Hurley's Gold

What is your favorite knife sharpening device?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol.

I really didn’t expect it to do much for the machete and was being pretty careless.

The dummy that works for me flipped the Old Timer shut while still gripping around the handle.

I shall make no comment on the remaining victim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Bevel-vs-convex-1024x374.jpg

The above illustration is of paramount importance.

The sharpening guy at SAXET that sold me on the system was fixated on the "burr".
    With a little experience I get it.
    It is the one key concept as you re-contour to a convex grind.

If you do not get the the delicate art of seeing and creating the burr you have wasted money and are not doing your edges justice.

Once you get the burr concept mastered it is magical.

Attachments

• Bevel-vs-convex-1024x374.jpg
      Bevel-vs-convex-1024x374.jpg
      44.2 KB · Views: 941

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    QN-OKC3S.jpg

OK just because I can....

I have an Ontario OKC3S Combat USMC.

It's a factory course 40 or 45 degree flat grind so that it can be used too chop firewood and pry crates open.

I just sharpened it to about 30 degrees (15x2) and a little hair-free spot on my thigh attests to it's razor-sharp edge.
    Took off a LOT of steel off that thick shank to get to the "burr" but i did it.
    A big knife that sharp is just sort of scary!!!

Attachments

• QN-OKC3S.jpg
      QN-OKC3S.jpg
      32.2 KB · Views: 535

johnbeaver

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Livingston
    Did not see it mentioned, but has anyone tried the Tormek Machine?
    Looks like you could get great edges on tools and knives. Kinda pricey.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have a Work Sharp Ken Onion and a Wicked edge sharpener. As well as a variety of stones. Also make my own strops.
    Any angle or type of edge needs to get a burr. And then remove it to be sharp. The strop does not sharpen so much as polish the edge so it cuts better.

I have been cut more than once from a polished 90°metal surface. To a point, it is just generally easier to get a sharp edge on thinner materials with a sharper angle. Too thin and too sharp an angle and the edge tends not to last as long.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Yes, the Tormek is pricey but it does put great edges on cutting tools. I bought mine to sharpen woodworking tools such as chisels, hand plane blades and wood turning tools. But it works good with knives too if you have the knife jig.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I used my Ken Onion this morning to reshape and sharpen my badly chipped pocket knife, and it reiterated something - I hate sharpening knives. I need to build a sharpening robot.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I used my Ken Onion ...reiterated something - I hate sharpening knives.

I had a very different experience.
    I find sharpening knives to be liberating, relaxing and somehow therapeutic.

Weekend before last, 10 days ago, I went with my wife to visit her sister's family south of Fort Worth. She and the brother-in-law have 3 daughters.

I figured I'd be bored beyond belief, subjected for three days to the 5 girl's chatter.

I had my Ken Onion Workshop and Blade Grinder attachment and 2 sets of belts in a tote in the back of our SUV.
    I pulled it out and sharpened everything we could think to sharpen.
    Brother-in-law called neighbors and buddies and we sharpened innumerable knives.
    I think we sharpened knives for half of his church.

Made friends. Drank "thank-you" beer.

Classic male-bonding experience.

HKS

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Last edited:

Nagorg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Just ordered my Work Sharp KO Edition based on the glowing reviews in this thread and other forums.
    I've used Arkansas Whetstone for years and I can get an edge this way for sure. But, the comments about this sharpener make me super excited to see the results for a much sharper knife in a fraction of the time and effort!

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts on it after you’ve used it some.

rexster314

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    Just ordered my Work Sharp KO Edition based on the glowing reviews in this thread and other forums.
    I've used Arkansas Whetstone for years and I can get an edge this way for sure. But, the comments about this sharpener make me super excited to see the results for a much sharper knife in a fraction of the time and effort!

Do yourself a favor and get the K/O Worksharp attachment with the 1" belts. Hardly any chance of rounding the tips of knives off, and it won't leave surface scratches on your knives. I think I've taken mine off just a couple of times since I got it for Christmas last year (2018) when I dressed up some scissors

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Do yourself a favor and get the K/O Worksharp attachment with the 1" belts. Hardly any chance of rounding the tips of knives off, and it won't leave surface scratches on your knives. I think I've taken mine off just a couple of times since I got it for Christmas last year (2018) when I dressed up some scissors

Fully agree.
    Great investment in quality.
    Belts last incredibly long.
    https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-W...t=&hvlocphy=9028073&hvtargid=pla-382660758649

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Learn to use a wet stone, it is not hard.
    What's a wet stone - does it require water on it?

I use a Arkansas whetstone (will use it again if ever I can find it since I moved), a Lansky kit and one of those little yellow plastic Smith brand sharpeners with the inserts shaped like a V (comes in quite handy when camping or fishing or hunting or even in the kitchen in a pinch).

Top Bottom