ARJ Defense ad

What powder does the military use in 5.56 ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GrumpyOldTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Brenham, Texas
    Does anyone know what powder the military uses in its 5.56 ammo? I reload my own and have tried several kinds of powder and can only manage about 2800 fps out of my 16" long 1 in 8 twist barrel. I'm trying to get as close to 3000fps with a 60 Gr. Hornady bullet as i can and still be safe.
    The reason I'm asking this is I've shot some 55 Gr. military bullets over my chronograph and they travel at an average of 3030 fps. I've pulled a few bullets from them and it looks like Win. ball powder, possibly 748. I don't have the funds to do a lot of experimenting. Any input will be appreciated.
    Ty,
    GOT
    Gun Zone Deals

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I was under the impression that it's a proprietary powder of some sort. It also suppresses muzzle flash.

You are loading to 5.56 NATO specs and not .223 spec, right?

GrumpyOldTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Brenham, Texas
    Thank you all for the replies and thanks Bullseye Shooter for the link. Judging from the chart there My mil. rounds are loaded with wc844 as they contain 28 Gr. of powder. I typed wc844 in a search and found a couple of places i might find it if it's still available, although a thread posted on that search said the supply had dried up.
    On the same thread it was said that H335 had identical characteristics. I'll try H335 and if it doesn't work I'll put my trusty pliers to work pulling bullets and steal powder from some of my mil. rounds seeing i have a couple thousand rounds. BTW country boy AA2230 is the best powder I've tried so far. Hogdon Varget is a close second but it fills the case to capacity and i ruin my thin walled VMAX bullets with the seat die.
    Thanks again y'all. I'll let you know if i have any success.
    GOT
    IT DOESNT MATTER HOW FAST YOU ARE IF YOU CAN'T HIT THE SPOT

Top Bottom