What round for feral hogs?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by ml1209, Nov 29, 2009.

1. ml1209

ml1209 Active Member

Jan 14, 2009
    http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/Hunting-feral-hogs-encouraged-in-Texas-town-78097772.html
    Hunting feral hogs encouraged in Texas town
    Hunting feral hogs may not be as popular as hunting deer or ducks during the holiday season, but with an estimated three million wild hogs in the state, the sport is helping to control the nuisance.
    There’s no mistaking the damage done by feral hogs. Only one hog probably was responsible for a lot of rooting at Marshall Creek near Grapevine Lake.
    Neighboring homeowners in Southlake have spent thousands of dollars repairing the wild hog damage in their front yards.
    “The wild hogs are using the lake to travel,” said Matt Falkner, a park ranger with the Army Corps of Engineers. “They’ll get on a creek bed, and they’ll follow that creek bed plum to downtown Dallas if they could find a path to go.”
    That’s one reason the Corps allows hog hunting on their property. The Grapevine Lake Wildlife Management Area is 2,500 hundred acres of free range.
    “We basically allow people to hunt them year round on our property,” Falkner said. “And there’s no bag limit.”
    The program is only a year old, but there are already plans to expand.
    “Feral hogs, we’re going come up with some creative ways to probably open that up a little bit more to folks in the future,” Falkner said. “Possibly some trapping, permitting. We’d like to do some youth hunts.”
    But in the short term, park rangers are preparing for the weekend holiday hunting rush.
    “We’re right down the road from two million people, and it’s a quick hunt,” Falkner said. “You can get a quick hunt Thursday morning before Thanksgiving.”
    So hunt as many hogs as you want.

2. smittyb

smittyb Active Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    .357 or .44 handguns or carbines work great. Any big bore revolver pretty much. Even the trusty ol 12 ga with slugs.

3. Hondo

Hondo Active Member

Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    if you have a deer rifle then you have a good hog rifle. I have used in the past .243, 7.62x39, 6.5x55, 44 mag, 45-70, 30-30, .280, .308 and 30-06.

Basically I just pulled one out of the safe and hunted with it just for fun. Dang I wish my Wise County connection hadn't fallen through, hog hunting was year around fun .

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I would recommend something above your usual varmint calibers ... start at 100 grains. Hogs are pretty tough and hearty creatures, moreso than deer.

You can take them with the smaller stuff, just the larger calibers give more advantage if the shot placement is less than optimal.

5. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Be sure to check into their regulations alot of public stuff is shotgun slug only.

6. T3hk1w1

T3hk1w1 New Member

Jun 27, 2008
    From a blind, anything 223 or larger if you are close enough for an ear shot. Otherwise, the larger deer rounds will work just fine. I'm partial to large-bore lever actions, but they are not really necessary.

7. Hawghauler

Hawghauler Active Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    You guys are cold. These are my people.

8. Freedom1911

Freedom1911 Active Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    Agreed. Would not try anything less than a 357 hollow point.
    If you dont have 12guage slugs I would think that some double or single ought buck well placed would do the job as well.

9. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    My vote goes to the "use what you use on deer" side of things.

10. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I echo the deer rifle for hogs.

I need to look into this hog hunting at the lake.