic type rifle. The attachment could be for a handstop or a palm rest. But I wouldn't rule out Schuetzen.

While I do agree with not cleaning it, a little oil may not hurt.

It may be a Winchester High Wall that has been modified. Although I think Winchester did offer something like this as a custom. Do a search for .22 caliber Scheutzen rifles and you will see several images of Winchesters (and others) and also a palm rest.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It may be more of a smallbore (pre war) Olympic type rifle. The attachment could be for a handstop or a palm rest. But I wouldn't rule out Schuetzen.
    The fore end hardware shown in the OP as well as the pictures posted by Moonpie make it fairly clear to me that it's for Schuetzen competition.

When the OP gets a price in mind and if he's close enough, I'll be interested.

SevDelta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    I have no idea on a price. What's fair to ask? I'm really outta my league on pricing this one.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I have no idea on a price. What's fair to ask? I'm really outta my league on pricing this one.
    I'll repeat my previous lack of knowledge: where are you? Are you close enough to bring it by one of the Schuetzen meets? You could almost certainly sell it there, quickly, for a price that will be roughly within a fair range. However, most of those guys will already have rifles to use and won't offer you top dollar. You could take that knowledge, add a couple of hundred, and probably arrive at a fair price.

Yes, I know that last paragraph makes me sound like a bit of a sociopath but, frankly, I can't think of another group of folks in Texas you could show it to in person who would have better knowledge on the subject.

Of course, assuming you're willing to take requests for much more detailed photos, you could join up here: ASSRA Forum - Register , look over the forum until you find the right place, and ask the same questions you've asked on this forum. You'll most likely get much better answers, much faster.

Please, though, if they give you an idea of the value, let us know. It's likely I'll make you an offer and I'd be willing to drive quite a distance to close the deal.

SevDelta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    I'll repeat my previous lack of knowledge: where are you? Are you close enough to bring it by one of the Schuetzen meets? You could almost certainly sell it there, quickly, for a price that will be roughly within a fair range. However, most of those guys will already have rifles to use and won't offer you top dollar. You could take that knowledge, add a couple of hundred, and probably arrive at a fair price.

Yes, I know that last paragraph makes me sound like a bit of a sociopath but, frankly, I can't think of another group of folks in Texas you could show it to in person who would have better knowledge on the subject.

Of course, assuming you're willing to take requests for much more detailed photos, you could join up here: ASSRA Forum - Register , look over the forum until you find the right place, and ask the same questions you've asked on this forum. You'll most likely get much better answers, much faster.

Please, though, if they give you an idea of the value, let us know. It's likely I'll make you an offer and I'd be willing to drive quite a distance to close the deal.

Im in San Antonio. If you wanna come take a look at it, lemme know! Otherwise, it's headed to the gun show!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Im in San Antonio. If you wanna come take a look at it, lemme know! Otherwise, it's headed to the gun show!
    Heading to a gun show with something that people know about, like a New Service revolver, is one thing. Heading there with an obviously custom speciality item like this is something else. You'll definitely get lowballs but if you just need some money more quickly than you can afford to do a little research, I suppose that's as good a way to get the job done as any.

ETA - When are you going to the gun show? Which one? I'm travelling this weekend but I could detour to San Antonio on Sunday.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    This is really a cool gun. I think super accurate .22s are neato.
    It's cool but we have no assurance it's accurate. The former owner (see the other thread where SevDelta talks about a New Service revolver) may have been willing to do horribly abusive things to his firearms. Or maybe not; we don't know enough history yet.

Remember that gun auction I reported on a while back? The deceased had more money than God and bought some incredibly wonderful guns...then proceeded to abuse and neglect them into worthlessness.

You just never know. I really, really hope this rifle is as good as it looks. Given the action it's based on, it may not be worth a heck of a lot but all that customization, if well done, would make for a seriously cool wall-hanger, at worst.

Can you tell I like this thing? :)

Coutrytexan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2015
    New Braunfels, TX
    SevDelta,

That is in fact a Schutzen Rifle. It appear to have the open sights we still use today it has a the butthook and the rest bar on it as well. if you would like we are having a shoot Friday May 1st at 7 pm if you would like to bring the rifle there will be some gentlmen at that shoot who will be able to tell you all about that rifle. It appears to be a Ballad rifle I would have to lookcloser at the barrel to figure out if its a peterson or a clause ballad. If you would like to attend our range is right next door to dietz in New Braunfels

Top Bottom