• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheProphet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    What position do you guys carry in? Just got my LTC and trying to figure out what works best for me. Appendix is out since I'm pretty fluffy and also don't fancy having a gun that close to the boys. Carrying small of the back (5:30/6) is most comfortable but when I sit down my shirt rides up and exposes the weapon. Tried carrying at around 3:30 last night and it was pretty uncomfortable but concealed better. What do you guys do that works for you? My Concealed is an M&P Shield in a Tagua holster.
    Capitol Armory ad

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I CC at 6 o'clock (using a lefthand holster so the grip points to the right) and OC at 2-3 o'clock simply as it is the most comfortable and accessible place to do so.

As for accidental exposure, it wasn't even an issue before OC was allowed in 2016.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I think if you’re not used to carrying almost any position is going to initially feel uncomfortable or unnatural to you (with the possible exception of carrying a mouse gun in your pocket).

I’d recommend ya get yourself a good gun belt and just experiment with positions. You’ll be able to narrow it down pretty quickly as to what may work and what won’t. After all, there’s not really that much choice as long as you’re not considering shoulder holsters, ankle holsters or drop leg holsters.

I usually carry in the 3 to 4 o’clock position (kinda depending on belt loop positions). And with enough time and practice, it got to be a pretty natural feel.

TheProphet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    Any suggestions for a good gun belt? Right now I'm just using the leather belt I've always used. Doesn't seem sturdy enough.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I think if you’re not used to carrying almost any position is going to initially feel uncomfortable or unnatural to you (with the possible exception of carrying a mouse gun in your pocket).

I’d recommend ya get yourself a good gun belt and just experiment with positions. You’ll be able to narrow it down pretty quickly as to what may work and what won’t. After all, there’s not really that much choice as long as you’re not considering shoulder holsters, ankle holsters or drop leg holsters.

I usually carry in the 3 to 4 o’clock position (kinda depending on belt loop positions). And with enough time and practice, it got to be a pretty natural feel.
    All of the above!

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Also what Charlie said about buying shirts with longer shirt tails is a good idea!

Search the forum for gun belts - there’s been lots of discussions on that topic. Generally, they’ll take two forms; the better ones are either thick because of two thicker leather layers sown together or they’re thinner with some kind of thin stiffener layer (either a polymer or metal) sown in between.

The ones I shy away from are the very thick single layer thickness belts. My experience has been they start off well but loose their stiffness with wear (especially if they get wet - as in caught in a rain storm - they just never recover). IMHO; YMMV

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    You just have to find what works for you. 3:00 OWB works well for me.

As far as belts Bigfoot makes an excellent steel reinforced belt. You are wise to get a good belt, that is as important as a good holster.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Yeah, I kinda got fixated on leather belts for some reason. I do have some web belts as Charlie mentioned. As long as they’re stiff enough, they’ll work fine. Obviously a little more “tactical” looking than a typical leather belt.

For whatever reason, I’ve tended to kinda “standardize” on the 1.5 inch belt width. It’s probably one of the popular widths which most holsters will commonly fit.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Yeah, I kinda got fixated on leather belts for some reason. I do have some web belts as Charlie mentioned. As long as they’re stiff enough, they’ll work fine. Obviously a little more “tactical” looking than a typical leather belt.

For whatever reason, I’ve tended to kinda “standardize” on the 1.5 inch belt width. It’s probably one of the popular widths which most holsters will commonly fit.

These?

acux_091_us_army_universal_acu_54_inch_desert_brown_nylon_belt_1024x1024.jpg

You can cinch the hell out of it and they have some that are fairly stiff. Some stiff enough to annoy you. $8-$15

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    These?

View attachment 140863
    You can cinch the hell out of it and they have some that are fairly stiff. Some stiff enough to annoy you. $8-$15

A good gun belt doesn’t need to be cinched tight against the waist, but it does need to be stiff to support the extra 2+ lbs being supported by it.

If your saying the buckle cinches tight against the belt, then you are correct for certain belts with that style buckle.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Everyone is different, I wore mine in many different positions before figuring out what works best for me. I prefer OWB at 2-3 o'clock, but if I do wear IWB I wear it appendix most times. With a jacket I may not wear on the belt at all.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    You can pull it tight enough to where it grabs the sidearm in an open top style holster. So if your doing a lot of physical activity like chasing after cattle trying to load a trailer. Climbing fences to get out the way of some. Stumbling around rocks while fishing. Stuff like that. It's a nice option to have.

Leather is the most comfortable. The ACU belts do break in and they'll hold 2# running. Some belts come less stiff in a soft range. Some belts feel like hard plastic. You can buy them cushioned if you want. Different buckles. Like two types. Feel free to hang a knife on it too.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I'm a skinny guy & appendix a Sig 938 in a IWB DeSantis Soft tuck. I also have a Alien Gear IWB to be carried at 6-7 oclock but it is uncomfortable to me, especially with me not having any insulation to help pad it.

For a belt i use a BIGFOOT with the steel liner.
    http://gunbelts.com/

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    In Texas I rarely wear a jacket... 50 degrees is shorts weather to me. So OWB is pretty much out- YMMV.

I'm not really "fluffy", but have a little belly (6'3", 230#)..I have tried a number of different positions, and prefer appendix... it tucks in real nice right next to the belly, and blends in- very easy to get to in all positions, too. You just have to get used to the holster pointing at "da boys"... it ain't going to go off by itself if you have a good holster. I have also switched to "deep carry" when I absolutely didn't want to print... (thunderwear).

I've talked to people that wouldn't carry a round in the chamber because it was pointed at their junk... I advise to carry without a round in the chamber at first- but at the end of every day take the mag out, check the chamber indicator (twice) then point your pistol in a safe direction and pull the trigger. if it still clicks, you could have safely had a round in the chamber all day. After a week or two you realize it's unfounded fear. I've been carrying virtually every day for 7 years without a single ND.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What position do you guys carry in? Just got my LTC and trying to figure out what works best for me. Appendix is out since I'm pretty fluffy and also don't fancy having a gun that close to the boys. Carrying small of the back (5:30/6) is most comfortable but when I sit down my shirt rides up and exposes the weapon. Tried carrying at around 3:30 last night and it was pretty uncomfortable but concealed better. What do you guys do that works for you? My Concealed is an M&P Shield in a Tagua holster.

We all learned to "dress around the gun". We all have big boxes of unsatisfactory holsters somewhere. And, safes filed with guns which are too large, or didn't work out.

Urban areas have different requirements, depending on venue and activity.

For wilderness, I want large caliber outside WB, or in a shoulder rig.

You'll learn, don't rush it.

leVieux

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I generally carry IWB. I'd like to carry at about 4:30, but I've got too much waist and not enough butt, so it's guaranteed to pull my damn pants down. So I carry at 3:00 and the gun disappears quite nicely, whether I'm carrying subcompact, compact, or full size...although I can't carry anything that way with a barrel longer than about 4" or it jabs into my hip joint when I sit.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom