Gun Zone Deals

What is your preferred self defense caliber and ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    As the title says, what defensive caliber and ammo do you prefer? For a carry gun, home defense, out and about on your property, etc. Over the past year I've tried out quite a few different types such as Hydrashocks, Gold Dots, Black Hills, etc. I usually keep my P220 45acp loaded with Corbon PowRBall 165gr. The rounds are rated at, 1225fps (out of a 5" barrel, so a bit less with my 4.4"), and 550ft/lbs as advertised by Corbon. I really like these rounds. The round nose design, thanks to the polymer ball cap, really seems to aid in feeding. In some of the 9mm guns I have or have had the PowRBalls seemed to cure any feeding issues I've had in other brand open nose JHP's.

For 9mm I've really taken a liking to Corbon's conventional JHP design in addition to the PowRBalls. The 90gr is rated at 1500fps (4" barrel I believe), and 450ft/lbs. Though the only 9mm I have at the moment won't feed any JHP's (haven't tried the PowRBalls on it yet though).
    Gun Zone Deals

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Here are some pics of the respective ammo I mentioned above:

Corbon Pow R Ball 165gr 45acp

tn_100_0961.png

tn_100_0962.png

Corbon 9mm 90gr

tn_100_0963.png

tn_100_0964.png

One nice little feature that is very obvious in both of these calibers is that Corbon does a good job at providing a pretty substantial extra crimp to prevent bullet setback.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    .45 ACP, 230 gr, HP. Currently carrying Win brand but almost any major brand in this configuration will do the job.

Good shooting and be safe.
    LB

Kaptain Kolache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    In .45acp right now its 230gr Winchester Ranger Talons. I'm also fond of the 230gr+P Federal Tactical(bonded).

In 9mm its strictly 147gr Winchester Ranger talons.

I care not for energy values as they, atleast in pistol rounds, dont translate to much in the human body.

Wulfmann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Through the front door? 8MM Mauser full up 196gr 2500FPS.

In the house, 20GA; anything, don't matter.

Preferred Pistol 45ACP, like a hammer, anything will do it unlike most other calibers where it makes a huge difference.

I keep a Star BM 9MM in the car. I would not have this or any 9MM if I did not have some of that Hirtenberger 100gr FP anti-terrorist ammo that came in one time 1995 and BC quickly stopped it.
    I did a series of test comparing it to a bunch of other 9MM defensive rounds and frankly compare they did not to this stuff.
    +P+, coming out at 1550FPS, it went through an entire heater crate (6 layers) expanding to 50 cal after the first layer. Made Black Talon 147gr look weak
    Guess you can see the car gun point on this besides you know how hard it is to get a gun back even after a righteous shoot.

Wulfmann

Top Bottom