• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    By your criteria it's even more imperative to educate yourself isn't it? I don't think you're giving the program or instructors enough credit. Are you for abolishing the program or do you have a fix for your perceived deficiencies?

The only criteria that exists for the LTC class is included in SB60 which is what requires the DPS director to establish minimum standards for a two-part class that provides instruction (as was referenced) in handgun safety and requires the student to demonstrate proficiency and safety with the handgun. I don't know how you teach yours, but the LTC class I went to had applicants shoot up front. Kind of negates the whole reason for 'instruction in handgun safety' requirement in SB60.

---ETA---
    Legislation doesn't speak in terms of learning, but the word demonstrates is used multiple times in SB60. To give you an idea of what demonstrates mean in the context of learning, it means a student selects, transfers, and uses data and principles to complete a problem or task with a minimum of direction. A behavioral example would be the student will write an instructional objective for each level of Bloom's taxonomy.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As it stands, I would abolish the program entirely, as I would TPC 30.06, 30.07 and the 51% rule.

My fix for the deficiencies is to abolish the program entirely and move to constitutional carry. As it stands, LTC denials in Texas are minuscule; the carve outs in Texas statues don't align with SB60, and even if one was denied an LTC, it requires 'good faith' that the applicant won't carry anyways.

Last edited:

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    The only criteria that exists for the LTC class is included in SB60 which is what requires the DPS director to establish minimum standards for a two-part class that provides instruction (as was referenced) in handgun safety and requires the student to demonstrate proficiency and safety with the handgun. I don't know how you teach yours, but the LTC class I went to had applicants shoot up front. Kind of negates the whole reason for 'instruction in handgun safety' requirement in SB60.

As it stands, I would abolish the program entirely, as I would TPC 30.06, 30.07 and the 51% rule.

My fix for the deficiencies is to abolish the program entirely and move to constitutional carry. As it stands, LTC denials in Texas are minuscule; the carve outs in Texas statues don't align with SB60, and even if one was denied an LTC, it requires 'good faith' that the applicant won't carry anyways.

I don't have my students shoot up front. I do cover weapon safety/ range commands and marksmanship fundamentals before students qualify.

I'm 100% for constitutional carry. That said, some sort of LTC program needs to be left in place for reciprocity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'm 100% for constitutional carry. That said, some sort of LTC program needs to be left in place for reciprocity.

I can understand from that standpoint, but it should be optional to get an LTC; not required to carry in the state.

If I had my druthers, firearms safety and education would be a graduation requirement in K-12 and homeschool education programs.

Kingarthur777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2018
    Livingston
    I don't have my students shoot up front. I do cover weapon safety/ range commands and marksmanship fundamentals before students qualify.

I am meaner than you. When I first got my little kids crickets, I made them memorize every part of that weapon, what up range, down range, and cease fire meant. I had them dry firing before I took them to the range. That evolved in the Smith and Wesson AR-22's, AR-15's, handguns. You have to crawl before you can walk, you have to walk before you can run. I took the time with every member of the family to start from the basics and move forward.

I find patience is a better teacher. Though, I had to admit range safety is a pet peave of mine. I accidentally, went D.I. on my daughter, channeling the former D.I.'s that ran our lives in the USBP Academy. "G-dammit! Point that muzzle down range!" I didn't mean to be that harsh. But, after hearing that being bellowed at trainees from D.I.'s that ran the range of L.R. Ermey's vintage, it got channeled. Other than that outburst about safety, they all obey the rules. I don't let them both shoot at the same time, which leads to boredom for one. I tell the waiting one, to practice loading magazines. I wish I had more range time for me. But, I spend most of my time being R.O. for the family unit.

I wish there was a range where I could use the blue 50 gallon barrels to teach cover/concealment/downed and disabled. I only like to square off on the target only if I have no choice, I prefer to blade, as that makes me a smaller target to hit.

There are range rules, there is accuracy, and there is combat shooting. Combat shooting at ranges is lacking. It is always square off on your target and be accurate. Great for target practice, bad for learning what to do in a gunfight. After all, isn't the point of a CCL to be able to have the ability to defend yourself or others from death/great bodily harm? Squaring off on a target like that, works great, if you are wearing body armor.

Spouting law and intimidation, may work in an Academy setting, but in the real world, with real people, you have to know where they are coming from and work with that. They aren't cadets/trainees/whatever. These are people from all walks of life. Everyone is different, and needs to be coached differently. One method doesn't fit all. I have offered to teach people to shoot on my time, with their firearm of choice that they are comfortable with, because I want there to be educated shooters.

This used to be a quality our nation was good with. You could go to any hardware store and buy a firearm, no questions asked. Liberalism, killed that. Now, you have a whole crop of people who were never taught, and lack of knowledge breeds fear.

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    When I took the LTC class we qualified on the range first then took the classroom part. However, when the instructor was briefing us on what was unfolding, he informed the class that this was not a training/safety coarse and if you could not walk onto the range and safely load and discharge a firearm that he would refund your money and come back when you can. Three people were disqualified on the spot and another was later asked to leave the shooting area because he was unable to load and fire his weapon. After the shooting portion was over we spent a full 6 hours in the classroom. Not sure if that is SOP but it was with this instructor.

Top Bottom