What Lubricant is best?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Byaah_19, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Byaah_19

Byaah_19 Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    Just wondering ya'lls opinion on lubricants and or gun grease for a pistol. I have a Kimber pro carry II and the lub. that comes with it is shooters choice FP-10. Was looking to get some but know very little about lubricants or grease for guns. I've used CLP and Mil tech and they seem to be ok but just wanted to know if there was any superior lub or greases? Any opinions are appreciated.

2. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Self Appointed Board Chauvinist TGT Supporter

May 12, 2009
    i mainly use 3-in-1 oil.
    good for all kinds fo stuff and always have it on hand.
    and super cheap too!

3. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I use Mobil 1 and Royal Purple. For grease I've used heavy marine bearing grease and Hoppe's grease.

At the range we've used Hoppe's oil, RemOil, FP10, M Pro 7, Mobil 1, and a number of other oils. The FP10, Mobil 1, and M Pro 7 seem to be on the better end as far as lubricity and longevity is concerned. Mobil 1 is the best oil for an AR15, hands down.

As long as you got something in there, you'll more than likely be just fine. There really isn't a perfect oil, otherwise there wouldn't be 50 different companies making it.

4. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Everyone's got their favorites. I like Slide Glide or Rig +P. I've used TW25B, and it's a good light grease, but it seems like it's a bit runny, and does not stay in place as well as the heavier greases. I'm one that thinks that for range and carry, you lubricate differently. Range, I load it up. Carry, just a tad. And of course different guns like different levels of lubrication. Glocks, not so much. Sigs, a lot for range and 1911's a lot during break in then more for range and less for carry.

5. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    MPro 7 for me for 90% of all lubrication. If I am breaking in a 1911, I tend to throw a little shooters choice grease in there.

6. Texas Bulldog

Texas Bulldog Active Member

Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    Militec-1!... used to use FP-10 and Mobil 1 but the Militec stuff is just clean, smooth and it literally absorbs into the metal.

I was turned onto this stuff by a friend in Iraq who says it just blows others away and its the best he's come across... although probably overkill than what any of us would see, He (and his fellow soldiers) trust their lives to it.

They are also VERY supportive of our troops and IMO they earned my respect and $$$ for being stand up people who also produce a fantastic product.

JOe

7. Castrolr1

Castrolr1 Member

Dec 20, 2008
    all my 1911s get mobil 1 and grease for the rails

8. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Depends on what I'm lubing. Grease and oil have different applications. You don't oil the rails on a pistol, you grease them, but you don't want to try putting grease into the trigger mechanism on a revolver... drizzling oil in works better and is a lot easier since you don't have to disassemble the gun for maintenance (which will eventually cause problems).

Grease works better than oil on an AR-15, hands-down. Wheel bearing grease or moly brake grease are far better than oil.

One of the guys I know who was showed how to grease the bolt and carrier on his AR went home and tried it, then took his kids shooting. One of them said "wow, this gun is awesome when it works all the time like this!"

9. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    [​IMG] What Lubricant is best?

KY Jelly. Oh....my bad.....wrong forum!

10. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Self Appointed Board Chauvinist TGT Supporter

May 12, 2009
    HAH!
    and here i was using mayonaisse!