• mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    Ruger Max-9

I had to originally send it back to Ruger for repairs for slide lock issues but they took care of it and it works like a champ now.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I
    Kahr CW9 and soon to be a Kel-Tec PF9 or Taurus Millenium.

I often carry a Taurus Millennium Pro PT-145. 11 rounds .45ACP but same size as a G26.

People complain about Tauruses ("Tauri" ?), but I've never had any problem with them. I especially carry it IWB when bird or squirrel hunting and want a large caliber pistol which won't be in the way.

leVieux

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Nothing special but man do I love this pistol.

If you’re interested in carrying with a red dot, read this.

About 8 years ago, I put a red dot on a 5” M&P CORE. I suuuuuuucked at shooting it, so I sold the dot and the slide. I told myself, once I’m a better all around shooter, I’ll start practicing with red dots on pistols. So I stayed true to that for 7 years and threw a dot on a 4.25 M&P CORE 1.0. Again, I told myself, I’m not carrying with a red dot unless I practice and become proficient with one, and when I do, I’ll treat myself to a 2.0. So last year, when I finally realized that shooting with the dot, was as easy as shooting with the sights, I built this puppy and carry it now.

So for those of you who would like to carry with a dot, I tell you what some folks told me, almost a decade ago; DO NOT carry with a red dot until you’ve become about as proficient with irons as you’re gonna get. Then, STILL DO NOT carry with a red dot, until you’ve become about proficient with a red dot as you are with irons. For me, that took about 8 years.

Did I have the skill to carry with a red dot as early as 4-5 years? Probably, but I didn’t have the confidence, and lack of confidence WILL translate to how well you shoot. It took me a long time to realize that. I hope this helps those of you who are planning to throw a dot on your pistol, for carry.

Anyway…

9D505DC3-B806-4FE8-B94B-A18A5F8F80B0.jpeg

retrieverman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2019
    Texas
    My current concealed carry gun is one I’ve carried on and off for 20 years…a pre lock Smith 637 38 spl. Occasionally, I carry a WC ULCC 9mm.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin

About 8 years ago, I put a red dot on a 5” M&P CORE. I suuuuuuucked at shooting it, so I sold the dot and the slide. I told myself, once I’m a better all around shooter, I’ll start practicing with red dots on pistols. So I stayed true to that for 7 years and threw a dot on a 4.25 M&P CORE 1.0. Again, I told myself, I’m not carrying with a red dot unless I practice and become proficient with one, and when I do, I’ll treat myself to a 2.0. So last year, when I finally realized that shooting with the dot, was as easy as shooting with the sights, I built this puppy and carry it now.

So for those of you who would like to carry with a dot, I tell you what some folks told me, almost a decade ago; DO NOT carry with a red dot until you’ve become about as proficient with irons as you’re gonna get. Then, STILL DO NOT carry with a red dot, until you’ve become about proficient with a red dot as you are with irons. For me, that took about 8 years.

Did I have the skill to carry with a red dot as early as 4-5 years? Probably, but I didn’t have the confidence, and lack of confidence WILL translate to how well you shoot. It took me a long time to realize that. I hope this helps those of you who are planning to throw a dot on your pistol, for carry.

Anyway…

View attachment 299491
    Nice. I still need to mount my red dot on my sig 320. I thought I had lost the mounting plate when we moved. Just found it unpacking. Still have to trim down one of the screws. The damn screws they sent are too long.

long_tall_texan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    DFW

Anyway…

View attachment 299491
    Very nice setup and good advice. I carry the M2.0 4" Compact with Tritium irons and Apex Flatty. Just picked up a P-10 C that had a red dot on it already. Now I'm learning and getting comfortable with dot shooting. Once I get more comfortable with dots in general, I'll add one to my M&P and follow similar training path that you did before carrying with dot.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Nice. I still need to mount my red dot on my sig 320. I thought I had lost the mounting plate when we moved. Just found it unpacking. Still have to trim down one of the screws. The damn screws they sent are too long.

