• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amy Lynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    To make a long story short, or maybe just longish because I tend to ramble, boyfriend is living on his GI Bill, and thus has a pretty much zero budget as far as firearms are concerned. He still enjoys them, and really I feel better knowing he has them. I want to buy him something. I don't know what. I like to shoot things, but never bothered to learn much and just us what is handed to me, so help me figure this out please!?

He's a Kalashnikov fan and likes something that's super durable, accurate, reliable, and kind of a jack of all trades for the time being, as in long range/short range/home defense/be a badass all around do everything rifle. We both want him to have a nice big safe filled with goodies in the future when he's done with school and has a little more free cash, but the budget is a really real thing right now.

Also worth noting that it seems that everyone he knows has an AR-15 besides him. I don't really know if this is an argument for or against one, as he can always get his hands on one if needed, but at the same time, having the ability to swap and share with various items, such as magazines, may come in handy at some point. Then again maybe I'm just that clueless. I'm not really sure.

So what should I get him????

And remember, I did say BOYFRIEND, as in momma don't got no ring! :D Let's keep this in the affordable range for now if ya don't mind <3

TL;DR - What should I purchase for my awesome guy to make his wildest dreams come true?
    Target Sports

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    AR, 1st choice.
    SKS 2nd choice.

These work well and ammo is plentiful.

I don't much care for the AK variants.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Thanks for your response! Do you mind if I asked for a little more details on this?

Knowledge is power!
    I shoot long guns left handed.
    Ar15 and SKS work very well for me.
    The AK47 stuff leaves a bruise on my cheek.
    They just don't fit me.

Highly subjective response, I know.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    How about a fun shooter-like a Ruger 10/22? Ruger makes joined twin 25-rounder mags and it's a lot of fun.
    How about a Ruger Ranch rifle in .223 or 7.62x39. High quality shooters with reasonable prices.

Amy Lynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    How about a fun shooter-like a Ruger 10/22? Ruger makes joined twin 25-rounder mags and it's a lot of fun.
    How about a Ruger Ranch rifle in .223 or 7.62x39. High quality shooters with reasonable prices.
    Interesting thought. Not sure on his thoughts on Rugers to be honest...

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I shoot long guns left handed.
    Ar15 and SKS work very well for me.
    The AK47 stuff leaves a bruise on my cheek.
    They just don't fit me.

Highly subjective response, I know.
    Yes, yes and no in total agreement -albeit from the right side. Amy Lynn - the best rifles going out there are AR-15's, and if he turns up his nose at a decent one - move on. A Smith & Wesson Sport II, a Ruger AR-556 <$500. Since you're in Dallas - go look up grabagun.com

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2017
    DFW Area
    looking for something with a little more...uh....firepower.

Lingerie with machine guns in the cups?

Short of Austin Powers clothing, an SKS would be a good choice if your fella likes 7.62 x 39 AKs. It will use the same ammo, it will be fairly cheap, and lots of after market options. A VZ 58 is a possibility too.

Otherwise an AR would be a great choice as well. If he prefers the AK-74 type of AK's this would be the better option. If he does not have one and you get him one, you will be the queen of his world. Especially considering entry level AR's can be had pretty cheap these days.

Other then that a good 22 LR rifle would be the most affordable but also the most fun option.

Amy Lynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    Lingerie with machine guns in the cups?
    now this I would like to play with...
    Short of Austin Powers clothing, an SKS would be a good choice if your fella likes 7.62 x 39 AKs. It will use the same ammo, it will be fairly cheap, and lots of after market options.
    Viable option. I like this suggestion...
    Otherwise an AR would be a great choice as well. If he prefers the AK-74 type of AK's this would be the better option. If he does not have one and you get him one, you will be the queen of his world. Especially considering entry level AR's can be had pretty cheap these days.
    Looking like this may be the winner though..

Amy Lynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, yes and no in total agreement -albeit from the right side. Amy Lynn - the best rifles going out there are AR-15's, and if he turns up his nose at a decent one - move on. A Smith & Wesson Sport II, a Ruger AR-556 <$500. Since you're in Dallas - go look up grabagun.com
    I'll have to look more at grab a gun I'm sure. We were just in there picking up magazines on Tuesday. Total missed opportunity I know :/

Top Bottom