• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2015
    I'm looking to expand my library, and was interested to learn more about what kind of shooting drills people do out there. If you have one that sticks out to you, that you think I could benefit from, let me know. Much appreciated.
    Capitol Armory ad

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    You might specify what general type of shooting that you do. What I practice for long range will not be beneficial to a ipsc shooter.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    When I competed in "Combat Shooting" the drill was double tapping multiple targets from a holster draw. I could do that pretty well and still retain some of that skill.

I've fired the same SD pistols for 50+ years and just don't get into drills any more. There are some newer tools on board but once I practice with them, I just carry the tool, pray that I never need to use it, or need to hurt anyone, and go on with a normal life.

Flash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2015
    Dot torture drill looks pretty interesting. I like the draw,and double tap drill on multiple targets from holster too. I just ordered a couple more steel targets, and once they get in, i'll be able to do more multi-target drills. Now, time to print out some dots.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Dot torture drill looks pretty interesting. I like the draw,and double tap drill on multiple targets from holster too. I just ordered a couple more steel targets, and once they get in, i'll be able to do more multi-target drills. Now, time to print out some dots.
    I use stick on dots from the office supply stores. You can get a package relatively cheap in various colors.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2015
    I use stick on dots from the office supply stores. You can get a package relatively cheap in various colors.

That's a brilliant idea. I could easily get some of the material used for campaign signs too. That stuff lasts forever. Cheap, and effective. Two of the best things to incorporate into shooting (which isn't necessarily cheap to begin with anyomore).

StevenC.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    San Antonio
    Sorry to hijack, but I rarely do drills. When I do, I video them and post the results to youtube.

Drills are useful tools for measuring improvement or comparing skills. But, I suspect they aren't all that useful for improvement.

Instead, I practice.

My practices run from 200 - 700 rounds depending on a host of variables with the most important being time available and my performance remaining acceptable.

Through those 200 - 700 rounds I run several different mini-stages which will include draws from the holster, loaded off table, unloaded off table, a reload, movement, heavy transitions, and likely 10 - 16 shots. I will include varied distances and difficulty.

I like to keep most of the practice at 10 yards and further. I like increasing difficulty with no-shoot targets, overlapping targets and hardcover.

I will run the occasional Dill Drill or a El Presidente in a practice. Sometimes I set up a single 8" stationary steel plate and run draws to it starting at 15 yrds and increase distance every 5 shots or so. Those would be the closest thing to drills I do.

When a Bianch plate rack was available I would use it a lot or an array of poppers at 20 - 40 yards.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Drills -- I hate that word. Drill for Oil?

But I get the point.

You "train" repetitively for whatever scenario you think you will have to perform at a very high level.

For self-defense, it would be wise to hire a coach. Then go to the range and do what the coach tells you to do until you can do it without thinking.

For long distance shooting with a rifle, it would be advisable to enlist a spotter.

For casual plinking on tin cans or clay targets, the cans or clays will give you plenty of feedback.

Go from there.

Be well.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rgomez5329
    Top Bottom