• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    Just wondering ya'lls opinion on lubricants and or gun grease for a pistol. I have a Kimber pro carry II and the lub. that comes with it is shooters choice FP-10. Was looking to get some but know very little about lubricants or grease for guns. I've used CLP and Mil tech and they seem to be ok but just wanted to know if there was any superior lub or greases? Any opinions are appreciated.
    Texas SOT

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i mainly use 3-in-1 oil.
    good for all kinds fo stuff and always have it on hand.
    and super cheap too!

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I use Mobil 1 and Royal Purple. For grease I've used heavy marine bearing grease and Hoppe's grease.

At the range we've used Hoppe's oil, RemOil, FP10, M Pro 7, Mobil 1, and a number of other oils. The FP10, Mobil 1, and M Pro 7 seem to be on the better end as far as lubricity and longevity is concerned. Mobil 1 is the best oil for an AR15, hands down.

As long as you got something in there, you'll more than likely be just fine. There really isn't a perfect oil, otherwise there wouldn't be 50 different companies making it.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Everyone's got their favorites. I like Slide Glide or Rig +P. I've used TW25B, and it's a good light grease, but it seems like it's a bit runny, and does not stay in place as well as the heavier greases. I'm one that thinks that for range and carry, you lubricate differently. Range, I load it up. Carry, just a tad. And of course different guns like different levels of lubrication. Glocks, not so much. Sigs, a lot for range and 1911's a lot during break in then more for range and less for carry.

Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    Militec-1!... used to use FP-10 and Mobil 1 but the Militec stuff is just clean, smooth and it literally absorbs into the metal.

I was turned onto this stuff by a friend in Iraq who says it just blows others away and its the best he's come across... although probably overkill than what any of us would see, He (and his fellow soldiers) trust their lives to it.

They are also VERY supportive of our troops and IMO they earned my respect and $$$ for being stand up people who also produce a fantastic product.

JOe

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Depends on what I'm lubing. Grease and oil have different applications. You don't oil the rails on a pistol, you grease them, but you don't want to try putting grease into the trigger mechanism on a revolver... drizzling oil in works better and is a lot easier since you don't have to disassemble the gun for maintenance (which will eventually cause problems).

Mobil 1 is the best oil for an AR15, hands down.

Grease works better than oil on an AR-15, hands-down. Wheel bearing grease or moly brake grease are far better than oil.

One of the guys I know who was showed how to grease the bolt and carrier on his AR went home and tried it, then took his kids shooting. One of them said "wow, this gun is awesome when it works all the time like this!"

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    icon1.gif
    What Lubricant is best?

KY Jelly. Oh....my bad.....wrong forum!

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Grease works better than oil on an AR-15, hands-down. Wheel bearing grease or moly brake grease are far better than oil.

We use wheel bearing grease (marine grade) on our M1s, but we stick to Mobil 1 on the AR15 for one reason; it emulsifies the carbon. Grease won't do that, but I am willing to try and see how it works.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    InnocentBystander has a few ARs he has lubed like that (including his LR-308). You don't have to reapply very often and they just work.

I hate to give the guy credit, but James Yeager has a great youtube video showing how to do it right.

mmay1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I clean with FP-10 and just leave a light coat after wipe down, plus a little Tetra grease on the pistol slide rails.

Texas Bulldog, thanks for your service. :patriot: If you have some time to waste on the internet, read the mutual flames directed at one another by the founders of Militec and FirePower-10. Both are patriots, both are convinced of the superiority of their own products and have developed an intense and personal dislike for one another. I have used both products and both meet my needs, although FP-10 is a bit easier to find in places I shop.

Top Bottom