Guns International

What is your favorite knife sharpening device?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I used a set of Lanskys for years and they work well, but I can get as good an edge with the worksharp in the time it takes to get the Lanskys out of their box.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    The Ken Onion is a bit out of my price range, but there is a $70 Worksharp on Amazon I could swing.

There's plenty of generics out there now. I haven't paid attention to pricing, but Northern tool had one of their own when I was in there. Uses the same belts as the worksharp. Looks the same too.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    This thread has amazingly turned into a great reference.

Agreed!

The Ken Onion is a bit out of my price range, but there is a $70 Worksharp on Amazon I could swing.

^I was able to find much better pricing on Experticity for the KO (and the blade grinder attachment).

Can't share actual pricing (prohibited), but will say that if you are able to qualify under one of their programs and can provide documentation/proof, it's well worth the small amount of time/effort involved.

Last edited:

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    I’ve got whet stones, ceramic crock sticks, chef steel, carbide pull through and other miscellaneous sharpeners.

My favorite, is my Work Sharp. It’s easy to use, and does a great job. I can change belts in a few seconds.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau
    Ironic. I got a letter today that had a Thoreau stamp on it. Hadn't thought about him for some time.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels

I bought my KO WorkSharp at a "Home Show" civic center event about 5 years ago for $60. Didn't realize they'd gone up so much. I do love mine, but I'd guess the others are fine as well. I like the easy to change guide.

black_ice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2017
    I just buy new ones. I recently gave away 100 knives to a guys kid off another forum I post on. I realized I had way too many and I only rotate about 10 throughout the year so I gave away half of my collection.

When I do sharpen them I use a spyderco sharp maker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    There's plenty of generics out there now. I haven't paid attention to pricing, but Northern tool had one of their own when I was in there. Uses the same belts as the worksharp. Looks the same too.
    Northern Tool, don't they get their tools from the same place as Harbor Freight?

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Hmmm... I guess what I say doesn't matter, because Moonpie has me on ignore anyway, but ...

Pure and simple, some good info here, but, at the end of the day, what works. I have to agree with the ceramic sticks, but, a steel or leather strop do the same thing.

I also agree that if a knife won't shave hair, it isn't sharp.

But, I want to take this in a slightly different direction, but it's pertinent to the subject. Working on a job where there were some carpenters working that needed to mortise some door jams. One of them happened to ask me: "What do you do with these cheap chisels when they get dull, besides throw them away?" I couldn't believe it, but said "sharpen them". Took his chisel and took the belt sander to it, followed up by some 120 grit sandpaper and in 5 minutes, he had a brand new chisel.

I only mention this, because it applies to so many things with an edge. First, a sharp blade means two edges that meet at a certain angle. First and foremost is the integrity of the edges. The back should be flat, and the area where the front meets it should be level, in other words, not pitted or chipped.

Re- enter the belt sander or file. With a file, it's an angle, the belt sander, 90°. Then you polish the edge.

Carpenters get anal about their chisels, and some folks do about knives, but, at the end of the day, they are tools, and only need to be sharp enough to get the job done, and the best sharpener is the one that allows you to get that done quickly.

I like the little AccuSharp hand held sharpeners that you turn the knife upside down and run it over the edge. Gives a perfectly usuable edge on a knife in good shape in 30 seconds.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    At the house it’s an Arkansas stone.

At work I roll the window down about halfway on the truck and the top edge of the glass does a fine job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rexster314

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    I used a set of Lanskys for years and they work well, but I can get as good an edge with the worksharp in the time it takes to get the Lanskys out of their box.

Same here. Pain in the rear to set up so you better do all the knives in the house while you're at it. The stones have been in their case for better part of 10 years or more since I got a Worksharp. When I do our knives, I pull all the scissors out as well and give them a touchup too

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Bit on the spendy side, but very easy to use for most any type knife:
    710-5VrEvWL._SL1500_.jpg

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I have one of those Chef's Choice units too, but it only gets used for quick touch-ups on the kitchen knives. When I have to actually sharpen, the Work Sharp is so much better and faster. I have the whole Lansky stone kit too, but that gets used ... uhh ... never.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I have one of the lanskey diamond grit sharpeners. The one to where the sharpener part stores in the handle. I've had it for years. It's wore out. The diamond grit panels are now dull.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I would like to see a Worksharp in action.
    Need to be shown how to use one.
    Knowing the Moonpie he would grind a $300 knife off to a nub. LoL

Ha! I bought some $5 knives just for that purpose. I bought an electric sharpener last year, and have yet to figure it out. It has two slots for each side that allegedly keep the knife at the correct angle. BS. I'm getting better, but I;ve done better before. I used to be really good with a stone. But that is a skill that you must hone regularly (pardon the pun).

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Have a couple of those El Cheap-O double sided steels.
    Use them on the cheap knives.
    It works okay.
    I keep a couple of them stashed in the car and the desk at work. If they walk off no biggie.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom