• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LeadChucker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2019
    Dallas TX
    How often do you do basic wipe down maintenance vs. full tear-down cleaning for an IWB carry? What about the ammo? I know ammo lasts for decades when properly stored, but what about daily carry ammo? Over time the ammo goes from new penny shinny to look what I found in the couch. I've tested my EDC ammo to insure proper function, but want to know if I should go ahead and use my expensive self defense ammo at the range and replace it on any type of regular basis.

Thanks in advance!
    Lynx Defense

Tactical Panda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    I like to shoot my carry ammo at least once a year and start over with a fresh box. back when I carried a .357 sig I would also rotate the top round once a month due to the rounds’ tendency to have bullet setback after multiple re-chambering.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I'll field strip my EDC about once a month. Wipe it down and relube it. Maybe blow it out with canned air. As far as the ammo, I use nickle cased Federal HST. The cases stay shiny and clean, but sometimes the bullet itself starts looking a little dull. Easily brought to brand new looking with some Flitz paste and 0000 steel wool. Not really necessary tho.

I rotate the chambered round to the bottom of the magazine and carry on. Maybe every 2 years shoot up the full mag and reload with fresh ammo from my stock.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    When I change my edc it gets fired and cleaned before carry. As the gun is unloaded, reloaded the rounds get rotated in the magazine and infrequently replaced. Other guns in safes are routinely wiped down.

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I rotate through my pistols as I hit the firing range. So they never go too long without cleaning.

As far as ammo, the tarnish is not going to hurt anything.

As someone pointed out, rotating the top round out to prevent setback is a good idea.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I don't shoot the shit out of it. I know where it hits I know it works and thats all I need.
    I shoot it once twice a year and that's when it gets cleaned. It's a tool how often does one maintain a tool. That's my routine.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yup it’s a tool and if it constantly needs cleaning it’s a tool I don’t have a use for. I admit I’ll rotate my rounds but the handguns I get stay loaded for a good while and only get cleaned, lightly, if their covered in grass or dirt and that’s if I feel like it. Otherwise it goes from me to the truck, on top the fridge, outside owb on the riding mower, it’s a tool. Guns didn’t come with oil pumps. Most respectable brands just need a little bit once a month or maybe not at all. Just use the glock method. Smear some anti seize on and call it a year.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I've shot 10+ year old JHP Speer Gold Dot's with zero failure.

EDC pistol (or any other firearm) - Clean/Lube after I shoot it.

If not shooting on a regular basis, (like June through September as it's too damn hot) I clean when the spirit moves me...

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    My carry gun rides in my front pocket so, it get a lot of pocket lint buildup. Once a week I'll remove the slide, blow out the lower and and slide. Oil the rails and guide rod, reassemble and wipe off the outside. I do remove the ammo and place the chambered round in the bottom of the magazine. About once a month I'll run a few magazines through it and it goes back in my pocket until next time.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    I too clean after every range trip (at least once a month).
    And I too use up the defensive ammo after a year and load up with a fresh batch, which I test first, though.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom