ARJ Defense ad

What plants/trees to plant to attract dove and deer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggie_12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Sinton, TX
    Hello, I recently bought 10 acres out in the country after I graduated college. In south texas, slightly north of corpus. I'm slowly trying to get things setup and since trees take a while to grow, I'd like to get them planted soon.

The front of the property is fairly open to the road and the north side is pretty uncovered between the neighbors new house. I would like to plant something for some privacy when I build my barn/home. Right now I have an RV out there that is 35-40 yards away from the foundation of my barn so in between the 2, I will make my "yard". I would like to carpet grass this area and have horseshoe pits and washers setup.

Ok, back to the question. I thought about planting oleanders across the front and side of the property but I read they are toxic to humans and animals so that is not something I'm interested in planting out there. It is also toxic when it is burned and they grow fast so that won't work.
    What are some other tall shrubs, fast growing trees that would be a good idea to plant around some of the border on my property for some privacy and something that dove are attracted to or like? I have a few hogs that come on the property every once and a while but I will take care if them soon. They aren't messing anything up now..

I would like to plant some fruit trees, I was thinking about tangerine, key limes, oranges and I just planted a peach. I will put those towards the front, away from where the hogs come. I would like to plant some pecan trees in the back brush area to act as a natural feeder for animals that come on the property. I do put corn out occasionally. I was thinking about putting a pecan tree near the pond as well so they can fall in the pond as fish food when I get some catfish and some rain so the pond fills up..then I will look into running a line from my water well to the pond. It had a lot of water after a big rain and took about 3 months to get to the next picture. Might have to get me some drilling mud for the pond.

I haven't seen any deer on the camera yet but I would like to attract some to the property, I will work on removing the hogs. I did see 4 coyotes the other night on the camera for the first time.

What grass seed would be good to scatter on the land to have some more ground cover and attract some dove to the land?

Sorry for the long post, just trying to lay everything out there so I can get some good advice from people who have done this before. Thanks!
    ubyju4yg.jpg
    ga9anure.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Get on the internet and look up your local county extension agent. Go visit with him/her about what you're wanting to do. They are a wonderful source of free knowledge and information about all things regarding your 10 acres. Also ask about getting on the mailing list for the Texas forestry service and similar things for a deal on trees. They usually have annual sales for trees that are well adapted to your area. I've bought some Live Oaks that looked more like toothpicks from them that are now about 15' tall. The only one that didn't live is the one my wife ran over with the lawn mower.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    If you're going to live on the land, or do anything with it besides hunt dove or sell seeds, you might want to reconsider sunflowers. 10 acres of sunflowers won't have any deer on it. Cattle won't even mess with the field unless they're absolutely starving.

Top Bottom