Capitol Armory ad

What skills do you have that make you valuable post-shtf?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Distinguished Weapons Expert (probably just Expert now), firearms instructor, Advanced Glock Armorer, sign cutting/tracking (as in hunting men afoot in the great outdoors), investigatory and interrogation skills, high speed pursuit driving, surveillance, expert liar when it suits my professional or personal purposes but have never lied under oath (honestly:rolleyes:), drive a stick shift, hunting/fishing, gardener, can follow most well written instructions (in English), herper :froggy:, cook/baker (a chef of the past more than a chef of the future - like being able to "core a apple" the old fashioned way) and skilled at being an old grump. In some of my skills I consider myself an expert, as to others I figure to be mediocre to average at best.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    oh! i thought of one.

i can roll smokes. still not great at cigars, but i can work up a pack of smokes in a few minutes. used to smoke Bugler, could would roll on demand usually, but before a long road trip i would roll the whole pack up in about 5 minutes.

even if you aren't driving it's best not to roll your cigarette in view of a state trooper at stop light. they are cool about it once you show them its brown and not green but it can sure eat in to your schedule!

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I am a journeyman carpenter and General Contractor. I have the knowledge and ability to build building from the ground up
    I have the knowledge, ability, and experience to do it too. It just... might not be quite as code-compliant as yours. Or as dry. Or stable. But it will make a great fort!

Actually, I've been trying to learn some stone masonry basics. My wife's uncle has some neat old stone fences on his land, and they are in need of maintenance. Especially where a bulldozer found some while clearing. I would really like to have the time to fix them, and do it in a way they'll last another hundred or two hundred years. And to learn more about who put them in and how they used the land.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    oh! i thought of one.

i can roll smokes. still not great at cigars, but i can work up a pack of smokes in a few minutes. used to smoke Bugler, could would roll on demand usually, but before a long road trip i would roll the whole pack up in about 5 minutes.

even if you aren't driving it's best not to roll your cigarette in view of a state trooper at stop light. they are cool about it once you show them its brown and not green but it can sure eat in to your schedule!

But can you grow ,harvest, dry the tobacco? Just as important! I wish I knew how to, might make this my next project.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Well, I have some seed and a book on the subject. Going to give it a go one of these days.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Though if you are just after a nicotine fix and are short of space and need to grow food there are several other plants that co tain nicotine and some are easy to grow and bear nutritious fruit.

The main one that comes to mind is the humble tomato. A member of the night shade family the leaves contain a fair amount of nicotine, as well as other chemicals that can be used for medicinal or even weaponized uses. (It is my understanding these chemicals are destroyed when burned, but you might want to avoid dipping the leaves as you might end up shooting at imaginary bad guys

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I have never been a heavy, or addicted to tobacco person. I do on occasion like a nice cigar. But as a skill to feed the needs in a SHTF sitcom, it might be useful.

Top Bottom