Texas SOT

What is your preferred self defense caliber and ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Another .45 230gn Golden Sabre.

Tried to get some Ranger's (new name for Black Talon, without the black coating) but missed. Seem to be hard to find.
    Hurley's Gold

Wulfmann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Has anyone doe any test on Golden Saber???

My gunsmith, ex special ops, ex CIA claims it is no more effective than 230 ball.

I have 100 count box of Saber but have yet to use any, sort of back up.

His point is that 45ACP does not travel at high enough velocity to expand or at least enough to matter.

Thing is, all the other calibers hope to expand to the size of, you guessed it, 45ACP!!!!

Well, a 230gr sure to load and fire ball round is already expanded by virtue of its 45 caliber size.

Wulfmann

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Has anyone doe any test on Golden Saber???

My gunsmith, ex special ops, ex CIA claims it is no more effective than 230 ball.

I have 100 count box of Saber but have yet to use any, sort of back up.

His point is that 45ACP does not travel at high enough velocity to expand or at least enough to matter.

Thing is, all the other calibers hope to expand to the size of, you guessed it, 45ACP!!!!

Well, a 230gr sure to load and fire ball round is already expanded by virtue of its 45 caliber size.

Wulfmann

Sounds like one of those "9mm only" type of guys (same as the 45acp only guys). I like both calibers.

Here's a few links to a few tests of different weight Golden Sabers:

Link
    Link
    Link
    Link

Bottom line, any bullet, especially one that regularly seems to expand to ~.70"+ is going to ruin pretty much anyone's day! With several good center of mass shots on an attacker (judging by what I have read and studied, so take it with a grain of salt), it doesn't seem to matter a whole lot what exact grain bullet you are using, what caliber (okay well .22lr would of course be noticeably less effective ;)), etc etc. Shot placement is ultimately most important. Golden Saber, judging by those tests in the links above, appears to expand well enough. A few of the shots through several layers of denim seemed to show not quite as much expansion, and accordingly much deeper penetration however for the most part they seem to work well enough. If you want the best for self defense, Corbon PowRBall and DPX are about as good as it gets as far as I'm concerned, though as always take it with a grain of salt. ;)

HighVelocity

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    DFW, TX
    45acp 230gr Winchester Ranger RA45T
    10mm DoubleTap 180gr Gold Dot
    357 Mag Speer 125gr Gold Dot
    38spl Speer 135gr Gold Dot for short barrels
    9mm Speer 124gr +P Gold Dot
    32acp Hornady XTP
    12ga Winchester Ranger 00 buck
    5.56 Hornady 75gr TAP

comanche

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Austin
    In my bottom feeder; the magazines are loaded with alternating rounds of 45auto +P
    Hornady 230gr TAP (JHP) and 230gr JRN. just in case I need more penetration than the hollow point gives. The revolver is loaded with Sierra 300gr JFP over 23grs. of H110 in 45colt. In case the bad guy is hiding behind an elephant.

stockFD3S

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Leon Valley, TX
    7.62x25 JHP.

WLF-762-JHP-3.jpg

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    just because he's ex military/cia or whatever, that doesnt automatically give him credibility.

i carry winchester rangers JHP 115gr +p+, travels at a little over 1300fps.. i get told a lot of stuff about how people like the heavier bullet blah blah 147gr yada yada.

and i think to myself, "yada yada" lol. lol. j/k.

j.r.flaco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Austin
    45 ACP: Taurus Hex 185 gr. copper HP. 9MM: Speer 124 gr. GDHP. 38 SPL: Speer 125 gr. +P GDHP & Win. Q4266 147 gr. JHP +P

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    Carry/Home Defense

My carry piece is a SA M1911A1 national match. I carry a handload in it(5.4/IMR-PB/225TC), since this is also my competition piece, and the handload is my competition load. It's slightly less emphatic than the .230FMJ factory stuff, so I don't think that anyone can claim that I'm using "HOT LOADS" to inflict unusual pain and suffering on my adversary.
    I KNOW about the caveat concerning handloads in a defensive pistol. So far, the personal damages creeps haven't gone there in Texas. If it starts happening, I could prolly switch to the 230grain FMJ ball and not lose much.

My home gun is a Rossi M1892 carbine in .45 Colt. It's loaded with factory loads, if not a handload approximating factory loads.

The "VehicleGun" is an L1-A1, loaded with Remington 150 grain "Core Lokt" projectiles, anlternating with Portuguese ball (147fmj?), plus 4 spare magazines. SKS and AK rifles are prevalent amongst the "bangers" where I live. I want something that'll punch through their vehicle end to end, if necessary.

I don't really have a "social shotgun". Guess I should think about it.

HMFIC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Tx
    G21...230gr Speer GD
    G22/G27/Sig 229....155gr Speer GD
    G19.....124gr...you guessed it...SPeer GD

Top Bottom