• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ml1209

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    [url]http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/Hunting-feral-hogs-encouraged-in-Texas-town-78097772.html[/URL]
    Hunting feral hogs encouraged in Texas town
    Hunting feral hogs may not be as popular as hunting deer or ducks during the holiday season, but with an estimated three million wild hogs in the state, the sport is helping to control the nuisance.
    There’s no mistaking the damage done by feral hogs. Only one hog probably was responsible for a lot of rooting at Marshall Creek near Grapevine Lake.
    Neighboring homeowners in Southlake have spent thousands of dollars repairing the wild hog damage in their front yards.
    “The wild hogs are using the lake to travel,” said Matt Falkner, a park ranger with the Army Corps of Engineers. “They’ll get on a creek bed, and they’ll follow that creek bed plum to downtown Dallas if they could find a path to go.”
    That’s one reason the Corps allows hog hunting on their property. The Grapevine Lake Wildlife Management Area is 2,500 hundred acres of free range.
    “We basically allow people to hunt them year round on our property,” Falkner said. “And there’s no bag limit.”
    The program is only a year old, but there are already plans to expand.
    “Feral hogs, we’re going come up with some creative ways to probably open that up a little bit more to folks in the future,” Falkner said. “Possibly some trapping, permitting. We’d like to do some youth hunts.”
    But in the short term, park rangers are preparing for the weekend holiday hunting rush.
    “We’re right down the road from two million people, and it’s a quick hunt,” Falkner said. “You can get a quick hunt Thursday morning before Thanksgiving.”
    So hunt as many hogs as you want.
    Capitol Armory ad

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    if you have a deer rifle then you have a good hog rifle. I have used in the past .243, 7.62x39, 6.5x55, 44 mag, 45-70, 30-30, .280, .308 and 30-06.

Basically I just pulled one out of the safe and hunted with it just for fun. Dang I wish my Wise County connection hadn't fallen through, hog hunting was year around fun .

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I would recommend something above your usual varmint calibers ... start at 100 grains. Hogs are pretty tough and hearty creatures, moreso than deer.

You can take them with the smaller stuff, just the larger calibers give more advantage if the shot placement is less than optimal.

T3hk1w1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    From a blind, anything 223 or larger if you are close enough for an ear shot. Otherwise, the larger deer rounds will work just fine. I'm partial to large-bore lever actions, but they are not really necessary.

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    .357 or .44 handguns or carbines work great. Any big bore revolver pretty much. Even the trusty ol 12 ga with slugs.

Agreed. Would not try anything less than a 357 hollow point.
    If you dont have 12guage slugs I would think that some double or single ought buck well placed would do the job as well.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    yea my dad carry's a .223 55 grain jsp's he's used it out 250 on hogs but shot placement is critical. My personal favorite from a blind is a .22-250 an ear shot will stop them in their tracks.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Will a .223 with 65 grain HP's work? I would prefer to shoot my DPMS or Ruger. Very accurate.

If you can place the round in the boiler room or the eye / ear hole then you are good. Shoulder shooting a pig with a .223 is iffy at best, that should be relegated to bullets exceeding 100 grains, like a .25-06, .243, .270, etc.

gerritm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    seabrook, tx
    If you can place the round in the boiler room or the eye / ear hole then you are good. Shoulder shooting a pig with a .223 is iffy at best, that should be relegated to bullets exceeding 100 grains, like a .25-06, .243, .270, etc.

I am a pretty good shot, but I don't think I would use the .223 on any larger hogs. Just the smaller, good eating ones.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    15754_102343689789298_100000410035363_60584_5543400_n.jpg

.30 caliber is a definite go. Brained this one with a 168 grain A-Max a few days ago.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I've been using my .308 - 150gr SSTs for head and neck shots. The guy I hunt with that runs the preoperty, he uses either .270 or .204. He prefers his .204 and do a head shot which gives him more meat. Since he processes and donates the meat, he trys to get as much as he can...

If you shoot for the shoulder, need to make sure you have a bullet that penetrates deep and stays together. The best DRTs I've had and seen were the neck and head shots.

Top Bottom