What is your preferred grip method?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by SIG_Fiend, Mar 13, 2008.

1. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    As the title says, how do you prefer to grip your handguns when shooting in a conventional two-handed stance? As always, pictures are great and more than welcome if you would like to post some of your preferred method. To get the ball rolling, here is mine:

10.png

This method is what some call the thumbs forward approach. I apologize for the poor quality of the picture. Basically all this grip consists of is taking the support hand and canting it forward so that your support thumb is inline and parallel to the barrel. As far as the rest of my preferred upper body stance goes, it is somewhere between a "modified" Weaver as some call it and the Isosceles. Basically I stand with a very slight bend at the knees, very slight forward lean towards the target, arms pretty much equally extended and centered on my torso with the sights brought up to eye level (I try to keep from leaning down to the sights). Also, I generally try to keep my head centered with no cant to the side. I'm still an amateur when it comes to handguns, and since I am cross dominant (right hand / left eye dominant) it has taken a lot of trial and error trying to find something that works consistently. Here's a good video that explains this technique a bit: Link

2. LHB1

LHB1 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    My grip is very similar to that except that the left hand sits farther back. The right thumb is lower and the left thumb rides on top of the right thumb. The left thumb actuates the safety with semi-autos and cocks the hammer with SA or DA revolvers for single action shooting. Thus one grip serves for both types without having to change back and forth.

3. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Mine appears to be like or very near yours.

4. charlie-6

charlie-6 Member

Mar 6, 2008
    central texas
    Mine is about the same, with r thumb lower of slide.

5. SIG_Fiend

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Here's another excellent video from Todd Jarrett and Downrange TV about gripping pistols:

Link

Man that guy can shoot!

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    [​IMG]

Represent proppa' like.

7. SIG_Fiend

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

Just remember, I still shoot tighter groups than you! Ha! ;)

8. idleprocess

idleprocess Active Member

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I'm just waiting for Glock to release official side-mounted sights :rofl:

9. idleprocess

idleprocess Active Member

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    In reality, I try to do the following. Not sure if it's what the experts recommend, but it works for me.
    • I grasp the grip naturally with my right hand
    • Layer my left hand over the right hand
    • Left thumb goes into the thumb indention in the left side
    • Right thumb rests on left thumb, typically near the slide release
    • I apply some pressure to the backstrap with the right hand and push the right hand fingers into the front of the grip with the left hand
    • Fingers on the right hand do not grasp the grip overly hard
    • The web of my right hand is usually crowding the beavertail (or whatever approximates it) on the grip
    I do not doubt that there could be room for improvement here, but it for me it beats teacupping, shooting one-handed, etc.

10. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    Texas 1911.Thats how the guys in my platoon shot.Oh and don't forget the rolling driveby stance.