Join TexasGunTalk

What is your favorite knife sharpening device?

Discussion in 'Knives, Tactical Gear, and Survival' started by Moonpie, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Brains

Brains TGT Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    You probably ordered it from someone using SmartPost or whatever, and they don't want to get dinged for delivering it a day late - despite the fact they're going to deliver it a day late. Happens here more often than not.

2. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I hope that's the case. Besides that the post office was closed yesterday, so they couldn't have delivered it.

3. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Cruise Control

Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Here's a neat video related to using sanding paper.

It's not about the guy polishing the stainless. It's the stuff he uses. Look in the description and he has links.

One product he uses,

https://www.amazon.com/MISTIC-METAL...0dafccf535d3ef9c8cf97cfd026ad2&language=en_US

It can be adapted to sharpening a knife using a sanding belt or a sand paper on a board being used as a Wetstone.

4. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I have an Old Timer, Schrade. Model 152 "Sharp Finger". I can't seem to sharpen it. Years ago, I found the knife on a roof at a place I was staying at. Still in the sheath. Sun roasted and rusty.

I have used a stone. A dull diamond grit, sandpaper, file, ceramic rod, and a strop. This knife refuses to take a sharp edge. It will get to where it feels sharp checking with a finger. Then when you test it on paper, cloth, leather. It's dull as phuck.

What the hell is up with this knife???

5. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Thanks for reminding me that I also have a Sharp Finger (somewhere). If I can find it, I'll try to sharpen it & report back. IIRC, last I tried, it sharpened ok. I probably used ceramic rods

grasshopperglock likes this.
  6. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I just used some wet dry 180 grit. Taking my time. Following the edge. Then a ceramic rod.

Feels sharp but isn't. This is at least the 10th time. I've sat down with this knife and tried to put an edge on it. Nope, won't take it. By my hands.

7. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Oh, I did finally get it. I found it on the neighbors front porch, two houses down from me. Noticed the box as I was driving by and decided to check it out. It had been sitting there for a couple of days and the lady hadn't been home. Fortunately I got to it before all the rain started.

toddnjoyce, ZX9RCAM and karlac like this.
  8. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

Now you know why it got left where you found it.

9. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I was thinking that. I figured some kids left it on roof playing army or something. Then I wondered why they were allowed to wander off with it to leave it.

Yep.

The knife is crap.

10. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

You should try to re-temper it.
    Use a propane torch and gently heat up the edge of the blade to a very low red. (Hint: Do this in a darkened room)
    Quench in oil.