Glad you found em. What a PITA that sounds like to have to look for something that small, in a move. Yea I’ve had to dremel screws down several times.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Very nice setup and good advice. I carry the M2.0 4" Compact with Tritium irons and Apex Flatty. Just picked up a P-10 C that had a red dot on it already. Now I'm learning and getting comfortable with dot shooting. Once I get more comfortable with dots in general, I'll add one to my M&P and follow similar training path that you did before carrying with dot.
    Thanks.

I have the same sights but I don’t like em, so I’m gonna switch to blacked out rears and fiber optic front. As to practicing, THEE best help I got to practice was this…

Amazon product ASIN B004NKY23E
    I still use it too. You can practice for hours without using ammo and it’s practical practice too. I didn’t get one until last year some time, so I was already acclimated to shooting with a dot, but this serves well to stay honed in to being able to do so. Also, every day before I go out the door, I practice with it for about ten minutes.

Oh yea and one reason it’s so awesome is that there’s an app that tracks where the laser hits and it even shows your draw time and splits. I’m sure it will help you a LOT, and faster too as when you can’t go to the range, you can do this.

I’d be interested to know if you get it, and if you like it, so keep me posted.

long_tall_texan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    DFW
    Thanks.

I have the same sights but I don’t like em, so I’m gonna switch to blacked out rears and fiber optic front. As to practicing, THEE best help I got to practice was this…

Amazon product ASIN B004NKY23E
    I still use it too. You can practice for hours without using ammo and it’s practical practice too. I didn’t get one until last year some time, so I was already acclimated to shooting with a dot, but this serves well to stay honed in to being able to do so. Also, every day before I go out the door, I practice with it for about ten minutes.

Oh yea and one reason it’s so awesome is that there’s an app that tracks where the laser hits and it even shows your draw time and splits. I’m sure it will help you a LOT, and faster too as when you can’t go to the range, you can do this.

I’d be interested to know if you get it, and if you like it, so keep me posted.
    I use one of those laser cartridges too. And even without using software, it is helpful. Even though the laser blips for only a few milliseconds, if you are pulling your aim, as the trigger breaks, it is easy to see a laser line vs a laser dot when it shines.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I use one of those laser cartridges too. And even without using software, it is helpful. Even though the laser blips for only a few milliseconds, if you are pulling your aim, as the trigger breaks, it is easy to see a laser line vs a laser dot when it shines.

Ok, so research this for yourself, just so you can form your own conclusion and see it for yourself.

Our brans reaction time and acknowledgment of things we see, is actually delayed. So when you see the dot, you’re seeing where it is a fraction of a second after it actually appears on the wall. It may not be a huge difference, but it’s likely big enough to mislead you on where the shots are.

That’s why I recommend the app. It’s free too. The phone, being that it’s not human, will pick up the dot immediately and show you where you actually shot.

Give it a try and let me know if you found it helpful.

long_tall_texan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    DFW
    Ok, so research this for yourself, just so you can form your own conclusion and see it for yourself.

Our brans reaction time and acknowledgment of things we see, is actually delayed. So when you see the dot, you’re seeing where it is a fraction of a second after it actually appears on the wall. It may not be a huge difference, but it’s likely big enough to mislead you on where the shots are.

That’s why I recommend the app. It’s free too. The phone, being that it’s not human, will pick up the dot immediately and show you where you actually shot.

Give it a try and let me know if you found it helpful.
    Oh I completely agree. I have used several of the apps. Each of them have strengths and weaknesses. I have an inexpensive collapsible tripod/selfie stick to hold my phone for looking at the targets.

I was just commenting that the laser cartridge alone can tell you a lot. Loosening your grip and just firing you can quickly see a swipe of the laser instead of a clean dot with a proper grip.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I can't remember if I answered the OP question before....

But my EDC is a Ruger SR9c with a Hogue wrap on the grip, the 10rd mag inserted, and two 17rd mags on the offside JIC. OWB at 3:30 - 4.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Oh I completely agree. I have used several of the apps. Each of them have strengths and weaknesses. I have an inexpensive collapsible tripod/selfie stick to hold my phone for looking at the targets.

I was just commenting that the laser cartridge alone can tell you a lot. Loosening your grip and just firing you can quickly see a swipe of the laser instead of a clean dot with a proper grip.

HAHA yea I use a cheap tripod too

Top Bottom