Patriot Mobile

What is your favorite knife sharpening device?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    What's a wet stone - does it require water on it?

I use a Arkansas whetstone (will use it again if ever I can find it since I moved), a Lansky kit and one of those little yellow plastic Smith brand sharpeners with the inserts shaped like a V (comes in quite handy when camping or fishing or hunting or even in the kitchen in a pinch).
    There are wet stoned that use water & those that use oil. The oil is a special food grade mineral oil.

Nagorg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Learn to use a wet stone, it is not hard.

I've used Arkansas Whetstones for years. I agree that its not hard but it does take some practice as well as a fair amount of time for a dull knife. Touching up a sharp knife is another story...

I've got a lot of kitchen knives that have been neglected. Cant wait to try out the Work Sharp on these.

I was actually looking for some bigger whetstones when I came across this post.

Last edited:

Nagorg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    I finally got to use my Work Sharp. I'll say that it takes a little getting used to but seems to work really well. I was able to sharpen my very dull kitchen knives in a fraction of the time it would have taken on my whetstone.
    I'm not sure I'll use it exclusively; I *feel* like I can touch up an edge pretty quickly on my stone. Time will tell if this remains true or not.

I do have to give this Work Sharp KO edition a nod. Its a tool that delivers on what its supposed to do. Produces a great edge in minimal time. I'm sure that with more practice I'll like it even more.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The biggest downside is the speed in which it removes material. If you're not conscious of what you're doing, you can ruin a knife just as well as sharpen it. It's been an absolute game changer for me for my daily-abused pocket knife though. I chip the edge regularly because I genuinely abuse it without a second thought. Being a Benchmade I don't even feel bad about it ;)

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    And your thoughts now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I guess I was doing it wrong with the stones. I thought I was good at and was satisfied with the results, but I get a sharper, longer lasting edge with the Work Sharp. Especially with the large kitchen knives, I see a big difference.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    I know what you mean about stones. I use them the way my dad taught me. Dustin on the other hand has developed his own style and can put a new razor edge on a ruined blade in about 30 min. Watched him do it and it was nothing like my style of using stones.

Impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom