Patriot Mobile

What part of "shall not be infringed" do these lawmakers not understand?????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    The anti-gun / gun control crowd don't care anything about the constitution. The left leaning crowd all believe it's too old school anyway.
    Really!? ...funny... They all sure sing a different goddamned tune when you start talking about their freedom of the press that they've been abusing the dogshit out of for YEARS now!
    It's amazing how some of our countrymen interpret the term "Freedom" sometimes. Hypocritical bastards!

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

The 10th enumerates the ability of the states to govern themselves independently of the Federal government in all matters not delegated to the Federal government, to which gun control is not, but the clause "nor prohibited by it to the States" concurs with the statement "shall not be infringed" in the 2nd amendment. This in my opinion makes any state level gun control laws unconstitutional since they do not hold the power to do so, as enumerated by the Constitution.

While there is something to be gained by realistic gun control, I fear there is far more lost by the common American, and in the spirit of the Constitution.

Then again, the Supreme Court has held far too much power and influence on how the Constitution is enforced in this country. With 4 or 5 individual opinions the rights of millions are transgressed or upheld. This is not in the spirit of the founding.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

The 10th enumerates the ability of the states to govern themselves independently of the Federal government in all matters not delegated to the Federal government, to which gun control is not, but the clause "nor prohibited by it to the States" concurs with the statement "shall not be infringed" in the 2nd amendment. This in my opinion makes any state level gun control laws unconstitutional since they do not hold the power to do so, as enumerated by the Constitution.

While there is something to be gained by realistic gun control, I fear there is far more lost by the common American, and in the spirit of the Constitution.

Then again, the Supreme Court has held far too much power and influence on how the Constitution is enforced in this country. With 4 or 5 individual opinions the rights of millions are transgressed or upheld. This is not in the spirit of the founding.
    Not to hijack the thread, but what you said does call to mind the recent decision by them to allow the Westboro Baptist Church to continue to do what they've been doing at military funerals.
    While I'm very aware of the slippery slope presented here - and I do NOT have a viable solution - there has to be some kind of understanding that upholding their rights to act like complete jackasses is in turn violating the rights of other common (often humbled and grieving) people who deserve better.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    While I'm very aware of the slippery slope presented here - and I do NOT have a viable solution - there has to be some kind of understanding that upholding their rights to act like complete jackasses is in turn violating the rights of other common (often humbled and grieving) people who deserve better.

The Constitution prohibits the government (and state governments) from prohibiting via law the exercise of free speech. The Constitution does not grant the same protection to grieving families at a funeral because it is not prohibited by law to enact a funeral. The Supreme Court made the correct decision in upholding their right to protest the funerals. While it would be a moral victory, it would be at too far of a cost.

However, the Constitution outlines what the Government can and cannot do, but it does not limit what us, the People, can and cannot do. There is nothing that states we can block off the funeral physically from the Westboro Baptist Church, there is nothing that says we cannot encircle and/or physically displace the same people. There is nothing that prohibits us from showing up every day to protest the death of one of their members, and the establishment of their church. There are groups like the Freedom Riders that try to limit the ability of the Westboro people from doing so, and I applaud them.

Personally, if it were my family member in the box, and those bastards showed up ... I'd be facing a LONG jail sentence. It's amazing they haven't been magically found in a shallow mass grave already, although I wouldn't even shed a tear ... probably get a good laugh in because I'm a fond believer in people get what they have coming.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    The Constitution prohibits the government (and state governments) from prohibiting via law the exercise of free speech. The Constitution does not grant the same protection to grieving families at a funeral because it is not prohibited by law to enact a funeral. The Supreme Court made the correct decision in upholding their right to protest the funerals. While it would be a moral victory, it would be at too far of a cost.
    Yeah - I know! Like I said - I totally see them following the letter of the law here (shame they don't do that with our gun rights).
    It's just a shitty situation, no matter how you go at it.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    well there are already "zones" where free speech is not allowed.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Yeah - I know! Like I said - I totally see them following the letter of the law here (shame they don't do that with our gun rights). It's just a shitty situation, no matter how you go at it.

I think the reluctance is due to a mindset of "we can do better!" and general naive optimism. While I've seen the Brady NICS check actually save a life, or more, I can't help but realize that it doesn't really do as much as it's advocates trust it to do. Any person can sell another individual a firearm so long as they are not known to be a prohibited person via the GCA of 68. You could have no doubts this person is a an ex-con but he very well could be ... meaning it's not hard for prohibited persons to obtain a firearm. They might not get it at the gun show, or at a store, but ultimately it's not hard. So why put the vast majority of us through a dog and pony show? It's simple mind over matter. If we look like we are doing something for the good, then we must be doing good, right?

The same with carry laws ... we go through another costly dog and pony show to obtain a permit to carry a gun, but wait ... it must be concealed and it cannot be at these places listed. If you trust me to carry a gun behind you in Walmart, then why do you not trust me to carry it openly? What about carrying it behind you in the voting line, or at a courthouse, at a bar (while not drinking)? It's another mind over matter.

I think people are wising up to the realities of our culture and society, at least in a few states. We've gained two SCOTUS decisions in our favor, and that's empowered us across the board. I think we are all uneasy about what may get handed down, but I think we've got alot to gain.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    ^ i dont knwo the specifics of the situations you mentioned, boss, but don't ya think if somone is going to go buy a guy to kill themselves or somone esle, and cant get approved -- they will just jump of a bridge or grab a steak knife and wack their husbands wang off, or go down to Rundberg / I35 and pick up a highpoint from a independant gun dealer / ghetto pharmacist?

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    my point is if you are determined to kill somone, you will find a way. but i do like the moral of your post. just chippin' in in standard wolfwood fashion.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    ^ i dont knwo the specifics of the situations you mentioned, boss, but don't ya think if somone is going to go buy a guy to kill themselves or somone esle, and cant get approved -- they will just jump of a bridge or grab a steak knife and wack their husbands wang off, or go down to Rundberg / I35 and pick up a highpoint from a independant gun dealer / ghetto pharmacist?

Actually, you'd be surprised.

I had a guy come in, looked normal, asked some various questions about AKs and decided to buy one, a few minutes later he decides he also wants a Glock 21; the customer claimed he wanted to go hog hunting on his property. Ran the paperwork, guy got delayed, guy leaves. About 5 minutes later we get a frantic call from the guy's wife stating that he sent her a text message that he bought an AK and was going to kill her (evidently right as he left the store) and that the guy is bipolar and hasn't been taking his medication. Police come by, get the info, and go looking for the buyer and run into him at his house. A short stand-off later the guy is arrested and is in custody.

So ... yes, the NICS check potentially saved the lives of him and his wife, and/or children and police that day, and stopped someone. It did what it was intended to do. However, I'm not naive enough to expound this one success as a meaningful reason to enact further gun control, and or say that the NICS system is a gross success ... because anyone that is determined to obtain a gun, drugs, etc. is going to do it and do it with relative ease.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    +1

i got delayed once. boy was i nervous...

cnat think of any reason other than i had bought atleast 1 guna month from dealers for the previous 3 or 4 months. i got it, though it was PITA to wait a week. but i digress...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom