Join TexasGunTalk

What is your favorite knife sharpening device?

Discussion in 'Knives, Tactical Gear, and Survival' started by Moonpie, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Moonpie

Moonpie DILLIGAF Lifetime Member

There are five belts in the kit.
    extra coarse
    coarse
    medium
    fine
    extra fine

Put the fine on the machine and hit a couple of knives. It worked ok I guess.
    The grind angle may need adjusting.

2. Younggun

Younggun Ginger Avenger TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    One you get a burr on both sides you can move to the fine belt. The burr let’s you know the edges have “merged” to a single edge. Even burr down the length of the blade means cutting is complete, time to buff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozz10mm likes this.
  3. Younggun

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Guy on YouTube named “Doug” something or the other had great vids on the WS sharpeners that give great details on what to do and what not to do for all kinds of knives and tools.

4. Younggun

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    25* for work knives, 17-20* for kitchen knives.

Work a medium belt 5 strokes right then 5 strokes left side. Check for burr. If it doesn’t have an even burr down the length do 5 more per side.

Once you have an even burr the length of the blade go to a fine belt and alternate sides with each stroke to about 5 strokes per side. This should take off the burr and buff a razor edge.

Make sure if the knife has a thicker blade you are using the vertical side of the blade on the guide and not the bevel that thins the blade down to the actually cutting edge bevel. Stop with the tip on the belt. Release the switch as the tip moves on to the belt and either raise the blade away or let the belt stop. Otherwise you will round the tip off. And don’t drop the knife on a moving belt. Lay the knife in the guide, then hit the momentary switch and start dragging the blade back at the same time keeping the cutting edge perpendicular to the belts direction of travel.

Once you get the hang of it you will know it.

5. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Thanks, I'll try that. I still have 5 or 6 knives in the drawer that won't hold an edge. They seem to get dull just sitting there. I'm hoping the WS will change that.

6. Younggun

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not one of his better quality vids but the info is there.

He’s got a lot of them, most with better sound.

7. Younggun

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I was able to get an edge on some really cheap Walmart knives and even a dollar store steak knife my wife picked up for carving pumpkins.

Don’t have much faith in them holding the edge long with use though, lol.

8. karlac

karlac Gone fishin' ... TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    Best technique so far for me is moving my hand back on the handle, and just letting the knife's weight put pressure on the belt, and slowly lifting the hand until the tip of the knife blade is on the belt at the end of the stroke.

I might put a finger on the outside of the blade to keep it lightly against the Angle guide with the KO, still exerting no downward pressure on the blade with my hand.

IME, a light touch works best.

9. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    You can look up different angles for whatever knife you are sharpening. Most all pocket knives I've owned are usually between 15-20 degrees.

10. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Several grits of sandpaper ("Scary Sharp Method") works really well. The paper is laid on a very flat surface (usually my band saw table) and oiled, progressing from 400 grit to 1200 or finer.

For touch up on every day knives, I use ceramic rods.

For my best knives, Japanese water stones and a lot of patience.